Localization News: DQXI

I'm pretty sure there was a very brief period where you could get Dragon Quest VIII Android for free in the United Shish States. I don't think it applied to iOS though.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our product manager played the game all the way through, barely touching sidequests, and his file is 95 hours. Mine is close to 200, but I also know I left it running a lot, so I'd estimate somewhere

Man...who knew the can of worms I would open by talking about and posting this article. The preview was in the previews section, a few pages in. I'd call it the rough middle of the magazine.

A game that's merely translated often ends up as uninspired drivel. Localization adds much deserved personality to a game, and DQ exudes personality, no matter what you may think of the series. There

Posted Images

What Ignasia said makes a lot of sense and explains a lot of SE's decisions.Hell I think the Final Fantasy XIV debacle causing disruptions and other projects to made lower priority probably explains why the remakes of Final Fantasy V and VI are so disappointing compared to 1 and 2 on PSP as well as the IV Complete Collection.Add on top of the not wanting to divert resources from fixing XIV,finishing XV  and the VII remake thus V and VI got a sloppy rush job.Plus the bigger gap between when DQ V DS came out and DQ VI.

Edited by Maxrebo
I don't think the problem is SE doesn't care.  That was technically a problem post-DQMJ, the last game while Wada was president, that SE directly promoted, and asked the help of journalists for some direction (ask Dwaine).
DQIV was at a time when SE was gearing up for major FF13 promotions, and due to their corporate restructuring under Wada, being very compartmentalized, again, one can ask Dwaine or there are a myriad number of articles posted around the time of Yoichi Wada's ousting from the time there was internal rumbling the board would remove him to the point after he was demoted to head the mobile division...  I have a link somewhere covering insider information on how most submissions and requests never go through the right channels because divisions are split too deeply into subsections with too many middle managers, and no direct feed lines for the company to see, no direct routing lines to assure money or upper management ideas are secured, done, paid for, etc.
DQV was at a time when SE noticed DQIV had sold poorly, likely never checking if DQIV was marketed, again due to the nature of splitting a company into too many sub-divisions and middle managers where stuff gets lost in translation easily if one or two middle management groups are overtaxed and overburdened, which often happens in almost every government office and any corporation that follows the same path.  It's a case of, like with IV, the head not knowing how the body is functioning because it's too much muck to work out, and they assume the middle managers will sort out the mess and notify of a problem.  However it's less likely to happen if the blame falls squarely on one or two shoulders and someone is likely to be fired...which is much more stigmatized in Japanese culture versus Western culture.
DQIX was paid for, but had to be halted as it was being localized at the same time SE was overburdened with the initial release of FF14, and cleaning up the mess they made after personally destroying the FF11's fanbase from 2.5~3 million down to a few hundred thousand in one day....one day.  All after claiming FF14 would be replacing FF11, and 14's initial rollout plagued by low numbers of FF11 fans flocking to it, but at the same time, FAR more than they assumed, as the servers had trouble handling the initial load.  Nevermind the constant gripes, and SE having to close it down.  In that media frenzy over FF14's beta debacle, DQIX was clearly put on the back burner, and Nintendo offered to carry the torch, or SE approached Nintendo and asked.  Whichever happened, due to the nature of compartmentalization, multitasking is actually MUCH harder for a company to do, as getting information flow from top to bottom requires several channels to pass through, nevermind issues like down servers, lost information in translation, overburdened middle-managers, and lower/middle/upper people not wanting to take blame so shifting the message to reduce impact on their department.
DQVI had the displeasure of being around both in the aftermath of FF14's initial rollout, and SE cleaning up the mess, alongside pushing FF14's upcoming release.  There were a few other things going on at the same time.  Take the other scenarios, put in that corporate upper managers would place priorities on certain products, and rereleases would have lower priority.  Take into account 4 and 5's sales as opposed to 9's, and the priority was MUCH lower from upper management, who likely had no clue why 4 and 5 sold so poorly, due potentially to lack of information and intentionally false information to avoid being fired from those actually responsible.  Nintendo takes up the torch, but it's been sitting in limbo due to 14 for months and Plus Alpha was onto a new project, and thus 8-4 had to be hired.
