Localization News: DQXI

Imutone

2 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Looks like I missed the big pun discussion. As with most things, I think the correct answer lies somewhere in the middle.

That's why it's statistically better to guess B or C on multiple choice tests.

19 hours ago, Hopeful Death said:

It's not.  It happens often early on because you only have 2 party members.

Go ahead and take a 999 agility character up against a slime and watch how many turns in a round you'll get against it.

Hint: It's one per character.

Okay! I'm not saying I did the math or actually sat and paid attention, just that it looked like getting more turns to me. 8D

22 hours ago, eal said:

@Michi you mentioned you’ve Platinum’d the Japanese version. Were any of the trophies based on stuff like “do this ridiculous thing in this sequence this way,” the kind of trophy you have to go out of your way to earn, or were they all just “collect all the stuff, do all the side quests” type of things?

I'm not sure what you mean by ridiculous thing in this sequence but... It's mostly collecting and sidequest stuff. There are ones for some random things like getting all the items of a set from different areas, if that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Michi said:

I'm not sure what you mean by ridiculous thing in this sequence but... It's mostly collecting and sidequest stuff. There are ones for some random things like getting all the items of a set from different areas, if that makes sense.

I was somewhat vague in explaining. I guess a better way to describe it are trophies that don’t matter when it comes to completing a game. Doing side quests, gathering collectibles, etc. are all things you do towards reaching 100% completion in a game. But sometimes, a game will throw in trophies that require you to do silly things outside what would be required for completion, such as arbitrarily saving 1,000,000 gold coins or something.

27 minutes ago, eal said:

I was somewhat vague in explaining. I guess a better way to describe it are trophies that don’t matter when it comes to completing a game. Doing side quests, gathering collectibles, etc. are all things you do towards reaching 100% completion in a game. But sometimes, a game will throw in trophies that require you to do silly things outside what would be required for completion, such as arbitrarily saving 1,000,000 gold coins or something.

There's a mix of both. :)

Was the monster name color changing in the battle menu in the original? If not, that's a a change I certainly don't like. It's close to hand holding, making the game easier. Part of the challenge is knowing your enemy and how to best take them down.

Just now, Dwaine said:

Was the monster name color changing in the battle menu in the original? If not, that's a a change I certainly don't like. It's close to hand holding, making the game easier. Part of the challenge is knowing your enemy and how to best take them down.

Part of me wants to agree with you, but a small part wants to say it's just for convenience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwaine said:

Yes, it did that when I played thru the Japanese version as well.

Eh, it’s not that big a deal it changes color. A lot of Atlus games do something similar. SMT games and Persona games show enemies either starting to collapse or flash red when selected to attack (depends on the game), Etrian Odyssey games always show you the enemy’s health bars when you target them and will begin to go into exhausted poses in the 3DS games, Radiant Historian(if I remember right) has enemies flash red when they are close to death...

The color of font changing is pretty tame.

It's been a staple of DQ since NES days for menus to change color when heroes were low on HP. Nice to turn that around on the monsters now!

On 5/2/2018 at 1:21 AM, david said:

lets see how long it stays on gamefaqs front page

wait what

I bought that issue of Edge that had a big feature on Dragon Quest XI. It’s all about how the game could be the one to finally help make the franchise a hit in the US. 

In regards to the localization, I’m gonna leave this here that I saw very early in the article:

6777300C-05EB-40AD-93C3-063D5B9BCA13.thumb.jpeg.28f4e41a8d848d5916e5b1c69cde2caa.jpeg

I guess DQ9 wasn't a big success even though it sold very well in the west.

#$*!ing Square Enix, man. Sometimes it's hard to care about them.

The part that threw me about this paragraph was where they state VIII sold half a million and that’s a series record here. Haven’t people been saying that IX sold over a million here?

Sales figures indicate that DQIX sold just over 1 million in the US

26 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
51 minutes ago, Democrobot said:
Sales figures indicate that DQIX sold just over 1 million in the US

Yu doesn't think so.

The sales weren’t a quote by Yu Miyake, that was a bit that the magazine themselves included. I thought maybe it was referencing UK sales but they specifically say it was a record for the US region.

Maybe they don't include IX because it wasn't a Square Enix success, it was a Nintendo success? Also, while IX may have sold more than VIII, IX's localization was the most shoddy of them all. To this day, I still can't be immersed in IX's world because the poor writing for the English script is simultaneously boring and distracting.

2 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Maybe they don't include IX because it wasn't a Square Enix success, it was a Nintendo success? Also, while IX may have sold more than VIII, IX's localization was the most shoddy of them all. To this day, I still can't be immersed in IX's world because the poor writing for the English script is simultaneously boring and distracting.

I thought people said that about DQVI’s script (not counting Platty and eal).

