Localization News: DQXI

Imutone

I think we'll get the 3DS version, the script is pretty much the same and even if it is at the end of it's life it still has a bigger install base than the PS4 and Switch combined, well at least for now anyway.

This.

What does it matter if a console is at the end of its life cycle? It's not like all 10,000,000 are going to simultaneously self-destruct. There's a huge 3DS user base, more than Switch. I could easily see them skipping the Switch version. I think we're getting the 3DS. 3e7865a5cdca486fea4d764ae9da3fdd.jpg

While I think it will come?  It's undeniable localisation efforts drop off once a system is nearing the end of its life.  I don't know why exactly as like you said it's not like the old systems people own self destruct but it's a fact that games have worse odds of localisation near the end of a systems life.  It's stupid but it is what it is.

If Dragon Quest XI doesn't get localised on the 3DS then you can be pretty much certain this is the reason.

I think we'll get the 3DS version, the script is pretty much the same and even if it is at the end of it's life it still has a bigger install base than the PS4 and Switch combined, well at least for now anyway.

Does it really though, especially talking about the western world?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

The 3DS shipped 67 million worldwide as of June 30, 2017.  The 3DS has sold 23 million units in Japan, leaving 44 million for outside Japan.

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170613.html

The PS4 sold through (don't know the shipment number) 60 million as of June 11, 2017.  The PS4 is at 5 million in Japan, leaving 55 million for outside Japan.

67 million shipped versus 60 million sold is pretty close, especially when you consider the 3DS first launched in February 2011 and the PS4 in November 2013 (more than two and a half years later). 

I could see a case of passing on the 3DS version in favor of the Switch version because the 3DS momentum is dying whereas the Switch is growing.  I'd imagine the Switch version will be completed before the western release of the game so it might make sense for Nintendo/Square-Enix to prioritize the Switch version over a 3DS version (assuming it's a "one or the other" type scenario obviously) to capitalize on the Switch's early success ("strike while the iron's hot" so to speak).

Now with that said I think the 3DS version is coming simply based on Nintendo's statements that "they aren't abandoning the 3DS" and that "Nintendo will support the 3DS in 2018 and beyond."  Dragon Quest 11 will likely be one of the last "major" 3DS titles and I think the install base is high enough to justify releasing the 3DS version.  I don't think the 3DS version is going to outsell the PS4 or Switch versions though.  The PS4 has the largest install base and the Switch is the new hotness.  The Switch install base will be over the 10 million mark by the time the western release comes and I think as people transition more and more from 3DS-to-Switch you will see a similar switch (no pun intended ;)) in software sales as well.

I think the only way we won't get a Nintendo version is if Sony stepped in to either help publish or market DQ 11 for the PS4 and more or less pay for PS4 exclusivity.  But I honestly don't think that's the case.  Sony didn't pay to keep Final Fantasy off Xbox or Steam so I don't think they'd pay up to keep Dragon Quest off the 3DS/Switch.  Now I'm clearly just guessing (ie "pulling numbers out of my bum" lol) but I'm about 90% sure the 3DS version is coming and about 75% sure the Switch version is coming.

Yeah, I totally get that it happens. Sucks. Gotta keep the hope!

Well, me keeping the hope is never in question.  I'm dedicated to having hope for all mainline Dragon Quest titles...except X but that's an MMO so it was unlikely to come since the West likely doesn't have the popularity to sustain a subscription MMO and Squenix definitely doesn't want any of their own games to compete with Final Fantasy XIV.

• Upvote 1

To get back on topic again, looks like we are getting the PS4 version so far. Sony posted the DQXI localization confirmation video on their site with PS4 in the title. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1k7CclCty0

I know this isn't 100% legit confirmation but let's be real: It was the version we were all expecting at the very least. 

Ohohoho! Looks like they've removed the trailer! Looks like we saw something we shouldn't have! 

To get back on topic again, looks like we are getting the PS4 version so far. Sony posted the DQXI localization confirmation video on their site with PS4 in the title. 

I know this isn't 100% legit confirmation but let's be real: It was the version we were all expecting at the very least. 

Ohohoho! Looks like they've removed the trailer! Looks like we saw something we shouldn't have! 

