Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

3DS version isn't coming according to SE.

Also, English VA, hard mode, etc.

11 minutes ago, Tiael said:

Also, English VA, hard mode, etc.

I’m sad but I can’t say I’m shocked.  The 3DS is on its last legs and all the DS and 3DS games sold poorl outside DQ 9.  Didn’t think the 3DS version had much of a chance outside Japan.   In fact I’m pretty sure the only reason it exists was for Japan (Horii was wanting to return the series to consoles but SE Japan was worried about home sales so a comprise was struck - 3DS for Japan and home consoles for the West). 

I hope at least when the Switch version comes we will get the option to play in the 3DS modes (the DQ 6 SNES style and the DQ 9 style). 

I think day one Steam version is a good move though.  Steam has made PC gaming more popular than ever in NA and EU so it’s only logical SE try to capitalize on that.  

It does look like SE/Horii announces the Switch version WAY too early though.  Looks like their efforts were 1) finishing PS4/3DS for Japan, 2) getting the PS4 version with extras out in NA/EU while porting to Steam because it makes sense, and 3) the Switch version.  Seems like the Switch version was the lowest on the priority list.  

Anyway I’m super happy.  Going to pre-order the PS4 version on PSN.  Hopefully the Switch will be early next year and include the 3DS modes. 

Greig's name changed to Hendrik.

Hero/Yuusha translated as Luminary(which is kind of weird since that was the translation used for the superstar/teen idol class in earlier games lol)

Delcadar is Carnelia.

Camus is Erik

I wonder if there are any names NOT changed, heh.

What bizarre localization changes. I'll probably just buy the PC version. No reason to get the others since I've purchased the other two already.

Damn shame about the lack of 3DS version though. It's the best one in my opinion.

Edited by Madesagora
  • Like 1

Well that sucks that the 3DS version isn't coming, but woot, we finally have a Release date! Now, I just have to wait five more months! :(

While I'm totally excited the game is confirmed for September, it's ridiculous we aren't getting the 3DS version. Here's hoping Nintendo will approach SE and will handle the 3DS version's publishing.

If not, thank god I have a Japanese 3DS! Time to import that version.

While I'm totally excited the game is confirmed for September, it's ridiculous we aren't getting the 3DS version. Here's hoping Nintendo will approach SE and will handle the 3DS version's publishing.

If not, thank god I have a Japanese 3DS! Time to import that version.

Considering Square Enix mentioned the Nintendo Switch version, but not the Nintendo 3DS version, I think it's safe to assume it's not coming. I would like another "It's not coming!" stamp.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

This was fantastic new to awaken to. My vision was semi blurry and I was half asleep. Immediately woke up fully haha. Just five more months. Probably something at E3 and then we just wait. I’m so excited. 

1 minute ago, Dakhil said:

Considering Square Enix mentioned the Nintendo Switch version, but not the Nintendo 3DS version, I think it's safe to assume it's not coming. I would like another "It's not coming!" stamp.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Nintendo has handled most of the handheld releases. Might as well let them handle DQ11's 3DS version as well.

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Nintendo has handled most of the handheld releases. Might as well let them handle DQ11's 3DS version as well.

You think Nintendo would handle the 3DS if it’s not exclusive (especially if it’s coming out months after the PS4/PC release)?   What would be the point?   You’d be advertising a game on competing platforms months after it was originally released.  I can’t imagine a months late to the party 3DS version would even sell, judging by DQ 7 and 8’s numbers.  

I think hoping the Switch release has the 3DS modes as extras/features is our best bet.  It would be an advantage of the Switch version since the Switch version is most likely going to have a visual downgrade compared to the PS4 version.  I mean how awesome would it be to have all three modes (DQ 6 style, DQ 8 style, and DQ 9 style) all on the Switch version?   It would have the advantage of being portable too!

Just happened across this news on IGN. I'm a little sad about the 3DS version not coming here, but I'm not surprised, and the PS4 version is the one I wanted more anyway.

• Like 1

Not surprised. The 3DS isn’t dead, but it’s extra work and it would cut into Square Enix’s profits if Nintendo published it, as it would reduce the number of potential buyers for versions that Square Enid publishes, had they decided to split publishing duties, of course, which they wouldn’t. It makes total sense.

