Sign in to follow this  
eal

Yangus Sucks

Here. We. Go.

Hey, you know what sucks almost as much as a terrible character? A good character that just can't be left alone. Yangus is a pretty cool dude. Not the best character in fiction, but I like him well enough. He's got personality, charm, he's a reliable fighter, and his backstory is interesting. He might not be my ideal character, but if I were to describe him in Shrek terms, I'd say he has layers, much like an onion, and those layers are well explored (unlike a certain pilgrim).

And it's as if they realized this and won't stop rubbing his red-spotted underwear in our faces. "You like Yangus? How about we make a spin-off game about him, throw him in some Fortune Street games, make him a playable character in both Heroes games, and just generally never stop making sure you know we made an interesting character for once."

Look, let's be real. Dragon Quest games don't have interesting characters. At least not for the most part. The odd character here and there. But that's fine because that's not what we're here for. So when we get a character that has some depth or a following of some kind, it's as if we have to be constantly reminded of it. No, I will not pat you on the back for doing something as basic as writing a good character just because I don't expect it from you. Stop ramming him down our throats ([insert your innuendo here]).

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 1

Can we even call Yangus in Heroes II a true playable character? Sure you can use him, but only in bonus modes outside the main plot. The only reason you can even use him in the bonus modes is because he was in Heroes I.

Either way, being in a few Fortune Street games and Heroes doesn't really seem like shoving him down your throat in the first place, since they're crossovers where you get to play as characters from throughout the series. He's popular, and I don't see why they shouldn't include more popular dudes in this stuff.

Getting his own spinoff is the only thing that I can really see as being considered excessive and even then it's not like you have to play Young Yangus Mystery Dungeon.

Like, maybe there's a joke here that I'm missing but I honestly fail to see the issue.

• Upvote 1

He's over-exposed in that he's in like every piece of bonus Dragon Quest material that would include characters from other games. Gotta get ol' Yangus in it if you're gonna put other characters in it.

• Upvote 1

LOL, way to liven up the boards with what might be considered a controversial topic.

Ahem.  Yangus is an extemporaneous blowhard of a character.  He never really helps out the hero.  He's kind of just there, for the ride, for the shits and giggles.  One has to wonder how much of a thief and how hard a life Pickham really is when he's so ready to give up all of his former habits, ALL of them so easily, so readily, without thinking, just because his life was saved?  Some roughneck he is.  I was always disappointed.  About the only usage he even has in battle, is to carry an additional Timbrel of Tension.

A washed up nobody from a world only known amongst a small town at the edge of the world who thinks his name is established beyond the miniscule borders.  Then again Yangus' tiny mind could barely fathom why his usefulness falters so quickly by mid-game that he's nothing more than a mule to buff his master.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

Yangus: *furiously types*

• Upvote 1

Yangus: *furiously types*

*impatiently awaits an attempt to defend the indefensible!*

Ha, I've finally revealed my TRUE feelings for that nonsensical axe-wielding buffoon.

I wonder if the Japanese public doesn't love him so much because he falters when it comes to what he's supposed to be best at...stealing!  What can he steal that doesn't take 3 days, 6000 attempts, and five meals later?  A single seed, that's what!  Neither he, nor Red were ever able to conquer the Swordsman's labyrinth, but bring a simpleton knight with a big heart and blammo, genius is made.  Even the most innocent make for better treasure raiders and problem solvers than ol' Yangus the overlarge!

I don't need to type when I can sum it up in one video:

I don't need to type when I can sum it up in one video:

Speechless?  Haven't much to say?  The evidence is overwhelmingly in my court!  The bowel movement against oversized swineherd useless contemporary characters...aka, the Anti-Yangus movement grows larger still!  Soon you'll be outdone in numbers.  Already outclassed in every capacity, but then what can a bumbling oaf, former thief with an ego larger than his reputation do at this point but to balk and cry, and whine!?!?

Pour your Yangus tears of infested uselessness into my cup.  Oh, the sweet sweet tears of a man far below his station after only just realizing the reality of his uselessness!  Ol' Yangus gonna cry it out...or maybe you'll just go to town on another bridge with that Axe, failing to hit the right spot as always, and praying someone with intelligence and actual ability swoops in to save him once more!

Hahahahaha!  HAHAHAHAHAHA!

To thee I say: HA!

You have no case knave!

Edited by ignasia7

Damnit Yangus...where's the Gusto, the PASSION!  You named your sorry self after this blowhard useless twat, at least have the decency to put up a wall of drivel in response!

(Pulls finger out of nose)

You wut? Oh right, a rebuttal...

Ahem...

COR BLIMEY!

