Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

What I don't get is, if Sugiyama is being so stingy about his copyrights, how come it's affecting all the main entries in the series, while spinoffs like Builders and Heroes get the full orchestral versions? If anything I'd think it should be the other way around.

I also have a really hard time imagining he'd be more attached to MIDI versions of his compositions which are very obviously created for symphonic arrangements. In pretty much any other game, I'm fine with synthetic music, but DQ music just works best (in many cases I'd even say it only works) played by a real orchestra.

Sugiyama for being such a great talent is a pretty entitled ass when it comes to fair use. And keeping orchestral versions out of localizations is just anti-fan. I've decided that, as much as I enjoy his music, I do not like him at all. If I could avoid giving him my money at all while still playing DQ, then I would.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Sugiyama for being such a great talent is a pretty entitled ass when it comes to fair use. And keeping orchestral versions out of localizations is just anti-fan. I've decided that, as much as I enjoy his music, I do not like him at all. If I could avoid giving him my money at all while still playing DQ, then I would.

That would depend if he got royalties. He probably just gets paid per game, in which case there’s nothing you can do about it.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

What I don't get is, if Sugiyama is being so stingy about his copyrights, how come it's affecting all the main entries in the series, while spinoffs like Builders and Heroes get the full orchestral versions? If anything I'd think it should be the other way around.

My guess is those pieces were composed and recorded before he tightened the screws.

As an artist, I'm all for intellectual property being properly credited and compensated. And Sugiyama has from the very beginning! At the same time, he's not composing for himself. He's composing for a company, for a product. Those rights shouldn't hinder the product. Maybe his initial rights only allow the synth arrangements and everything else is an additional, significant addition.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I also have a really hard time imagining he'd be more attached to MIDI versions of his compositions which are very obviously created for symphonic arrangements. In pretty much any other game, I'm fine with synthetic music, but DQ music just works best (in many cases I'd even say it only works) played by a real orchestra.

Both the Heroes and Builders games have midi music, not orchestral/symphonic.

http://gamerhub.tv/article/851587/square-enix-presentation-dragon-quest-11-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-recap-pax-east-2018

"During the presentation it was revealed that the story for DQ11 is vast and deep and the world is massive. The developers said that the main story in DQ11 has about 90+hrs and that doesn’t include side quests, that’s just the main game. If you want to add side quests to that, the playtime for the game could be well over 100 hrs. Since the game has so much initial content, there are no plans for post launch DLC but that could always change between now and launch. "

Awesome news! I still think that I will get the PS4 version though, as my PC needs an update. :( I built it originally in 2013 as a Windows DVR box and just upgraded the Graphics card in 2014 to a mid grade card then. I need to build a new one, but that might have to wait a few more years.

1 hour ago, cobolisdead said:

Awesome news! I still think that I will get the PS4 version though, as my PC needs an update. :( I built it originally in 2013 as a Windows DVR box and just upgraded the Graphics card in 2014 to a mid grade card then. I need to build a new one, but that might have to wait a few more years.

Yeah, thanks to crytpo-mining right now is an absolutely terrible time to buy a video card.  They're selling for WAY above MSRP.

Awesome news! I still think that I will get the PS4 version though, as my PC needs an update. I built it originally in 2013 as a Windows DVR box and just upgraded the Graphics card in 2014 to a mid grade card then. I need to build a new one, but that might have to wait a few more years.
Wait around for sales. I grabbed a 1080 for $575 total a couple of weeks ago. Some times Nvidia will get more in stock, but you have to be fast.

What card do you have currently?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Awesome news! I still think that I will get the PS4 version though, as my PC needs an update. I built it originally in 2013 as a Windows DVR box and just upgraded the Graphics card in 2014 to a mid grade card then. I need to build a new one, but that might have to wait a few more years.
Wait around for sales. I grabbed a 1080 for $575 total a couple of weeks ago. Some times Nvidia will get more in stock, but you have to be fast.

1 hour ago, Enclave said:

Yeah, thanks to crytpo-mining right now is an absolutely terrible time to buy a video card.  They're selling for WAY above MSRP.

Prices has dropped a little.  AMD Rx 580 8gb  is like $450 now

22 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

It is an ancient card that I got over 4 years ago to play WOW with my GF at the time(Now wife :) )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJOKCZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was about $130 back then, and for the games that I wanted to play, it worked great. It still does a decent job now, but the PC it is in was constructed in 2013 for cheap. 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB Hard Drive, and a 2013 mid-grade Quad Core AMD Processor. I am honestly thinking of just letting it limp along for a few more years until I can afford to build a new 4K gaming rig.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, sounderfan84 said:

http://gamerhub.tv/article/851587/square-enix-presentation-dragon-quest-11-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-recap-pax-east-2018

"During the presentation it was revealed that the story for DQ11 is vast and deep and the world is massive. The developers said that the main story in DQ11 has about 90+hrs and that doesn’t include side quests, that’s just the main game. If you want to add side quests to that, the playtime for the game could be well over 100 hrs. Since the game has so much initial content, there are no plans for post launch DLC but that could always change between now and launch. "

Don't know where they got "that could always change" from because there's zero plans for story DLC. That's what was said at the presentation.

