Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

It hurts, but i may be done with the series. at least the localized version. The more i see of this new one the more it just looks like a lesser DQ8 with standard graphics. more and more i can see how FF is doing better, and it's heart breaking. this really hurts. but some big changes must happen i think. for DQ to be taken seriously outside japan. the series may have to go on a break here then after sometime make a refreshed come back.

Let's hope no one ever takes david's suggestions seriously.

There's no reason for the series to "go on a break," just because you don't like the translations.

16 minutes ago, david said:

It hurts, but i may be done with the series. at least the localized version. The more i see of this new one the more it just looks like a lesser DQ8 with standard graphics. more and more i can see how FF is doing better, and it's heart breaking. this really hurts. but some big changes must happen i think. for DQ to be taken seriously outside japan. the series may have to go on a break here then after sometime make a refreshed come back.

1-Please-Tell-Me-More-Meme.jpg

17 minutes ago, david said:

I wish you'd give it a chance. I don't understand what's got you so worked up. It's a beautiful game with a touching story and great characters. There's a TON to see and do and discover. The new features for America are really well done. I think it's better than DQ8. The voice acting is really good overall, and despite the changes the localization was handled really well.

This is also coming from someone that plays most Dragon Quest games in Japanese because I've been personally not as happy with the localization of previous titles. I'm really excited to replay DQ11, a game I already got platinum on in Japanese on PS4, in English with the voices and new additions!

20 minutes ago, david said:

but some big changes must happen i think. for DQ to be taken seriously outside japan. the series may have to go on a break here then after sometime make a refreshed come back.

I can’t imagine a lot of new people coming in to play the game and saying, “this game sucks, I wish it had less personality and was a 1:1 translation of the Japanese game.”

2 minutes ago, eal said:

I can’t imagine a lot of new people coming in to play the game and saying, “this game sucks, I wish it had less personality and was a 1:1 translation of the Japanese game.”

Very few people would. I think I recall one thread over on Gamefaqs where something similar was said, though not about DQ. That guy was laughed out of the thread.

Just now, eal said:

You, are a part of the problem. people like you saying that cursed line about "personality" that is a damned slap to the face of the creators. 

On 5/1/2018 at 6:12 PM, david said:

You, are a part of the problem. people like you saying that cursed line about "personality" that is a damned slap to the face of the creators. 

I know I already used this picture, but I gotta use it again after seeing this post:

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

So sword of dusk, you think DQ series is just fine hmm? its right up there next to skyrim, god of war and monster hunter. once it comes lets see how long it stays on gamefaqs front page. we will see where it settles down after a month of hype. 

10 minutes ago, david said:

Please, try harder.

I am being me. not trying anything. stating my opinions. 

Image result for popcorn gif

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Image result for popcorn gif

What a good use of that gif.

12 minutes ago, david said:

I am being me. not trying anything. stating my opinions. 

Really? Because it sounds like you keep touting your word as fact. As if you are the only one who matters. Maybe that's not your intention, but I advise that you check yourself. 

You are not the only fan that matters. Your opinion is likely in the minority. Instead of moaning and groaning, try doing what Iggy said. It's a lot more productive than going "Oh, I hate these puns! They ruin the game, and it needs to be the way I want it!"

Just now, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Really? Because it sounds like you keep touting your word as fact. As if you are the only one who matters. Maybe that's not your intention, but I advise that you check yourself. 

You are not the only fan that matters. Your opinion is likely in the minority. Instead of moaning and groaning, try doing what Iggy said. It's a lot more productive than going "Oh, I hate these puns! They ruin the game, and it needs to be the way I want it!"

Thats what i meant earlier by saying that it seems most DQ fans just lay back and accept these changes. Going by that if i want to enjoy the game i just have to learn to accept the changes brought on us by the localization team. I would love to just be able to switch my love and care for the series past 8 off and be done. i wouldn't even be here. 

