Sign in to follow this  
TheKingOfTheDragovians

Ashlynn Sucks

Barbara looks like an underraged punk kid. Ashlynn (DS version) looks like a psycho. Muriel >>> Barbara

And Bianca >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> both

^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milly is best girl and that's a fact.

Who does the DS version art? Toriyama or an understudy?

Who does the DS version art? Toriyama or an understudy?

I don't know. It is contradictory of his other artwork. The Dragon Quest IV/V DS art seems to be his, and feel natural and while I prefer their Playstation Designs, they are still good. Dragon Quest VI DS's art looks off though, like they had the artists for DBGT make it.

It had more of a Toriyama-esque feel than straight up Toriyama. Everybody's trying too hard to look badass.

Barbara rules.  If she were a Denizen she'd Madante this whole discussion.  She's truly the hero's "dream girl."

Ashlynn...meh...a product of someone's need to localize dialects.

• Upvote 1

Hassan > Carver (Really. Which sounds more intimidating, Spirit Punch? Or Knuckle Sandwich?) too

Oh, goodness, did this just turn into a subs vs dubs thread? 'Cause I think it just did.

Oh, goodness, did this just turn into a subs vs dubs thread? 'Cause I think it just did.

I think some subs are for the better (Nokturnus > Dark Dream, Malroth > Sidoh), but Knuckle Sandwich? Really? Is that the ultimate move which Hassan learns by being one with his true self? The move he used when he bullied kids at Carpenter school?

I'd argue that they should have given Carver a better move, Knuckle Sandwich is too common.

To be fair, there wasn't such a thing as Knuckle Sandwich before Carver, and 200% damage is very nice. Unless you mean they should've given the move a better name.

I also like the framing; here's a powerful fighting move, now go sock that fatso in the guts until he pukes.

Edited by JaybirdC

Yeah but any character can get it by just mastering the Martial Artist vocation. 

Yeah, but isn't that true for almost all the skills in VI? I mean, Amos had Metamormagic (is that what it's called?), but literally anyone can learn Zap.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but isn't that true for almost all the skills in VI? I mean, Amos had Metamormagic (is that what it's called?), but literally anyone can learn Zap.

Dang it, posted on wrong thread

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

To be fair, it takes significantly more effort to get Zap on anyone besides the hero, considering how many classes you need to master to just access the class that learns it. Knuckle Sandwich is from a basic vocation, so it's significantly less effort.

That said, you don't have access to vocations yet when Carver gets Knuckle Sandwich.

True and true, but if we're disparaging KS on the grounds that it's not unique enough, well, unique skills are thin on the ground in VI.

I just don't like KS because the name, its old name, Spirit Punch sounds like a Dragon Ball move, aka badass and powerful, but IDK why, they chose to name it off of something bullies do.

Eh, I always got more of a Tough Guy vibe from Knuckle Sandwich than straight up bullying. I've never encountered it in a bullying-exclusive context (unlike, say, Swirlies).

Trust me, I rode plenty of boats in VI. Maybe if there was a bit less of that and more linearity it wouldn't be so bad.

Is it bad if I liked Dragon Quest VI specifically to how unlinear it is?

It's a linear game that doesn't enforce the linearity. Sounds good in principle, until you go to towns where people speak with the assumption that you've already been to other towns and finished other stories, thus making the game disjointed and seem badly planned. It's also, ironically, the game that upon giving you the boat, realized that it wasn't actually ready to give you the boat, and instead kept you trapped in a small ocean until it was ready.

Playing with Ashlynn (and having the hero go Luminary->Hero on top of that) is like playing VI under Stronger Monsters Draconian Quest so I can see why people don't use her, I never did keep her myself when I played this game in the SNES and my first playthrough on the DS. 

But last year when on my last playthrough, keeping her on does bring a degree of difficulty that I sought and welcomed in my last playthrough and really warmed up to her, I enjoyed that she always had something different and mildly funny to say about everything and, this can be easy to miss if you don't use her throughout the whole game, but you can see how she gradually starts to crush on the hero. I guess thats why for some it seems like out of the blue and forced down on you. Not to mention the whole thing about her being the golden dragon being dropped it looks like there was a lot of development meant for Ashlynn originally that left her a bit awkward at the end.

As for Milly its like, she's nice but I don't remember anything distinctive about her, I remember Nevan being boring but at least I do remember his boringness and dry nerdy uppity self (like an unfunny Dwight Schrute ) while Milly its just... nothing to her. I wonder if similarly she had a lot about her dropped in the final release, visiting Gandino leaves you putting 2 and 2 together yourself but I feel there's a lot missing there to be told.

Starting to feel right now like replaying this once more, I've done every path for the Hero (except Ranger) by now but maybe give him a Magic path again, be a caster along with Ashlynn and have Amos and Carver be the muscle cause damn, those two are the true charisma of the series.

Edited by dreamtrain