Sidequests will definitely take you over 100 hours. Probably 150 hours to 100% the game, at least.

1 hour ago, Michi said:

Don't know where they got "that could always change" from because there's zero plans for story DLC. That's what was said at the presentation.

Sidequests will definitely take you over 100 hours. Probably 150 hours to 100% the game, at least.

That is cool, I want to hit the quests hard in the localized version, was having trouble with some of them with google translate in the Japanese version :)

Is the time estimate really accurate? Not even (the 3DS version of) DQ7 took me close to that long, despite taking the time to "explore" and experiment with classes. However, though I try to stay away from long gmes, I'm definitely not opposed to an experience akin to DQ8, except twice as long. Really looking forward to this.

Edited by Sumez

On 4/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, Sumez said:

Is the time estimate really accurate? Not even (the 3DS version of) DQ7 took me close to that long, despite taking the time to "explore" and experiment with classes. However, though I try to stay away from long gmes, I'm definitely not opposed to an experience akin to DQ8, except twice as long. Really looking forward to this.

Our product manager played the game all the way through, barely touching sidequests, and his file is 95 hours. Mine is close to 200, but I also know I left it running a lot, so I'd estimate somewhere around 150-175 hours to platinum the game.

There is SO MUCH content and even platinum trophy status didn't do EVERYTHING. Also, the "post game" is the least optional post game ever if you want a complete story. It's not a bonus. It's like a sequel built into the game.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Michi said:

Our product manager played the game all the way through, barely touching sidequests, and his file is 95 hours. Mine is close to 200, but I also know I left it running a lot, so I'd estimate somewhere around 150-175 hours to platinum the game.

There is SO MUCH content and even platinum trophy status didn't do EVERYTHING. Also, the "post game" is the least optional post game ever if you want a complete story. It's not a bonus. It's like a sequel built into the game.

This is sounding more like a 100 hour RPG I can get into and stay with. One reason I'm not a huge fan of 80+ hour RPGs is that they have points where I just lose all interest for one reason or another and put it aside for months. By what you're telling us, I may not have that problem with DQ11, much like I didn't have that issue with DQ7 and DQ8.

Also, about the post game comment....that's starting to make me understand why the Symphonic Suite is arranged the way it is track wise across both discs. The ending song for Disc 1 sounded way too much like a credits song. Makes me wonder why the final song of Disc 2 is what it is. Needless to say I'm very intrigued now.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

7 hours ago, Michi said:

Been so busy and out of the loop, I didn't know you'd landed your gig until just now. Glad to see it's in good hands.

Wow, so so so happy it's coming out after my damn dissertation is done. Zero qualms about 150 hours for it! The wife's fine sleeping while the PS4 glows ;-)

On 4/13/2018 at 4:13 PM, Michi said:

You know, I don't know if I could learn enough Nihongo by September 4th to play the Japanese version early, but the more I hear about this game, the more I want to! 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 7:01 AM, cobolisdead said:

You know, I don't know if I could learn enough Nihongo by September 4th to play the Japanese version early, but the more I hear about this game, the more I want to! 

I think you should wait, as hard as it is to do it! The story is honestly so good and the improvements to the Western version's gameplay will make it even better.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, Dwaine said:

Been so busy and out of the loop, I didn't know you'd landed your gig until just now. Glad to see it's in good hands.

It's okay, I didn't really announce it here or anything! Thank you! It was definitely worth uprooting and moving to Los Angeles to work on Dragon Quest. :)

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 4:12 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This is sounding more like a 100 hour RPG I can get into and stay with. One reason I'm not a huge fan of 80+ hour RPGs is that they have points where I just lose all interest for one reason or another and put it aside for months. By what you're telling us, I may not have that problem with DQ11, much like I didn't have that issue with DQ7 and DQ8.

Also, about the post game comment....that's starting to make me understand why the Symphonic Suite is arranged the way it is track wise across both discs. The ending song for Disc 1 sounded way too much like a credits song. Makes me wonder why the final song of Disc 2 is what it is. Needless to say I'm very intrigued now.

I am becoming more and more motivated to take vacation days surrounding the release of this game. I really need to be able to sink my teeth in, so to speak...