VI's english script does have a bit of an identity crisis (underestandable since it got shifted to a different team mid-localization), and certain points can be a little drab, but it never gets to the point where the game is no longer enjoyable. IX, on the other hand, bombards you with puns with every block of text you read. It distracts from the adventure - IX feels less like an epic quest and more like a very poorly written sitcom.

VI's english script does have a bit of an identity crisis (underestandable since it got shifted to a different team mid-localization), and certain points can be a little drab, but it never gets to the point where the game is no longer enjoyable. IX, on the other hand, bombards you with puns with every block of text you read. It distracts from the adventure - IX feels less like an epic quest and more like a very poorly written sitcom.
Say that again about my alma mater, Swinedimples Academy to my face, you pig!

2 hours ago, eal said:

The part that threw me about this paragraph was where they state VIII sold half a million and that’s a series record here. Haven’t people been saying that IX sold over a million here?

No, 9 sold 500~600k in the US (likely more than 8 overall, when I checked numbers indicators are they're neck and neck or 9 sold just slightly more if we consider sell-off rates).  I think it has to do with 9 being Nintendo published, 8 being SE published, as well as 11 being based off of 8, 8 being the first major hit in the US for the DQ series in breaking that 500k barrier without offering free copies with Nintendo Power subscriptions, and 8 also being the most cited favourite in the West.

It is idiotic when SE seems to know full well we actually DO pay attention to details, then pretends we don't.

It's like their Dragon Quest Heroes e3 statement that the DQ game fans were demanding was Heroes, and not DQ7 (or 8, but at the time it was almost exclusively 7).  Then having other interviews clearly indicating they know full well 7 was the demanded game and almost no mention of Heroes at any point in our letters, blog responses, facebook responses, twitter responses, fan art submissions, petitions, etc. etc.

It's a tactic of marketing.  DQ8 is what they're basing this game on, and is the game they want to link 11 to the most.

You have to remember, except for Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS, SE has never once publicly even acknowledged any of the Nintendo releases.  It could even have been a clause in the contract, that all media messages related to 9 DS are through Nintendo.  It could be that it's based purely on the gameplay style, and if this game had a class system, we might be hearing all about Dragon Quest IX's success.  However, 8 was handled exclusively by SE alone, and without even Sony's help.  So it's a mark of pride I'm sure that they managed 500+k in sales in the US, and they want to eclipse that by continuing that legacy and using it as a backstop.

1 hour ago, eal said:

The sales weren’t a quote by Yu Miyake, that was a bit that the magazine themselves included. I thought maybe it was referencing UK sales but they specifically say it was a record for the US region.

That was a mistake.  The sales he was quoting were US and EU, 6 months after Nintendo released.  Total sales for DQ9 in the US and Europe are closer to 1.2~1.3m a year after.  We don't know what total sellthrough rates were after the fact, but Nintendo printed that game continuously for 2 years after release.  That suggests consistent sales even after that point.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ignasia said:

No, 9 sold 500~600k in the US (likely more than 8 overall, when I checked numbers indicators are they're neck and neck or 9 sold just slightly more if we consider sell-off rates).  I think it has to do with 9 being Nintendo published, 8 being SE published, as well as 11 being based off of 8, 8 being the first major hit in the US for the DQ series in breaking that 500k barrier without offering free copies with Nintendo Power subscriptions, and 8 also being the most cited favourite in the West.

It is idiotic when SE seems to know full well we actually DO pay attention to details, then pretends we don't.

It's like their Dragon Quest Heroes e3 statement that the DQ game fans were demanding was Heroes, and not DQ7 (or 8, but at the time it was almost exclusively 7).  Then having other interviews clearly indicating they know full well 7 was the demanded game and almost no mention of Heroes at any point in our letters, blog responses, facebook responses, twitter responses, fan art submissions, petitions, etc. etc.

It's a tactic of marketing.  DQ8 is what they're basing this game on, and is the game they want to link 11 to the most.

You have to remember, except for Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS, SE has never once publicly even acknowledged any of the Nintendo releases.  It could even have been a clause in the contract, that all media messages related to 9 DS are through Nintendo.  It could be that it's based purely on the gameplay style, and if this game had a class system, we might be hearing all about Dragon Quest IX's success.  However, 8 was handled exclusively by SE alone, and without even Sony's help.  So it's a mark of pride I'm sure that they managed 500+k in sales in the US, and they want to eclipse that by continuing that legacy and using it as a backstop.

It's sad how Nintendo had to step in several times to help publish Square Enix RPGs in the west for the 3DS. You'd have thought after how well Bravely Default did and how surprised SE was by how it sold they would have jumped at the chance to self-publish their games.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

30 minutes ago, ignasia said:

It’s worth mentioning that the bit I shared was the only reference to any other specific game in the entire article, aside from referencing the different consoles the last three games came out on and the DQ III Japanese law anecdote that people like to mention to get the lay-reader’s attention.

The article itself was about how they’re hoping this will be the game that makes Dragon Quest big in the West and how they plan to do it.

Edited by eal