Localization News: DQXI

Imutone

Or they're just faking it to get the time off. Which would be cheaper? Getting the fake stomachs or getting really fat?
Well, I dont have a uterus so I think I'm covered there.

18 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I am becoming more and more motivated to take vacation days surrounding the release of this game. I really need to be able to sink my teeth in, so to speak...

I might take a day or two off when the game launches, but that's not guaranteed. I've never taken time off or called in sick just to play a new game.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I might take a day or two off when the game launches, but that's not guaranteed. I've never taken time off or called in sick just to play a new game.
I took a week off work back when Skyrim came out and I took a day off recently when DQ Builders came to Switch.

28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This happened with a new CoD game when I was in high school. Bunch of people called out sick and stayed up all night.

Only time I did something like that was when I cancelled plans with a friend to play Persona 5.

25 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I took a week off work back when Skyrim came out and I took a day off recently when DQ Builders came to Switch.

I've always figured a game could wait. I may think about the new game all day, but eh, there will be free time later.

Dragon Quest XI may change that, but we'll see in a few months.

For me the last few releases I have take a day off, the DS remakes, builders, Heroes 1 and 2 :)

On 4/3/2018 at 2:34 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Both the Heroes and Builders games have midi music, not orchestral/symphonic.

This, but everyone - it's not MIDI! MIDI is nowhere near as nice sounding as the synthesized soundtracks of DQ games. I personally have zero problem with the way the games sound without orchestrated soundtracks, and consider the orchestrated versions a separate treat. I'm not just saying that because I work for SE. :P

• Like 1

I just wish the synth quality was better. But I have my symphonic suites, so they can do whatever they want in the games.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Well, I dont have a uterus so I think I'm covered there.

A trivial detail. It's 2018. You can get away with a lot of stuff these days.

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

A trivial detail. It's 2018. You can get away with a lot of stuff these days.

Except being connected to Michael Cohen.

• Like 1

So, is the horrible pun ridden english version going to have a orchestral sound track or chip tunes?

46 minutes ago, david said:

So, is the wonderfully pun ridden english version going to have a orchestral sound track or chip tunes?

It's not likely to change from the midi soundtrack. 

11 hours ago, Michi said:

This, but everyone - it's not MIDI! MIDI is nowhere near as nice sounding as the synthesized soundtracks of DQ games. I personally have zero problem with the way the games sound without orchestrated soundtracks, and consider the orchestrated versions a separate treat. I'm not just saying that because I work for SE. :P

It's still classified as MIDI though.  Most synthesized music is in MIDI format, and all DQ music uses a MIDI synthesizer.  That's essentially the name of purely synthesized music/instruments.  You're thinking of 8-bit, which was just the standard at the time of the NES.  The SNES titles were 16-bit MIDI quality/format, and the PSX 32-bit.  Now it's just higher quality and better synchronization with real instrument format, but with that distinct computerized flavour.  They could go for authentic, but it wouldn't have that computer generated feel to it.

Though I agree.  The Midi format they use now is quite good.  I still greatly prefer authentic instruments, or if they synthesized with a system with true instrument sounds, though a natural recording definitely has an audible distinction of...I don't know, it feels more authentic and real.  Though with a really good synthesizer program you cannot audibly tell the difference, as it can mimic audience hall echoes perfectly.  Much like they can mimic voices perfectly now, pitch, personal/natural inflections, etc.  Though there's a distinct digital element to such recordings that only a computer can determine.  However I like to think the human ear on some level can distinguish between high quality synth music designed to be a perfect mimicry of live play versus actual recordings of live play.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

On 2018/4/21 at 2:06 AM, Sword_of_Dusk said:

It's not likely to change from the midi soundtrack. 

You must think thats cute. changing what i said about the changes of DQ games. i hate the changes. it is in no way, wonderful. it sucks. most of you have laid back and accepted it.I know its better when it sticks to the script. 

7 minutes ago, david said:

You must think thats cute. changing what i said about the changes of DQ games. i hate the changes. it is in no way, wonderful. it sucks. most of you have laid back and accepted it.I know its better when it sticks to the script. 

Yeesh. Someone thinks awful highly of their opinion.

the guy changed what i had said. he didn't even mention he changed it. like what some people do. the will word a post differently and say "fixed" don't get me wrong because i would still be aggravated. the pun ridden localization can go screw off.  

2 minutes ago, david said:

the guy changed what i had said. he didn't even mention he changed it. like what some people do. the will word a post differently and say "fixed" don't get me wrong because i would still be aggravated. the pun ridden localization can go screw off.  

I wasn't even referring to Sword_of_Dusk - he does have a name, you know - rewording your post. I'm referring to your comment about how we have "laid back and accepted it." Not gonna lie, wording yourself like that makes you come across as a jerk with a "holier-than-thou," attitude.

It's fine if you don't like the puns, but there's no need to be rude about it.