11 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

You think Nintendo would handle the 3DS if it’s not exclusive (especially if it’s coming out months after the PS4/PC release)?   What would be the point?   You’d be advertising a game on competing platforms months after it was originally released.  I can’t imagine a months late to the party 3DS version would even sell, judging by DQ 7 and 8’s numbers.  

I think hoping the Switch release has the 3DS modes as extras/features is our best bet.  It would be an advantage of the Switch version since the Switch version is most likely going to have a visual downgrade compared to the PS4 version.  I mean how awesome would it be to have all three modes (DQ 6 style, DQ 8 style, and DQ 9 style) all on the Switch version?   It would have the advantage of being portable too!

I’m going to keep thinking optimistically and stubbornly. I’ll hold out hope for the official western release of the 3DS version, and no one will change that until I give up hope on it like I did with Dragon Quest 7’s 3DS release. Of course, that one saw the light at the end of the tunnel 3 and half years later, and while the same may not happen with DQ11’s 3DS version, I’ll be holding out hope for it no matter what anyone else thinks.

That’s just how I am. One stubborn, optimistic bandit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m going to keep thinking optimistically and stubbornly. I’ll hold out hope for the official western release of the 3DS version, and no one will change that until I give up hope on it like I did with Dragon Quest 7’s 3DS release. Of course, that one saw the light at the end of the tunnel 3 and half years later, and while the same may not happen with DQ11’s 3DS version, I’ll be holding out hope for it no matter what anyone else thinks.

That’s just how I am. One stubborn, optimistic bandit.

Hey after the Dragoon Quest 7 3DS fiasco I learned anything could happen lol. 

I am just super happy it’s finally coming at all.  I have waited 13 years to have another experience like Dragon Quest 8 was on the PS2 and it’s finally happening.  Been far too long to see DQ on a nice big TV with surround sound and gorgeous graphics and voice acting to boot!

It is going to be glorious...

Man, voice acting, huh. I was hoping for it, but I was definately not expecting it. Would have prefered orchestrated music over voice acting, but I am not going to complain about this. This is great.

As for the 3DS version, I don't want it as much as the console version. But I hope we get it. I know some of you really wanted that version.

• Like 2

While I am happy it's getting localized at all...

2 hours ago, Tiael said:

God ****ing **** it, SE. Business and all, I get it. But this is the one I would have liked to see the most in English.

At least the localization adds some improvements. Hard mode was definitely needed.

• Like 2

I had an inkling of the 3DS version being passed on in the West. I can't think of too many games that had entirely different builds on different consoles. Square Enix probably didn't want to take sales away from the PS4 version since they seem to be using that as their push to get Dragon Quest into the Western market. Shame too because the 3ds version has a few interesting exclusive features people would've loved.

• Like 2

If its not too mush to ask, could somebody make a comparison of the JP menus vs the localized menus? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Safushi said:

If its not too mush to ask, could somebody make a comparison of the JP menus vs the localized menus? 

Boom.

IMG_1606.JPG.02c209019725a52cf96f840c91440e90.JPGIMG_1607.JPG.72e69df5d346990f0e571c68616a38ad.JPG

Here's a trailer with English gameplay. It features some of the voice acting as well.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

While I'm glad to see English gameplay of  PS4 DQXI, I'm very upset that they won't be releasing the 3DS version in the west.

I'm assuming the yet-to-be-seen Switch version of DQXI will be based on the PS4 version with paired down graphics & resolution.

If that's the case, I will only be interested in DQXI on PS4.

Damn'it, SquareEnix, give us the 3DS DQXI as well. Nintendo has seen fit to keep 3DS going through 2018 and into 2019.

Will Operation Rainfall help us?

According to US Gamer, zone system called Pep Points.

And they say the Draconian Quest stuff is just the restricted play options like restricting equipment purchases, and the Shypox curse.

But the SE press release lists Draconian stuff as new for the west alongside the redone UI, voice acting and dash, when it was sure as hell in the JP release, so I'm wondering if the article writer is confused.

Thought I linked....here:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-quest-xi-is-engineered-to-try-and-woo-a-western-audience-again

Edited by Tiael