There, that should do it. Case closed, I win.

• Upvote 2

Finger in your nose...ha, I was right to scorn you.  So useless a twat, instead of actually doing something with your life, you're staring into space and picking your nose!

Probably why Red barely registers your existence, and only feels pity for your pointless self, who could have been a king, but chose instead to be a lackluster pitiless petticoat churl!

No wonder she only lets you play as her "partner" and carry-weight mule.

*damn, I had something really good, but lost it due to random events popping up in life and I totally lost my train of thought...*

Probably why Red barely registers your existence, and only feels pity for your pointless self, who could have been a king, but chose instead to be a lackluster pitiless petticoat churl!

No wonder she only lets you play as her "partner" and carry-weight mule.

*damn, I had something really good, but lost it due to random events popping up in life and I totally lost my train of thought...*

Who's the one with the tiny brain now? :P

Who's the one with the tiny brain now? :P

Touche my nemesis...touche...

We'll meet again at the end of the world, at the end of time, and for a thousand tomorrows I will defeat you once and for all!  Then steal a taste of Red...velvety cake.

*speaking of your current topic, it took me 3 minutes to load up your quote, but the "reply" window is greyed out with only the text, the quote, and none of the options available*

Thank God this wasn't a Yaoi.

The unfortunate fools who might find Yangus remotely attractive enough for...oh God that's actually gross.  This is what happens when you have undersexed women in an oversexed culture that's dying...damnit Japan, get your $#!& together, Yaoi is royally messed up when a woman would rather fantasize about her favourite anime/game man being with another man instead of her.

• Upvote 1

Also the only bad thing about Yangus is that he keeps my The Lord of the Dragovians and Red from being a canon couple, which means I can't self insert myself for wish fulfillment. Jk not really. By the way eal, you should do a topic about why The Lord of the Dragovians sucks next. Just for the shits and giggles.

Also the only bad thing about Yangus is that he keeps my The Lord of the Dragovians and Red from being a canon couple, which means I can't self insert myself for wish fulfillment. Jk not really. By the way eal, you should do a topic about why The Lord of the Dragovians sucks next. Just for the shits and giggles.

Too easy.

Dammit you let a perfectly good opportunity go to waste, kinda like Final Fantasy VIII's story.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Dammit you let a perfectly good opportunity go to waste, kinda like Final Fantasy VIII's story.

Ah snap!

Wow, 19 posts (not including mine) in about 3 hours. 

But for the sake of the topic, I really don't like or dislike Yangus.

My reason is: I have never played DQ8. And I probably won't play the game till my dad finishes 7 and then 8, and he's taking to long with 7 (he's had it since like October, i think).

7 can take a LOOONG time.

Oh, I don't dislike Yangus, but it's easy to poke holes. There's a lot of meat there to chew through, however.

Ah snap!

He's just saying that because he's jealous I punched him a little too hard and he can't get up.  Squandered his failed chance at being noticed...as though anyone really cares for the Lord of the Shut-ins!

To make a serious point, Yangus does suck at stealing items in game. I've never tried having Yangus use Steal Sickle constantly in game, but I've heard enough to know its not really worth investing in while the rest of his Scythe skills are pretty good.

To make a serious point, Yangus does suck at stealing items in game. I've never tried having Yangus use Steal Sickle constantly in game, but I've heard enough to know its not really worth investing in while the rest of his Scythe skills are pretty good.

You would think they would have given him uber stealing skills, especially given his history, and the respect shown in Pickham...even in the remake.  I mean having a candy cane to fight with is pretty cool, but where's Yangus' santa suit to go with it?  Why not make one and have it double his SSS chances with the full outfit?  That would have been so awesome.

Since when was this about Shinji Ikari?

At least he took to fighting his conscious and took up piloting again...plus he has a good excuse.  His father created the conditioning for such a young man to become a recluse ;).  Nevermind his several conscious breaks due to his care for his coworkers and fellow pilots.

The Dragovians you shut themselves your people in after the fact...when there was no longer a need for the precaution.  When their numbers were dwindling, despite knowing they can maintain their lineage by marrying humans, instead of allowing their bloodlines to dwindle.  Plus it isn't like the halfbreed-Hero hasn't shown up his pure-blooded brethren or anything.

What say you oh cowardly dragonman?  Afraid of a little human being, eh?  Afraid you might be called to help and you cannot say no?  Or maybe it's because you lost your abilities?  Oh, but wait, you intentionally created the conditions that weakened your people.  The power of D is weak with this one.  Or maybe it was just pretense and a bluff?

Didn't expect Iggy to pop up for this one. And he's firing on all cylinders too!