So yes, while lower priority, this would not have been a problem in the past had SE had better structuring, more open channels, and fewer split departments.
Cut to Wada's deposal as head, and SE's corporate restructuring.  They begin answering more random questions.  They start actually addressing DQ, though usually with negative news, or wishy-washy statements.  SE talks to the news more.  Does more interviews of producers, directors, writers, etc. with the gaming press.  There's more open news press at e3 (not just a showing and a demo room, but actual discussions of games with IGN/etc., something that hadn't been done since the merger).  We see the mobile releases come relatively quickly to us...with a year apart at first, but eventually a few months apart between releases, and they even relocalize 1~3 for us.  There's discussion of restarting DQ in the West, and a lot of open ended conversations, with deflecting or wishy-washy statements on DQ7.  This happens over months, then direct talks about DQ Heroes, with a promise of DQ7.  Then a retraction of DQ7...oops, looks like someone let it slip.  Then we see more talk about how DQ11 is going to come over, and the PS4 direction and using unreal engine had Western gamers in mind as well as Japanese.  Then lots of push about DQ Heroes.  Then Horii let's it slip DQ7 and 8 are coming Westward.  Then SE's second retraction, while trying to make it seem like the media heard Horii wrong, not that Horii himself was wrong (take note of this, it's rather significant).  Then the official announcement and a teaser for DQ Builders maybe coming stateside.  Then a discussion panel indicating DQ Heroes and Builders were also with Western gamers in mind.  Then DQ Builders is announced.  Then DQ7 is released.  Then DQ8.  Then DQ Builders is pushed harder than DQ Heroes 1 was.  Then DQ Builders is released.  Then DQHeroes 2 is announced Westward.  Then Heroes 2 is pushed harder than Heroes 1 and Builders.  Which is a gradual increase in willingness to promote the DQ franchise.  Nevermind DQ Builders for the Switch was announced for us.
Now we come to today.  DQ, according to SE, has been pushed slowly leading up to DQ 11.  They WANT DQ to do well in the US.  It's not a matter of priority for them now.  It's a matter of risk management.  These are businessmen who aren't sure as to how DQ11 will fare.  They have seen Heroes 1+2 and Builders do well enough to keep increasing the scale and level of promotion...slowly, but it has increased in time, scale, and commercialization.  I had seen far more commercials for Heroes 2 than 1 and Builders, and for Builders than Heroes 1.  Far more.  They have mentioned not once, but at least five separate times that they want DQ to do well in the West, and they're willing to play the long-game over this.  They're willing to cater to fan desires; DQ7 and 8...and no Nintendo is not THE reason, as further interviews with the director indicated, but Nintendo is significant in that it helped alleviate SE's burden of trying to get 7 and 8's promised releases while they were waaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaay late on FF15, meaning FF15 had priority, and with Nintendo backing it, it would help promote the games better than they could.  They were already planning on 7 and 8 due to fan demand long before big N got involved.  However we should thank the big N because it likely wouldn't even have seen youtube videos, or scant videos at that (more of the Healix team...which are likeable, but have a smaller audience and aren't particularly skilled at salesmanship).
For them, this is a priority, but they're taking it from a general risk assessment position.  They want a big push, rather than small gradual pushes, like with DQ8 and 9.  They're too scared as to the potential sales ceiling of the game and the fear of few new incomers to the DQ franchise to play it the smart way of gradual releases or leaks.
The only things about this recent debacle, is that they clearly WERE going to release information.  We all saw the twitter and facebook feeds.  It's how I knew about them...ghosting this site.  We all saw the removal of the banners for those October postings.  We all saw Sony jump the gun on DQ11 as a result, around the same time, just prior to the DQ facebook and twitter changing their avatars/backgrounds to the plain slime and giving the teaser statement that the promised release info was upcoming soon.  As a certain dancing cat,  mnicolai, mentioned, Nintendo's resurrection of the Nintendo Direct was promised to have the Switch account system introduced.  SE also had yet to reveal the DQ11 Switch info...and while perhaps the lack of Nintendo being prepared with their Switch reveal, and absent from the direct was a major factor, I do think that SE definitely rethought their direction, and realized for them it's cheaper and more manageable to release the info with the Switch ready as well.  So I don't think we'll see anything until the Switch has been announced and fully revealed for Japan, and likely prior to Nintendo's new account system introduction.  Especially since DQ11 is not an online game.

