Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

8 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Yangus, you have students? Or is this Platty? Something ain't right here.

(We've always been at war with East Asia)

Thats always beenPlatty, Dusk. 

6 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

(We've always been at war with East Asia)

Thats always beenPlatty, Dusk. 

Then why did it say Yangus posted that?

25 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Yangus, you have students? Or is this Platty? Something ain't right here.

The Joke

Your head

10 minutes ago, eal said:

The Joke

Your head

Whatever. I don't really feel like deciphering...whatever it is you three are up to. 

Just now, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Whatever. I don't really feel like deciphering...whatever it is you three are up to. 

Now you know how Yangus always feels.

24 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Then why did it say Yangus posted that?

Must be something wrong on your end of the Den then, cause on mine it says I'm Plattym3! I'm head to toe legitimate....well, if I HAD toes, but you get the idea!

The Joke

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:
The Joke

Sounds like something I'd say.

Haha! It sure does, eal!

That new guy is mimicking you already!

2 minutes ago, sounderfan84 said:

After watching a LP of the japanese ps4 version, i say i like the new alchemy feature. 

I didn't watch enough to get to that point. I wanted to keep gameplay exposure to a minimum. You've got me curious though.

4 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I didn't watch enough to get to that point. I wanted to keep gameplay exposure to a minimum. You've got me curious though.

i won't spoil it then.

I'm really trying to mostly keep myself in the dark about the gameplay. I even skipped Saigans Let's Play of the JP version, painful though it was.

I've heard it rumored you select commands and the characters do them. Total rumor, so take that for what it's worth.

27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
23 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I've heard it rumored you select commands and the characters do them. Total rumor, so take that for what it's worth.

*in Bane voice*

I will enjoy breaking you.

32 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
23 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Way to spoil that, Yangus! Next you'll be telling us this game will have music too!

Way to spoil that, Yangus! Next you'll be telling us this game will have music too!
Music? Not that I've "heard."
  • Like 1

That's something i am quite disappointed in apparently no orchestra soundtrack by Sugiyama :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vespy said:

That's something i am quite disappointed in apparently no orchestra soundtrack by Sugiyama :(

I suspect its probably a licensing issue.

It most likely is which is unfortunate but i can and will look past it 

Sugiyama has been a downright tyrant when it comes to his music rights in the past five years or so. Far as I know, he's been very well compensated for his talents, yet he still nixes streaming and such. Has there even been a symphonic suite released for XI yet?

43 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Sugiyama has been a downright tyrant when it comes to his music rights in the past five years or so. Far as I know, he's been very well compensated for his talents, yet he still nixes streaming and such. Has there even been a symphonic suite released for XI yet?

Yes, it came out earlier this year in January.

And Dwaine makes an excellent point about Sugiyama. He has become very controlling over his music in the last few years. I remember an article over Dragon Quest VII 3DS where a higher up member at Square Enix had to practically beg Sugiyama to allow the use of VII's Tokyo Metropolitan Symphonic Suite so the game wasn't stuck with midi/synth music.

13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yes, it came out earlier this year in January.

And Dwaine makes an excellent point about Sugiyama. He has become very controlling over his music in the last few years. I remember an article over Dragon Quest VII 3DS where a higher up member at Square Enix had to practically beg Sugiyama to allow the use of VII's Tokyo Metropolitan Symphonic Suite so the game wasn't stuck with midi/synth music.

Do you know why he's being so stingy with his music, all people do is say he's being strict but WHY? I want to know that part.

1 hour ago, muddy120 said:

Do you know why he's being so stingy with his music, all people do is say he's being strict but WHY? I want to know that part.

Never read anything as to why.  Perhaps it's personal attachment to his original creations being in Midi, and wanting to maintain that consistency.  Perhaps this is due to his older age, and as a general rule, most men become more ...conservative, grumpy, and miserly as they age, far more set in their ways as they grow older.  He does tend to see intellectual copyright as an absolute, in the sense that he wants full and absolute control of how his work is presented to the world.

As for streaming, perhaps it's related to his position on downloading music, which he sees as theft, and maybe he sees Streaming as a form of downloadable music akin to theft.  Afterall, streaming can be ripped and copied, though whether he knows this or not, the method is similar to the first online trading method started by Napster 19 years ago.  Not like people haven't been making copies with tapes or cds of their music collection well before, and it's perfectly legal.  For him I think he sees it as an affront to how he wants his music to be presented.

Perhaps Yangusm3 or PlattytheLegendaryBandit can chime in =p

Edited by ignasia

Just going onto his Wikipedia page tells the tale. First, he’s a member of the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers, and Publishers. Literally an organization dedicated to the protection of copyright. Then, he’s also apparently on his website said, “Humans have human rights, music has copyright.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

Never read anything as to why.  Perhaps it's personal attachment to his original creations being in Midi, and wanting to maintain that consistency.  Perhaps this is due to his older age, and as a general rule, most men become more ...conservative, grumpy, and miserly as they age, far more set in their ways as they grow older.  He does tend to see intellectual copyright as an absolute, in the sense that he wants full and absolute control of how his work is presented to the world.

As for streaming, perhaps it's related to his position on downloading music, which he sees as theft, and maybe he sees Streaming as a form of downloadable music akin to theft.  Afterall, streaming can be ripped and copied, though whether he knows this or not, the method is similar to the first online trading method started by Napster 19 years ago.  Not like people haven't been making copies with tapes or cds of their music collection well before, and it's perfectly legal.  For him I think he sees it as an affront to how he wants his music to be presented.

Perhaps Yangusm3 or PlattytheLegendaryBandit can chime in =p

Honestly you said most of what I would have said, so you got it covered already! I totally think it's his age, the generation he comes from, and his views towards copyright being the biggest factors.

Who knows what Square Enix had to do back with Dragon Quest VIII PS2 just to be able to use the symphonic suite renditions of music, but for all we know Sugiyama could have been a lot more lenient on his music 13 years ago.

And of all the DQ games, only 4 come to mind that actually have non-midi music in Japan: DQ5 PS2, DQ7 3DS, DQ8 3DS, and DQ10, the latter not getting it until much later in its lifespan. Despite it being one of Japan's biggest series, it kind of get screws over in the music quality department. Sugiyama's compositions are still great, if not a tad weaker due to his age, as after hearing DQ11's symphonic suite back in February I was very impressed and felt like it better represented what Sugiyama was going for. It actually makes me appreciate the midi more for DQ11 since I have a better idea what the intention was.

Sorry, got a little side tracked. Point is, ignasia said most of what I would have, and Dwaine's post points out how streaming gameplay can be a problem due to the music. I'm still sore about us losing the symphonic music for the western release of DQ7 3DS, but after thinking about it I realize that would have been a hard battle to win for anyone, especially after how it nearly wasn't even put into the Japanese version.

Maybe someday when a new composer takes over we'll see orchestral/symphonic music in DQ releases by default.

• Like 1