Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

So it seems Martina is Jade, Row is Rab(Rabert), Sylvia is Sylvando, and Homer is Jasper, according to Reddit.

I can only hope Sylvia isn't actually going to be Sylvando. For spoilers reasons.

2 minutes ago, Imutone said:

I can only hope Sylvia isn't actually going to be Sylvando. For spoilers reasons.

Would you really consider it a spoiler? I didn't think it was surprising at all. Sylvando is an awful name though.

Just now, Madesagora said:

Would you really consider it a spoiler? I didn't think it was surprising at all. Sylvando is an awful name though.

I don't but I do know people who would consider it a spoiler.

Sylvando is overly complicated as well. Silvia would be perfect. All we can do is wait and see.

1 hour ago, Tiael said:

Row is Rab(Rabert)

Well that's name 3 that was right on the Symphonic Suite CD case for "Rab the Wizard." Glad his name will Rab. It's fitting for the old man.

Also glad Sylvando will be the name for Sylvia. Loved that name when putting in that song (aka "Ole! Sylvando!") from the Symphonic Suite to my iPod, both because of the name and the actual song itself!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'm pretty much okay with the name changes. Erik seems a little bland to me, but the more I roll it around in my head, the better it sounds. Even Sylvando doesn't bug me like I thought it would. The rest of the changes are great, so props to the localization team for not ruining anything. 

I'm glad I don't know much of what you're all talking about. I've purposely not tried to match names with people so I don't have to relearn names upon localisation. After the whole Gabo/Ruff fiasco I didn't want to like an old name first.

9 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I'm pretty much okay with the name changes. Erik seems a little bland to me, but the more I roll it around in my head, the better it sounds. Even Sylvando doesn't bug me like I thought it would. The rest of the changes are great, so props to the localization team for not ruining anything. 

I always name my DQ hero “Eric” after me.  I’m at loss now.  I don’t want an Eric and an Erik in my party...

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm glad I don't know much of what you're all talking about. I've purposely not tried to match names with people so I don't have to relearn names upon localisation. After the whole Gabo/Ruff fiasco I didn't want to like an old name first.

I'm the same. I knew of the Japanese names, but knew they would be changed in the translation so figured there was no point getting attached to them.

It's like when Etrian players were #$*!ing about class name changes or certain NPC name changes in Etrian 5. Every Etrian game goes through this with the western releases, yet people acted so surprised some class names were changed. It wasn't a new concept or change to the series!

1 hour ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

I always name my DQ hero “Eric” after me.  I’m at loss now.  I don’t want an Eric and an Erik in my party...

Time for you to use DQXI's one true name for the hero: MoptopMo.

It's the only way to avoid confusion!

Also, just because @Tiael brought up Homer....

I use my own name for the Hero, but it isn't one that would ever be used in one of the games, so I'm good.

16 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I use my own name for the Hero, but it isn't one that would ever be used in one of the games, so I'm good.

My actual name also never appears in video games. Well, it was used in a game recently and I’m very happy about it. You don’t see it in media a lot in general, which is weird because I was named after a book character.

(P.S. if you think you’ve figured it out, don’t say it. I think so far the only people here that know it are in the fantasy league, and I want to keep it that way).

Edited by eal

My real name never appears in games either. Plus mine is spelled different from the usual spelling of the name, but regardless, I've never seen any character in a game I've played with my real name.

I usually use every shortened version of my name except for the actual one.

Why change the names any ways? I can see them changing Kukuru to Angelo. I like both names and can see how Angelo fits better.

That is the problem with the team that translates DQ games, they are really trying hard to be cleaver and making puns out of nearly everything. I miss when the games was simply translated not localized. translated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david said:

Why change the names any ways? I can see them changing Kukuru to Angelo. I like both names and can see how Angelo fits better.

That is the problem with the team that translates DQ games, they are really trying hard to be cleaver and making puns out of nearly everything. I miss when the games was simply translated not localized. translated.

A game that's merely translated often ends up as uninspired drivel. Localization adds much deserved personality to a game, and DQ exudes personality, no matter what you may think of the series. There is no problem with the team. You just prefer a more direct, yet bland job.

• Like 4

A game that's merely translated often ends up as uninspired drivel. Localization adds much deserved personality to a game, and DQ exudes personality, no matter what you may think of the series. There is no problem with the team. You just prefer a more direct, yet bland job.
Agreed. While I love games from Japan, I want the jokes and names to be Americanized or even Britishised.

2 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I have heard this before. because it "needs" personality. even though it has the captivating score from Sugiyama. the awesome fantasy storys from Yuji. and the very nice art style from Akira. I can understand having to change some script so the majority of westerners get it. but to make puns of everything is just annoying. 

• Like 1

We need more puns! Everything is puns! Some of the kids in my classes from school enjoy a good pun when I make a joke in class. Dragon Quest helps inspire new ones for me!

10 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
11 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Agreed. While I love games from Japan, I want the jokes and names to be Americanized or even Britishised.

Localization teams know this. When jokes and puns are redone to fit a Westerner's taste, they hit more successfully. Localizing 101 right there.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Localization teams know this. When jokes and puns are redone to fit a Westerner's taste, they hit more successfully. Localizing 101 right there.

I tell my students this ALL the time. They get extra credit if they bring in picture examples.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Unless you’re Treehouse. If you do that you’re not doing it correctly, according to the internet.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I tell my students this ALL the time. They get extra credit if they bring in picture examples.

Yangus, you have students? Or is this Platty? Something ain't right here.

23 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Same.