I'll likely be alone on this, but I don't see SE as a personal entity, but rather a business entity.  It's not about care...oh, they care.  They do WANT DQ popular worldwide.  It's the golden egg, and Horii was the Goose.  It's always cost substantially less to develop than FF, with far far far far far fewer people...like 1/3 to 1/10th the team sizes as compared to FF teams for mainline, gaiden, and remakes/remasters/ports.  So it's a profit driver, and arguably is the sole reason SE still exists, and the reason why most KH and FF fans should be sucking DQ's dick, or they wouldn't have their franchises.  Yes this is clearly due almost entirely to the Japanese market.  It's about risk assessment and old-world thought and approach to sales.  It's about their internal apprehension of sales potential for DQ11, and why they're so mum about it.
However, I should point out, with the exception of DQ3, the mobile releases in just the US match the mobile releases in Japan for sales.  Almost 1:1, with DQ1 being higher in Japan, but DQ6 being higher in the US, and the US having a higher representation of Android to iPhone users...usually the number of Droid to iPhones is higher in Japan:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/260415/market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems-in-japan/
Though at the time of the first mobile releases, iPhone was king, the most critical point of 2014 had a higher droid presence.  Though arguably likely real share in terms of current users is closer to 50/50 in Japan and it's hard to say who has the edge, while it's a bit closer to 70/30 Droid to iPhone in the US.  What I'm getting at is that iTunes does not directly give you sales numbers for games..
DQ3 is the exception because DQ3 went free in Japan on its anniversary.  Went from roughly the same sales as the US to multi-millions of downloads.  The point of this?  SE knows the market isn't much different in real-terms, with mobile...or should if they pay attention.  Then again they haven't exactly attempted a "free" DQ game here.  Not once, which is insanely stupid.  So maybe not...actually that's a point in your ballpark, and a strike against my reasoning, a pretty heavy one.

I think you'll all be shocked at the level of promotion SE puts into DQ11 when it comes time.
A use for a new pic! 5890dd0a7be480b72be42d3cb03919e1.jpg
  • Like 1

...err...no?  I tend to think rather thoroughly before writing up a response.

3 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym is intimidated by words.

I look forward to you being proven right, Ignasia.

Well, while I've been wrong about 10 so far, I called it for 5, 9, 6, Joker 2, 7, 8, Heroes 1+2, all mobile (though we have yet to see 7), and Builders when most people were ready to give up, they were absolute no's, or at least a few were saying maybe or no.  So I do hope I'm correct on this.

The only thing that bothers me is 7 mobile.  I think it is possible we may not see that released for awhile.  I think the main culprit is SE will be forced to rework the entire game code as in allowing the game to run as is right now, will make it exceedingly taxing on a phone, and limit the number of phones that can run the game drastically to the last 2~3 years only.  The game is obviously coded to run the Japanese and localized language formats, and I wouldn't be shocked if even the Japanese text is running in the background as well as the format code.  I think they're likely going to try to clean that up before release...and one thing I do worry about is they might cancel the release due to mobile sales in general (though I don't think they will, just because over time especially if DQ11 does well, it's always guaranteed to be a major source of profit given the nature of pure digital), but it is a strong possibility, if the process proves too costly and too time consuming.  We definitely should have seen the release by now, though strangely this jives so far with my original call of 1+ years post-3DS release.  Though later I retracted that and said 6 months to 1 year as that seemed unreasonable and quite a few others seemed too convinced of 3~6 months, and their reasoning was pretty sound.

