Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

I honestly love all the puns -_-

I wish I could say the same. It sounds beyond horrible. It's not just that it's synthetic, it's just that it's completely devoid of everything that makes Sugiyama's music sound good, and most of the other games in the DQ series had that problem, so I have no idea why they keep doing it like this. I absolutely loved the orchestral soundtrack releases for most of the games, but I rarely care for how it comes out in the games. Except from DQ8 for obvious reasons. And DQ Builders, that one did it well.

You know Builders wasn't orchestrated though, right? It's the same synthetic stuff. It sounds fine to me, anyway.

Also, "they" keep doing it like this because that's Sugiyama's decision.

• Like 3

You know Builders wasn't orchestrated though, right? It's the same synthetic stuff. It sounds fine to me, anyway.
Also, "they" keep doing it like this because that's Sugiyama's decision.
It's a shame I like Like this 10 times!

So, i guess i am the only one that thinks we now only have Dragon Quest Abridged? 

What I was saying is, synthetic music can sound great. In fact it does in most video games ever made. It just doesn't in DQXI.

Ignoring the fact that I've already perused the soundtrack, even just watching the western announcement trailer, it's immediately grating.

6 minutes ago, Sumez said:

What I was saying is, synthetic music can sound great. In fact it does in most video games ever made. It just doesn't in DQXI.

Ignoring the fact that I've already perused the soundtrack, even just watching the western announcement trailer, it's immediately grating.

What is the deal with this? was 2005 (DQ8) just a time before Sugiyama started cracking down on his symphonic version being used? 

Pretty much. He started cracking down...three years ago? Four? About when streaming started getting big.

Ah that's why there is a message about streaming and the soundtrack. what a shame i guess that explains some youtube videos disappearing. There was one i really liked it was a recording of DQ4 Symphonic Suite. 

Edited by david

On 4/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, david said:

So, i guess i am the only one that thinks we now only have Dragon Quest Abridged? 

Nope. We aren't. We're getting the same amount of content.  It's just localized.

I get the sense that you'd prefer no localization and instead want a formal translation, but I don't generally think that is a good business practice.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:40 PM, AustNerevar said:
On 4/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, eal said:
I’m accumulating hours up until release so I can take the whole week off.

My paternity leave should coincide with the release...

That's perfect! How long are you taking off?

On 4/20/2018 at 6:26 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I might take a day or two off when the game launches, but that's not guaranteed. I've never taken time off or called in sick just to play a new game.

I certainly won't call in sick. Probably just take a vacation day or two.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dragon-quest-xi-ps4-pre-order-bonuses-announced-for-north-america

GameStop (United States) / EB Games (Canada)
Eight exclusive collectible two-inch buttons featuring the main cast and the mysterious spirits of lost time
The “Elevating Vest” – A snazzy waistcoat that awards the wearer with extra experience every time they win a battle
Three “Seeds of Skill” – A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it (consumed upon use)
Amazon
“Arriviste’s Vest” – A glitzy gold waistcoat that awards the wearer with extra money every time a battle is won
Three “Seeds of Skill” – A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it (consumed upon use)
PSN
Exclusive theme, Seed of Skill x 15, Über Agate of Evolution x 3 and the Vest for Success.
Steam
Exclusive Wallpaper Set - Steam exclusive Wallpapers featuring a range of vivid artwork.
Seed of Skill x15
Wings of Serendipity - Wear this round your neck to bring rare forms of regular monsters running from all around!

Elevating Vest+0/1/2/3 = 5 / 12 / 19 / 28 Def, EXP + 10%, Cap = 75 Exp per battle
Arriviste's Vest+0/1/2/3 = 5 / 12 / 19 / 28 Def, Gold + 10%, Cap = 15 Gold per battle
Vest for Success+0/1/2/3 = 5 / 12 / 19 / 28 Def, Item Drop Rate +1%
They really really really want to pump up digital sales.  15 seeds of skill veruss 3, 3 of the highest tier upgrade items, and the best of the vests.  Apparently, according to Then00bAvenger, the equipment that adds to drop rate stacks additively.  There's one Vest that appear in game normally from a quest, and three of a different name for the ladies.  So the only way to get two of the unisex vests is to pre-order via PSN.
Edited by ignasia

Based on those numbers, I don't know if any of the preorders are worth it in my opinion. Playing thru 95% of the Japanese version, I didn't rush thru the areas, battled most random monsters and never really had an issue with levels or cash. I guess I will wait and see what the collectors edition entails.

Even a little plush spirit guy would be more worth my money that those bonuses.

1 minute ago, Woodus said:

Based on those numbers, I don't know if any of the preorders are worth it in my opinion. Playing thru 95% of the Japanese version, I didn't rush thru the areas, battled most random monsters and never really had an issue with levels or cash. I guess I will wait and see what the collectors edition entails.

Agreed. I don’t need some sort of accessory or piece of equipment to improve EXP or gold. I battle most every encounter I come across in RPGs unless I know I’m S.O.L, so like you Woodus I’ve never run into those issues in DQ games.

Explains too why it takes me twice as long as others to play thru a game :)

23 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Agreed. What crappy preorder stuff. Capping gold at 15! Meh, I'll stick with Amazon for the $12 off. Gotta pay for the Prime cost increase somehow. 

11 hours ago, The Mystical One said:

Nope. We aren't. We're getting the same amount of content.  It's just localized.

I get the sense that you'd prefer no localization and instead want a formal translation, but I don't generally think that is a good business practice.

