What Do You Like on Netflix?

Also this summer I found a long-running binge-worthy often hilarious show most nobody's heard of being a non-Superhero show on the CW. Jane the Virgin. Love that it's very obviously set in Florida and actually hits on some really topical stuff while simultaneously being batshit crazy!

Well, a 7-minute long bizzare monolog to start the final season (with the actress shoving food in her mouth during it) finally convinced me to cook a food they'd mentioned often enough: areapas.

Made a couple yesterday as a test run with leftover taco meat and it was so so so damn good! 45fe85d90e1503ff85a3d27b80aa076b.jpga1524e4c69613622a878e5b1d2d85e49.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thing I like on Netflix. The availability of all of the Star Trek TV shows. I watch a lot of Star Trek and I love that I have access to the full library. They used to have all the movies, but

Tonight's episode of Sex Education is brought to you by Super Smash Bros. Remember kids, first Smash, then smash.

Starting watching a new show on Netflix called Virgin River.  New medical professional arrives in a small town with a grumpy doctor that doesn't really want to change the way he does stuff.  Sounds a

Posted Images

Managed to watch two different things on Netflix the past two days.

First up was the adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham. I wasn’t sure what to expect from it, but to my surprise it was actually really good. I’m honestly shocked how well it turned out for being made into a 13 episode show. The voice cast, animation, world design and colors were all perfect for Seuss’ crazy world, the changes made to flesh out the characters was pretty gripping actually, and there were some twists in the latter half of the show I wasn’t expecting. I’d say it’s one of the best adaptations of Dr. Seuss’ books, and is well worth a watch. Especially if you are a fan of animation. This is one of the best looking and animated shows I’ve seen in awhile. Warner Bros. Studios did an excellent job in the art department.

The other thing I (FINALLY) watched was Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie. I remember when Nick was advertising the movie and when the trailer from comicon popped up a few years back, and I was surprised we were getting a proper send of for the series years later! To this day Hey Arnold! is one of my favorite animated shows because it was well written and could handle heavy material in a good way for young and old audiences. It was always a go to for me as a kid.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. The new voice cast for the kids sound like their actors from the show, seeing a collection of all the people Arnold helped was awesome to see, and even though the movie was made years later it still had a lot of the writing and musical cue elements that made the show pretty funny if you were paying attention. I’m glad the movie was finally made and that I was able to watch it at last.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally watched that Kurt Russell Santa movie Christmas Chronicles. I said this elsewhere, but it’s basically a slightly above average Hallmark Channel movie (in terms of the subplot involving the kids) and a below average Elf/Fred Claus-style movie (in terms of the Kurt Russell Santa plot) mashed together to make an overall average Christmas movie.

If someone in your family likes Hallmark movies and you like Elf or Fred Claus or any of those other Christmas movies that try to have a lot of unique Santa lore, it’s basically a “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” situation.

I finally watched that Kurt Russell Santa movie Christmas Chronicles. I said this elsewhere, but it’s basically a slightly above average Hallmark Channel movie (in terms of the subplot involving the kids) and a below average Elf/Fred Claus-style movie (in terms of the Kurt Russell Santa plot) mashed together to make an overall average Christmas movie.
If someone in your family likes Hallmark movies and you like Elf or Fred Claus or any of those other Christmas movies that try to have a lot of unique Santa lore, it’s basically a “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” situation.
Oh it was awful. Unless I'm forgetting something, the ending was contrived.

But its Lifetime-esque Christmas Bs so it is what it is, I guess. There are still a lot better Christmas classics out there. Modern Christmas movies need to step up their game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

But its Lifetime-esque Christmas Bs so it is what it is, I guess. There are still a lot better Christmas classics out there. Modern Christmas movies need to step up their game.

It was fine. I was really nervous when I started watching it. There were some serious Hallmark vibes I was getting with the kids and their personal issues, and at the same time, aspects of it gave me the impression that some one dug out a script written back in 2008. And also, Kimberly Williams-Paisley was in it, and she screams “2008” and “Hallmark Channel” to me. Then they copy and paste Kurt Russell’s Santa into the movie, and I kept thinking about all the recent Christmas movies that try to introduce their own lore and explanations to update the Santa mythos.

As an aside, I’m still waiting for the movie that has Santa as a real being that also tries to explain to you why parents don’t believe in him even though they’re not the ones putting presents under trees, he is.

If you really think about it, Kurt Russell could have been removed from the movie and could have been replaced with a more generic Santa Claus and this would have literally been a standard Hallmark movie. It’s like they grafted to scripts together, considering a movie could be made about his Santa easily seeing as he spends so much time uninvolved in the main plot.

Hallmark has ruined Christmas movies. I think I saw an ad over Thanksgiving where they claimed to be releasing 24 MOVIES DURING DECEMBER. Even Netflix is trying to compete with them now. Have you seen the trashy junk they’ve been releasing? A Christmas Prince trilogy? The Knight Before Christmas? Let It Snow? Just type the word “Christmas” into Netflix and you’ll see so many bland, cheap love story Christmas movies with the big Netflix “N” next to it. That being said, I heard Klaus was a great animated movie so I’m interested in seeing how that is sometime this month.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Klaus, the new animated Christmas movie up on Netflix, looks to be pretty good. I’m going to try and watch it on Wednesday on my day off from work.

I really wish someone else around here was more into animation. 😭

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I really wish someone else around here was more into animation. 😭

As you’re aware, I’m very into animation. 😏

26 minutes ago, eal said:

As you’re aware, I’m very into anime. 😏

Fixed that a bit. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Starting watching a new show on Netflix called Virgin River.  New medical professional arrives in a small town with a grumpy doctor that doesn't really want to change the way he does stuff.  Sounds a lot like Everwood from ages ago & totally has that vibe too 3 episodes in.  Doesn't hurt that Alexandra Breckenridge looks like Emily VanCamp.

