Localization News: DQXI

Imutone

3 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym is intimidated by words.

I look forward to you being proven right, Ignasia.

Well, while I've been wrong about 10 so far, I called it for 5, 9, 6, Joker 2, 7, 8, Heroes 1+2, all mobile (though we have yet to see 7), and Builders when most people were ready to give up, they were absolute no's, or at least a few were saying maybe or no.  So I do hope I'm correct on this.

The only thing that bothers me is 7 mobile.  I think it is possible we may not see that released for awhile.  I think the main culprit is SE will be forced to rework the entire game code as in allowing the game to run as is right now, will make it exceedingly taxing on a phone, and limit the number of phones that can run the game drastically to the last 2~3 years only.  The game is obviously coded to run the Japanese and localized language formats, and I wouldn't be shocked if even the Japanese text is running in the background as well as the format code.  I think they're likely going to try to clean that up before release...and one thing I do worry about is they might cancel the release due to mobile sales in general (though I don't think they will, just because over time especially if DQ11 does well, it's always guaranteed to be a major source of profit given the nature of pure digital), but it is a strong possibility, if the process proves too costly and too time consuming.  We definitely should have seen the release by now, though strangely this jives so far with my original call of 1+ years post-3DS release.  Though later I retracted that and said 6 months to 1 year as that seemed unreasonable and quite a few others seemed too convinced of 3~6 months, and their reasoning was pretty sound.

If SE were smart though, they'd release all of the mobile releases, and at least update 8 to the 3DS versions additional content...and release Dragon Quest for the Stars.  Would even help if DQ3 were altered to free for life.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm pretty sure there was a very brief period where you could get Dragon Quest VIII Android for free in the United Shish States. I don't think it applied to iOS though.

I don't really recall that, but that would be temporary, while DQ3 has been permanently free in Japan since.  I wonder if it's helped sales at all?  For that matter I do wonder if the other DQ mobile games have helped the series in general?

I'll have to take your word on it, as I can't find evidence of it being free at all, just sales, but there were plenty of points where I wasn't paying attention to the mobile releases so...

Found it, you're right, for a short time there was a way to get DQVIII mobile for free via Amazon Underground.

6 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym is intimidated by words.

I look forward to you being proven right, Ignasia.

Honestly he's more likely joshing me, because Platty is all about being a prankster and a joker.  Even when he's serious he's usually poking fun at something or having a little play with words to lighten the mood.  I just tend to be overly serious, but don't take myself seriously.  So my matter of fact way of seeing things tends to run headlong into walls when he posts as much, rather than continue the joke.  Sometimes I join in if I'm in the mindset to see it and take it that way.  Not very often, lol.  I think I kind of ruin his, eal's, and even yangus' fun in lieu of that, which I do feel bad about, as I do come off as a lecturer often enough.  Not intended though, just how I often am.

I imagine Platty is a fun teacher to have though...in many ways he reminds me of my favourite teacher in 8th and 10th grades, an English teacher named Mark Condon who incidentally married a Spanish lass, so his name must have been the butt end of jokes every family get together.

Edited by ignasia

Oh I'm sure SE are gonna promote DQ11 a decent amount. It's not FF15 obviously, but they know that they need to push it if they want it to sell - also, they already know it's a good game that has been received well, so they want it to have a strong presence in the press. Nier Automata did well almost exclusively due to a solid Metacritic score (and the first game was probably at least as "niche" as DQ is in the west now), and I'm pretty sure Square Enix would like to see a repeat of that.
Also, both DQH and Builders were quite decently promoted in the west, I have no idea why they shouldn't do the same to the actual main series now that it actually gets current-gen console presence for the first time since DQ8.

Still, this is not because they are passionate about westerners playing Dragon Quest, but because they know they can make the moneys.

Edited by Sumez

Honestly he's more likely joshing me, because Platty is all about being a prankster and a joker.  Even when he's serious he's usually poking fun at something or having a little play with words to lighten the mood.  I just tend to be overly serious, but don't take myself seriously.  So my matter of fact way of seeing things tends to run headlong into walls when he posts as much, rather than continue the joke.  Sometimes I join in if I'm in the mindset to see it and take it that way.  Not very often, lol.  I think I kind of ruin his, eal's, and even yangus' fun in lieu of that, which I do feel bad about, as I do come off as a lecturer often enough.  Not intended though, just how I often am.
I imagine Platty is a fun teacher to have though...in many ways he reminds me of my favourite teacher in 8th and 10th grades, an English teacher named Marc Condon who incidentally married a Spanish lass, so his name must have been the butt end of jokes every family get together.
Yeah, I was just trying our my new Trails of Cold Steel pictures! Found an early one that semi-fit your long post!

33 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Plattym has a picture of every line of dialogue from the game.

With how many he has for Trails in the Sky, your post is likely very true.

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Still, this is not because they are passionate about westerners playing Dragon Quest, but because they know they can make the moneys

Yep.  That's for sure.

35 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With how many he has for Trails in the Sky, your post is likely very true.

Soon Platty will become a Trails meme wizard...and the world will tremble.

42 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

ddb302f50432fa52fd2a834241b3fc60.jpg

See, it's starting already.

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

Soon he will decay to speaking entirely in Screencap.

It may already be too late.  So...anyone for a round of Axes, Hammers, and Metal things that flee?

1 minute ago, ignasia said:

It may already be too late.  So...anyone for a round of Axes, Hammers, and Metal things that flee?

I've got the axe. (Holds up Conquerer's Axe)

apparently some US and EU gaming press are going to Japan to interview Yuji Horii in febuary so maybe we'll get some news from that?

• 2 months later...

3DS version isn't coming according to SE.

Also, English VA, hard mode, etc.

11 minutes ago, Tiael said:

3DS version isn't coming according to SE.

Also, English VA, hard mode, etc.

I’m sad but I can’t say I’m shocked.  The 3DS is on its last legs and all the DS and 3DS games sold poorl outside DQ 9.  Didn’t think the 3DS version had much of a chance outside Japan.   In fact I’m pretty sure the only reason it exists was for Japan (Horii was wanting to return the series to consoles but SE Japan was worried about home sales so a comprise was struck - 3DS for Japan and home consoles for the West). 

I hope at least when the Switch version comes we will get the option to play in the 3DS modes (the DQ 6 SNES style and the DQ 9 style). 

I think day one Steam version is a good move though.  Steam has made PC gaming more popular than ever in NA and EU so it’s only logical SE try to capitalize on that.  

It does look like SE/Horii announces the Switch version WAY too early though.  Looks like their efforts were 1) finishing PS4/3DS for Japan, 2) getting the PS4 version with extras out in NA/EU while porting to Steam because it makes sense, and 3) the Switch version.  Seems like the Switch version was the lowest on the priority list.  

Anyway I’m super happy.  Going to pre-order the PS4 version on PSN.  Hopefully the Switch will be early next year and include the 3DS modes. 

Greig's name changed to Hendrik.

Hero/Yuusha translated as Luminary(which is kind of weird since that was the translation used for the superstar/teen idol class in earlier games lol)

Delcadar is Carnelia.

Camus is Erik

I wonder if there are any names NOT changed, heh.

What bizarre localization changes. I'll probably just buy the PC version. No reason to get the others since I've purchased the other two already.

Damn shame about the lack of 3DS version though. It's the best one in my opinion.

Edited by Madesagora
  • Like 1