The plot thickens. ;)

Man I hope the 3DS version gets localized too.  It would be a shame not to get to experience the classic and DQ 9 style versions.

The plot thickens. ;)

Man I hope the 3DS version gets localized too.  It would be a shame not to get to experience the classic and DQ 9 style versions.

Basically just means Sony jumped the gun and posted that video too soon.

This I feel does improve the odds of the 3DS version coming, though it potentially could just be because they want to announce the PS4 and Switch versions at the same time.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch and PS4 versions in North America will release on the same day.

Yeah, I totally get that it happens. Sucks. Gotta keep the hope!

Well, me keeping the hope is never in question.  I'm dedicated to having hope for all mainline Dragon Quest titles...except X but that's an MMO so it was unlikely to come since the West likely doesn't have the popularity to sustain a subscription MMO and Squenix definitely doesn't want any of their own games to compete with Final Fantasy XIV.

Which is a shame, personally. I've wanted a DQ MMO for over a decade and would play the hell out of it.

Considering I've spent 9 years between both FFXI and FFXIV, and played EQ before that.

Ah well.

The plot thickens. ;)

Man I hope the 3DS version gets localized too. It would be a shame not to get to experience the classic and DQ 9 style versions.

Basically just means Sony jumped the gun and posted that video too soon.

This I feel does improve the odds of the 3DS version coming, though it potentially could just be because they want to announce the PS4 and Switch versions at the same time. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch and PS4 versions in North America will release on the same day.

I wouldn't doubt it. The Switch version (most likely) just wasn't ready to make the original launch alongside the 3DS and PS4 versions. It'll probably release in Japan before the year's end and when the western release happens in 2018 all three versions will launch at the same time. That would be my guess anyway.

• 2 months later...

So... Any chances for an actual announcement on Paris Games Week in two days? Square Enix usually appears on that event, though it would mean a PS4 exclusivity, so I hope that's not the case   :P

Edited by Rudra

So... Any chances for an actual announcement on Paris Games Week in two days? Square Enix usually appears on that event, though it would mean a PS4 exclusivity, so I hope that's not the case   :P

Well if we are being optimistic, that would be the best time to reveal more news as they gave a promise of more news in Fall and the most logical thing to do is make a presence during the largest(?) video game event in Fall. 

If we are being pessimistic, they'd announced news right after Paris Games just like they did with E3.  Or even worse, they don't mention anything until 2018 or something. 

Let's be optimistic!  

Hoping it comes September or later.

As much as I would love to say I want it ASAP, I wouldn't mind the delay either.

I still haven't played DQH2 or Builders.

Heeeey, you and I are in the same boat. Although, I am taking steps to correct that. Playing DQH, which might be a prelude to Heroes 2.

As much as I would love to say I want it ASAP, I wouldn't mind the delay either.

90edaf2112951093518d79226f7ca1a5.jpg

Heeeey, you and I are in the same boat. Although, I am taking steps to correct that. Playing DQH, which might be a prelude to Heroes 2.

DQH is one I've actually played and beat. First PS4 game played and beaten.

I actually got my PS4 to catch up on the DQ games. Of course, I was also playing DQ VIII at the same time, so my time has been split.

With DQ VIII beat, I'll probably be playing Fallout 4 and Pokemon UM (after it comes out) till January/February....then hop into DQH 2 next, followed by Builders.

Of course, my plans always change so in essence, they mean nothing lol

You seriously need to get those games! They are extremely fun! I plan on rebuying Builders for the Switch when I get one.

You seriously need to get those games! They are extremely fun! I plan on rebuying Builders for the Switch when I get one.

I know!

I used to buy every game that I wanted at the moment I wanted it but it resulted in a huge backlog of games that were purchased at far too high of a price.

Now I buy a few games, play and beat them, then move on. It helps ensure I actually beat the games I buy and also saves money because by the time I get a game the price has usually dropped. I do, however, make exceptions to the rule for major releases (like DQ VII and VIII for the 3DS, and other highly-desired retro games that I come across).

• Upvote 2

I know I cried a little bit of happiness when I found out. Question is, which version would I get... 3DS, PS4 or both. Since apparently there's going to be a cross save option via password.