WLFPlpV.jpg

o-EMILY-VANCAMP-facebook.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Starting watching a new show on Netflix called Virgin River.  New medical professional arrives in a small town with a grumpy doctor that doesn't really want to change the way he does stuff.  Sounds a lot like Everwood from ages ago & totally has that vibe too 3 episodes in.  Doesn't hurt that Alexandra Breckenridge looks like Emily VanCamp.

WLFPlpV.jpg

o-EMILY-VANCAMP-facebook.jpg

Speaking of Emily Vancamp, the show she’s on on Fox called The Resident is pretty good. I don’t know if it can be watched on Hulu or something else, but it’s worth watching if you can @Plattym3.

• Like 1
Speaking of Emily Vancamp, the show she’s on on Fox called The Resident is pretty good. I don’t know if it can be watched on Hulu or something else, but it’s worth watching if you can [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention].
My wife lives that. Has the boyfriend from Gilmore Girls on it.
[mention=5497]eal[/mention], [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention], and [mention=85877]DrippySlimeStar[/mention]: the Ni No Kuni movie will be up on Netflix in January.
https://www.siliconera.com/ni-no-kuni-movie-netflix-debut-set-for-january-2020/
Interesting. Odd, but decent? https://rpgamer.com/2019/09/ni-no-kuni-movie-review/
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m gonna watch it, but man, Studio Ghibli has really become a design aesthetic ever since they stopped producing movies. Hopefully it’s good, cuz from what I’ve seen, it looks somewhat generic.

9 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m gonna watch it, but man, Studio Ghibli has really become a design aesthetic ever since they stopped producing movies. Hopefully it’s good, cuz from what I’ve seen, it looks somewhat generic.

Yeah, it’s a shame they stopped producing movies. It’s why I have my eyes on Studio Ponoc, the folks who did Mary and the Witch’s Flower. Has the same style since it’s made by former Studio Ghibli folks, and a hope their next movie will be like Witch’s Flower. That was as a good movie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I saw! I thought there wasn't a chance in hell it got over to us after it didn't do well in Japan. I am so god damn excited. Maybe there's a shot we get Your Story over here now.

18 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I saw! I thought there wasn't a chance in hell it got over to us after it didn't do well in Japan. I am so god damn excited. Maybe there's a shot we get Your Story over here now.

I didn’t know the movie didn’t do well over in Japan. Totally wasn’t aware of that. I’ll watch it regardless since I became a fan thanks to Ni No Kuni 2.

Without spoilers, is there a reason it wasn’t a hit? Was it because it doesn’t relate to either of the games or something?

17 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I didn’t know the movie didn’t do well over in Japan. Totally wasn’t aware of that. I’ll watch it regardless since I became a fan thanks to Ni No Kuni 2.

Without spoilers, is there a reason it wasn’t a hit? Was it because it doesn’t relate to either of the games or something?

Not sure I haven't looked into anything about it. I just saw a few articles saying it didn't review well and the article I read said it flopped. I know it's not based in the world of either the first or second game.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
The link I provided above has some "Meh" to it. On the podcast I listened to Michael talk about it, it was just a bunch of "Meh." A unique story they threw together in that kinda same world... Googling the reviews... This cracked me up.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2019/08/28/films/film-reviews/ni-no-kuni-two-worlds-little-life-found/#.XfRu7rdOmdMb9c6efadefc64a6e9b78b7a1db17745e.jpgda7fc9a0aed022f3f392d0bb01a23262.jpg

Wow. It opened to half the amount of ticket sales as Dragon Quest Your Story. Geeze, and that was a Meh kinda flop too.

Basically it sounds likes like the same kinda issue: studios slapped some imagery together that is reminiscent of a video game series, put said series name on it and wrote a Meh story expecting it to simply sell based on the name.

50 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow. It opened to half the amount of ticket sales as Dragon Quest Your Story. Geeze, and that was a Meh kinda flop too.

Basically it sounds likes like the same kinda issue: studios slapped some imagery together that is reminiscent of a video game series, put said series name on it and wrote a Meh story expecting it to simply sell based on the name.

When will people learn you actually need to put some effort into licensed products? Word of mouth can really affect movie ticket sales VERY quickly.

I’ll give it a watch when it pops up on Netflix, but at least I know to go in with “meh,” expectations. Same with the DQ Your Story movie if we ever get the chance to officially watch it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
When will people learn you actually need to put some effort into licensed products? Word of mouth can really affect movie ticket sales VERY quickly.
I’ll give it a watch when it pops up on Netflix, but at least I know to go in with “meh,” expectations. Same with the DQ Your Story movie if we ever get the chance to officially watch it.
Yep! No reason not to catch it for free on Netflix.
9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s worth noting that the studio responsible for animating this movie is OLM, who work on almost exclusively children’s anime. Pokemon, Yo-Kai Watch, etc. If it was brought to the US in the last 5-7 years it has a toy brand attached to it. What I’m saying is that this is not a studio known for top-tier work.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:36 PM, Plattym3 said:

It was good. Really good. Well-written (the reviews are good). The kids are just regular kids, it's not like Dawson's Creek or Gilmore Girls where they all talk like walking encyclopedic-thesauruses.

Also, I've now binged 3 full seasons of Netflix shows in about 12 days. I really am annoyed by their 8-episode seasons.

Sex Education - excellent
A Series of Unfortunate Events - excellent
Friends From College - better than the first season. I still liked it.

Back to The Ranch. I need more bull semen-based TV.

I completely forgot about this post but I ended up binging Sex Education the last couple days. Otis... ʳᵉᵐᶦⁿᵈˢ ᵐᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵐᵉ.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...