I got a good laugh out of his change. Thanks@Sword_of_Dusk!

Laid back and accepted it? That's some really strong words to level at this community. We don't have to agree, but to be a member here for 10 years and just come back after years to insult fans and the series, that's some sort of special we just don't need. I think they're missing you on GameFAQs.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, david said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

1) Most of us, and frankly, most gamers would prefer the symphonic renditions.  It's a rather huge point of contention many of us lamented at with the DQ7 and 8 localizations.  However, there isn't much we can do beyond write to SE and request a change they themselves already advocate, but have no choice in the matter due to rights being owned by Koichi Sugiyama.  So perhaps rather than lay blame at the feet of fans on this forum, maybe learn to suck it up like the rest of us do, and enjoy the fact the games are being released.  If you really want to make a change, perhaps write to Sugiyama...start a facebook group or webpage dedicated to it.

Did you ever ask whether we have written to change things, or request changes?  Nope, and yes, we have, or at least a few of us have.  The attempt is futile without making a convincing argument to Sugiyama, and/or his retirement and granting full control to whomever he chooses as a successor.

At least the MIDI synthesizer quality has drastically increased over the years, and instruments are easier to distinguish, and as such it sounds more melodic and smooth.  You could always learn to get used to the sounds unless you really want to spend the energy in attempting to alter Koichi Sugiyama's opinion on the matter.  Given he's aging and is rather adamant in his preference, and likely won't even take bribes of higher pay per release...as apparently SE has wanted the symphonic versions for all releases since DQ8's International PS2 release...good luck.  I highly recommend learning to enjoy it, and learning not to let it bother you.  A good start is to find something in the rendition that you do enjoy, then hum it.  Or you can just overlay the orchestral version by playing it on your computer instead, or play other music on a random sequencer.  Annoying, but you have options.

You could also learn to hack your PS4, or wait for a fan patch for the PC version, then replace the MIDI with orchestrated music.

2) That was bad form on Sword's part, but not exactly a huge issue.  You're personalizing it so you can vent your anger at him rather than at SE for your distaste over the localization elements.

3) I, and many others, have either grown accustomed to the puns, or thoroughly enjoy them.  Do note that the original games have puns.  The NES translations lacked them, removing all of them entirely, but the GBC and PSX had plenty to spare.  Granted they're thicker since the merger, but it gives DQ a unique flavour.  Most of them are downright clever, and it never gets old if you just look at them with an open mind and appreciate the thought process.  Since you don't, it's your loss.

4) Yuji Horii, since the DQ8 release on PS2, was directly part and parcel to the localization efforts and tradition.  He enjoyed the accents, as they give a distinct flavour he himself likes to think is an aspect of his games in Japan: each region is like a country on this planet.  Just look at DQ3/7/8/9 for the most obvious form of this style and feel.  The others have it to some degree, just not as obvious in the original text.  He was also very happy and approved of the puns.  So it's not going to change.  Either learn to like it, or learn to not let it bother you.  It helps if you want to enjoy the experience.  You're not supposed to like everything in life, but tastes can and do change, and most of this is due to opening up to appreciating something that was formally a hated or disliked element.  New perspective and all that.  We learn this socially in high school, we learn this in terms of food in our mother's kitchens in middle school after we get used to the taste of broccoli.

5) What's the point of this fight when if anything, you should be laughing at yourself over Sword's alteration and the direction of his posting, in trying to point out your beef over something intangible and unchangeable.

While yes, modern DQ music (at least as it is heard in-game) is probably written with standard MIDI equipment, and Sugiyama likely has all his music sitting around in MIDI format, it is not stored or read as a MIDI on the game disk/cart/download. The music has been recorded into a streaming format, and from a technical standpoint is no different than orchestrated music.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I mute the game and listen to a podcast when I’m level grinding, so I spend like 60% of my time without listening to the music.

5 hours ago, ignasia said:

At least the MIDI synthesizer quality has drastically increased over the years, and instruments are easier to distinguish, and as such it sounds more melodic and smooth.

Eh, I'd argue it's not the best quality midi they could be using for the series. Plenty of other games use midi and they sound much better in terms of quality.

But like I said before, at this point I don't care what they use. I've a feeling we won't see an improved sound system until Sugiyama is no longer at the reigns. 

It's too bad he just doesn't have a small group of performers play/record the music for the games, similar to what Yuzo Koshiro does, while keeping the big orchestra symphonic suites as something else.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I mute the game and listen to a podcast when I’m level grinding, so I spend like 60% of my time without listening to the music.

I tend to do the same when watching TV in the evenings with my wife

• Like 2

My new favorite is emulation or PC gaming with 1 window Netflix, 1 game. Zero game sounds.

My new favorite is emulation or PC gaming with 1 window Netflix, 1 game. Zero game sounds.
Hell, I even do this in VR. Just pin a window in the corner of my vision and start up YouTube or something.
  • Like 1