If SE were smart though, they'd release all of the mobile releases, and at least update 8 to the 3DS versions additional content...and release Dragon Quest for the Stars.  Would even help if DQ3 were altered to free for life.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm pretty sure there was a very brief period where you could get Dragon Quest VIII Android for free in the United Shish States. I don't think it applied to iOS though.

I don't really recall that, but that would be temporary, while DQ3 has been permanently free in Japan since.  I wonder if it's helped sales at all?  For that matter I do wonder if the other DQ mobile games have helped the series in general?

I'll have to take your word on it, as I can't find evidence of it being free at all, just sales, but there were plenty of points where I wasn't paying attention to the mobile releases so...

Found it, you're right, for a short time there was a way to get DQVIII mobile for free via Amazon Underground.

6 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym is intimidated by words.

I look forward to you being proven right, Ignasia.

Honestly he's more likely joshing me, because Platty is all about being a prankster and a joker.  Even when he's serious he's usually poking fun at something or having a little play with words to lighten the mood.  I just tend to be overly serious, but don't take myself seriously.  So my matter of fact way of seeing things tends to run headlong into walls when he posts as much, rather than continue the joke.  Sometimes I join in if I'm in the mindset to see it and take it that way.  Not very often, lol.  I think I kind of ruin his, eal's, and even yangus' fun in lieu of that, which I do feel bad about, as I do come off as a lecturer often enough.  Not intended though, just how I often am.

I imagine Platty is a fun teacher to have though...in many ways he reminds me of my favourite teacher in 8th and 10th grades, an English teacher named Mark Condon who incidentally married a Spanish lass, so his name must have been the butt end of jokes every family get together.

Edited by ignasia

Oh I'm sure SE are gonna promote DQ11 a decent amount. It's not FF15 obviously, but they know that they need to push it if they want it to sell - also, they already know it's a good game that has been received well, so they want it to have a strong presence in the press. Nier Automata did well almost exclusively due to a solid Metacritic score (and the first game was probably at least as "niche" as DQ is in the west now), and I'm pretty sure Square Enix would like to see a repeat of that.
Also, both DQH and Builders were quite decently promoted in the west, I have no idea why they shouldn't do the same to the actual main series now that it actually gets current-gen console presence for the first time since DQ8.

Still, this is not because they are passionate about westerners playing Dragon Quest, but because they know they can make the moneys.

Edited by Sumez
Honestly he's more likely joshing me, because Platty is all about being a prankster and a joker.  Even when he's serious he's usually poking fun at something or having a little play with words to lighten the mood.  I just tend to be overly serious, but don't take myself seriously.  So my matter of fact way of seeing things tends to run headlong into walls when he posts as much, rather than continue the joke.  Sometimes I join in if I'm in the mindset to see it and take it that way.  Not very often, lol.  I think I kind of ruin his, eal's, and even yangus' fun in lieu of that, which I do feel bad about, as I do come off as a lecturer often enough.  Not intended though, just how I often am.
I imagine Platty is a fun teacher to have though...in many ways he reminds me of my favourite teacher in 8th and 10th grades, an English teacher named Marc Condon who incidentally married a Spanish lass, so his name must have been the butt end of jokes every family get together.
Yeah, I was just trying our my new Trails of Cold Steel pictures! Found an early one that semi-fit your long post!
33 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym has a picture of every line of dialogue from the game.

With how many he has for Trails in the Sky, your post is likely very true.

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Still, this is not because they are passionate about westerners playing Dragon Quest, but because they know they can make the moneys

Yep.  That's for sure.

35 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With how many he has for Trails in the Sky, your post is likely very true.

Soon Platty will become a Trails meme wizard...and the world will tremble.

42 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

ddb302f50432fa52fd2a834241b3fc60.jpg

See, it's starting already.

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

Soon he will decay to speaking entirely in Screencap.

It may already be too late.  So...anyone for a round of Axes, Hammers, and Metal things that flee?

1 minute ago, ignasia said:

It may already be too late.  So...anyone for a round of Axes, Hammers, and Metal things that flee?

I've got the axe. (Holds up Conquerer's Axe)

• 2 months later...