By abridged i mean altered content. And yes i would prefer a formal translation, like the golden age of DQ games.

IMG_0703.JPG.b38f87a02b14983e57e91e339f8a847b.JPG

• Like 1

I may be alone on this, but I really want those pins from GameStop haha. I like collecting stuff like that, however, if there is an actual collectors edition, I’m going with that. Most certainly. 

14 hours ago, david said:

By abridged i mean altered content. And yes i would prefer a formal translation, like the golden age of DQ games.

That's not what abridged means. And you're kidding yourself if you think the older DQ games were a formal/straight translation and not localized. It's not like they were in Olde English in Japanese. There were name changes all the time, for characters and spells. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here!

On 4/30/2018 at 7:27 AM, The Mystical One said:

Honestly we're getting more content since there's new features, like an expanded difficulty mode and the dash button, along with other things...!

2 hours ago, AzureVoid said:

I may be alone on this, but I really want those pins from GameStop haha. I like collecting stuff like that, however, if there is an actual collectors edition, I’m going with that. Most certainly. 

I like them. :)  And there will be indeed be a special edition exclusive to the Square Enix Store with bonus stuff, for PS4. If it was me, I think I'd still do the GameStop one for the pins, give that copy as a gift to a friend, and get the Square Enix Store edition. 8D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Michi said:

I like them. :)  And there will be indeed be a special edition exclusive to the Square Enix Store with bonus stuff, for PS4. If it was me, I think I'd still do the GameStop one for the pins, give that copy as a gift to a friend, and get the Square Enix Store edition. 8D

That isn't a bad plan either, any ballpark ETA on that SE SE (Square-Enix Special Edition) ;)

7 minutes ago, Woodus said:

That isn't a bad plan either, any ballpark ETA on that SE SE (Square-Enix Special Edition) ;)

Can't say, but it'll be a big announcement when it happens. ;)

3 hours ago, Michi said:

That's not what abridged means. And you're kidding yourself if you think the older DQ games were a formal/straight translation and not localized. It's not like they were in Olde English in Japanese. There were name changes all the time, for characters and spells. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here!

I am talking about the games from 1998-2001. those are the more formally translated games.

9 minutes ago, david said:

I am talking about the games from 1998-2001. those are the more formally translated games.

So in the 30 years of the franchise’s existence, you only liked 3 years worth of it?

3 hours ago, Michi said:

Can't say, but it'll be a big announcement when it happens. ;)

Sounds good :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, david said:

Actually that is true.  Spells retained their NES-era names, with a few exceptions, like Twinhits instead of Bikill (which WAS a transliteration of Bikilt, which is how the Japanese name is pronounced...meaning the original NES version was the transliteration, while the GBC/PSX version was a more "formal" and direct translation).

However while you do get more puns in Dragon Warrior VII, as it was the most direct of all translations (likely due to size and time limitations), you do get some exceedingly direct and unfun...common names like "Evil Statue", however there are still a surprising number of puns like Wetlock = locked in Wetness, or Loomin = Looming destruction, or Probina = Feminized...or feminine Problems...ie the statue, or Mardra = classy way to rewrite the Murder, like of like Murdaw, or Mortamor.  There's also Mt. Tor = Tourist trap.

That said, 90% of the worlds are shrunken due to space constraints, and barely fit the required space to showcase the same level of puns, and as such some situations don't translate well and the obvious time limitations led to simplifying the scenario writing and it's a little boring or drags on a bit longer.  Like the Deja/Roamers.  It's better handled in the 3DS version and it cuts down on a bit on the extra dialogue, especially explaining the Roamer's purpose.

The current trends are more clever, more thoughtful, and they're going to stay no matter what you say or do.  So the only thing you can do is learn to find things that you do appreciate about it.  Maybe consider the amount of effort that goes into crafting as many puns as does exist in each new translation.  Or the heavy accenting, and consistency of maintaining that accent.  The NES era was easy, as everyone had the same terrible faux old-english.  It definitely has some charm though, and it definitely uplifts the style from the more generic GBC and PSX era.  I get that it takes time to process the reasoning behind certain name changes, or maybe why some are drastically altered, while others are only slightly, and some even remain the same as the Japanese original.  Maybe it felt more in-line with the current trends.  The main thing is that is it's consistent now, but was at its most inconsistent in the era you love so much, and probably mostly due to time constraints, or an attempt to change direction and going with a more formal American English, which at the time was a common thread amongst game translations.

I don't know, I used to dislike the current trends.  Especially the spell names, but over time I've grown used to it, and it doesn't help to hate a game for something I can't change, and thus destroy a good experience over a silly issue.  I decided that something like my issues with the puns, with the spell name changes wasn't worth harping on about.  It's not like they changed the CONTEXT of the story.  It's not like they changed the WAY THE CHARACTERS DEVELOP, or the MEANING of different scenarios.  That's still there.  So it isn't like anything is being censored, not like in the NES era.  Though I guess you can claim that for the GBC/PSX era, however it just doesn't have the same flavour.  Or maybe I should say, I take each era as itself, and its own, and just enjoy them for what they are.  I just happen to have grown to like and prefer the current and consistent stylizations.  It really fits DQ's aesthetic, and it definitely makes it stand out from other games and series.

3 minutes ago, ignasia said:

It's not like they changed the CONTEXT of the story.  It's not like they changed the WAY THE CHARACTERS DEVELOP, or the MEANING of different scenarios.  That's still there.  So it isn't like anything is being censored, not like in the NES era. 

But muh boob sliders and Fatal Frame costumes and skinship.

• Like 1