Sign in to follow this  
Leibach0722

Newbie Question

Hi guys, sorry to ask some stupid questions here but I am having trouble finding answers without giving too much away. Does this game have traditional dungeons/raids? I think I saw one of the videos Cranberry posts on youtube and she was doing a dungeon. I really haven't found much on raid bosses though. Also, if there are, are they possible to do not speaking Japanese? Or do they require a lot of coordination and planning to do? I am trying to learn as much as possible for the Switch release without giving too much away. I have been reading a lot of posts, memorized the menus, and getting ready.

Do a lot of people on here still play?

Thanks!

Dungeons are mostly done throughout the story and they aren't like traditional mmo dungeons where you go in kill a few bosses and get out. Think of them more like the dungeons you'd find in a single player JRPG.

Also no raids. There are 8 man bosses but those are mostly related to the story as well, and they aren't that terribly difficult. 

As tribal said, rather than the kind of dungeons like other MMOs, the "dungeons" in DQX feels way more like single player ones.

You can do them except some optional hard bosses with AI partners. In such cases you'd usually need to be wearing end game gear with the best enchantments and decked out passive skills from every other class. But otherwise, no, AI partners are enough to get you through story.

As for the amount of players.... I honestly don't think so. When I go back online I usually found me alone by myself on the team, but thinking about it, it's most likely it's due to my different timezone.

Oh there are still decent amount of random players though.

Outside of story stuff, which can be handled with AI, if you so choose, we have:

Magic Tower - Probably what you saw in Cran's video. A random dungeon with three floors of monsters and a boss. It scales to the average level of the team. You can use coins and cards to either add bonus monsters to a separate floor such as metal slimed, or to fight special bosses. If you summon a boss, you'll bypass the 3 monster floors. For regular runs, you must either bring a team of 4 or be randomly matched up with people. For coins/cards, you have the option of bringing AI.

Super Bosses: These are our 8 person boss fights. You can bring AI, but expect a challenge if you do.

Magic Labyrinth: A timed dungeon that costs a special currency that you get every week that you do solo with a special NPC who you level up. You can bring one monster with you as well. It has two floors of monsters and a boss floor, with break rooms in between.

Pyramid: 9 unique rooms where you fight a few waves of enemies followed by a boss, with no breaks per room.

Can be done with AI or a party.

There's more stuff, too. If you want me to delve into it further, just ask.

Edited by MKVarana

Thanks guys..So I was expecting more of a traditional MMO Bosses/Parties.  I always play a healing class in MMOS. I love to heal and find it easier to get a party. Now im wondering if this would be the game to try a different class!

Healer is a good class since the team is lacking them. But it is easier to play with the AI comrades if you are an offensive class. I would maybe start with an offensive class then focus on healer next.

To be fair, if you choose to use team/friend AI, your class won't matter for most of story. ;)

A bunch of us should have strong, level 99 characters by the time the Switch version comes out.

So choose whatever class you like best. :)

• Upvote 1

Yeah I guess because there are no level restrictions when you choose team/friend members as AI, they can just be overwhelming. Overall if we do something together, we are always lacking a healer. I can do it but suck at it. Someone who is proficient in it would be nice.

• Upvote 1

It might surprise you, but AI healers are actually pretty good. I swear, sometimes they know which one would get hit, that they cast heal instantly after a party member received damage.

Perhaps only thing lacking is that they don't really use lots of buffs. Though not that healer has lots of buffs anyway. But they do cast those more often when against strong mob or bosses.

Well an experienced player is always better however, if you can get a player in your party that is.

• Upvote 1

All healer AI is not created equal.  Some characters are surprisingly capable as AI healers.  But there are some that do a horrendous job.  Just yesterday I had a case where I was at critical HP, and was standing right next to the Priest AI waiting for them to heal me.  I stood there for 20 seconds, and they just stood there like a statue doing nothing until the boss finally killed me.

Don't be afraid to fire your AI healer and get another one of it's doing poorly.  The AIs are definitely not all equal.

• Upvote 1