31 minutes ago, david said:

I’d make the argument that localization is a “slap in the face of the creators” is a part of the problem. The idea that any change you don’t like is damaging the artist’s “creative vision.” I see lines like that everywhere. How can you speak for the creators themselves more so then the localization team, that more often then not actually communicates with them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david said:

Thats what i meant earlier by saying that it seems most DQ fans just lay back and accept these changes. Going by that if i want to enjoy the game i just have to learn to accept the changes brought on us by the localization team. I would love to just be able to switch my love and care for the series past 8 off and be done. i wouldn't even be here. 

No, most DQ fans can appreciate the changes. Think about how many other RPGs there are. If DQ used a bland and literal translation, it wouldn't even be a blip on most radars. It'd blend in with everything else. In its current state, it has a personality that no other game I've come across has.

1 minute ago, eal said:

I’d make the argument that localization is a “slap in the face of the creators” is a part of the problem. The idea that any change you don’t like is damaging the artist’s “creative vision.” I see lines like that everywhere. How can you speak for the creators themselves more so then the localization team, that more often then not actually communicates with them?

That is a good point. why do they want that? it really makes me wonder what is going on. If this was back in the 90's i would think things was getting lost big time in translation between the localization team and Yuji. 

I'd hate to be someone who gets so hung up on the translation for games. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always been drawn to Dragon Quest for the gameplay and simple structure, and once I got back into the series I found myself liking the character interactions via party chat. I'll always replay this series for the adventures they provide, not because of how their freaking translated.

Am I aware of the puns and such? Sure. Do I really care they have become part of the series? No. As long as it's in a language I understand, they can do whatever they want with the English translations.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

2 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

No, most DQ fans can appreciate the changes. Think about how many other RPGs there are. If DQ used a bland and literal translation, it wouldn't even be a blip on most radars. It'd blend in with everything else. In its current state, it has a personality that no other game I've come across has.

I don't get it. what is to appreciate to changing name that drastically. if they was related, eh ok. but infernus crab to F-ing crabber dabber doo? what?

2 minutes ago, david said:

I don't get it. what is to appreciate to changing name that drastically. if they was related, eh ok. but infernus crab to F-ing crabber dabber doo? what?

Do you even know what that name references? How an older player might smile upon realizing it?

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'd hate to be someone who gets so hung up on the translation for games. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always been drawn to Dragon Quest for the gameplay and simple structure, and once I got back into the series I found myself liking the character interactions via party chat. I'll always replay this series for the adventures they provide, not because of how their freaking translated.

Am I aware of the puns and such? Sure. Do I really care they have become part of the series? No. As long as it's in a language I understand, they can do whatever they want with the English translations.

Yes, Dragon Quest at its core is good. as long as its in a language you understand eh? so if all the dialog when completely off track like a parody dub it would be cool right? 

6 minutes ago, david said:

That is a good point. why do they want that? it really makes me wonder what is going on. If this was back in the 90's i would think things was getting lost big time in translation between the localization team and Yuji. 

Because most artists just want their works to be enjoyed by a broad audience, and it’s understood that tastes are different from culture to culture, and making suitable adjustments is the job of a good localization team. Which I firmly believe the last decade of Dragon Quest games have been blessed with.

Just now, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Do you even know what that name references? How an older player might smile upon realizing it?

what does scooby doo have any connections with a random crab in DQ3? 

Just now, eal said:

Because most artists just want their works to be enjoyed by a broad audience, and it’s understood that tastes are different from culture to culture, and making suitable adjustments is the job of a good localization team. Which I firmly believe the last decade of Dragon Quest games have been blessed with.

"blessed" its a mad house, A MAD HOUSE! 2+2=5  2+2=5

There are a lot of people here that share your opinions on pun changes who have expressed their opinions respectfully, and because of this, though I’ve disagreed with their opinions, I still respected them and treated them with respect because they did the same for me. And not just for something silly like this, but other, more serious and complicated subjects we’ve talked about on these forums.

How can you expect that level of respect when you won’t give it in turn? And over such a minor thing, in the grand scheme of things. Who would choose name changes and accents in a damn video game as their hill to die on?

Edited by eal
  • Like 1