Anybody else hopes the series returns to a solo protagonist again?

I think job classes could be integrated. Again, something I'd have to think about, but I like the idea.

I'll have to keep thinking about this, but I'm liking this. Could have some potential.

I feel the biggest draw to the JobClass system is how different job classes combine. Even if they used a system akin to Bravely Default, there would be a notable lack of synergy with just a single character

I think job classes could be integrated. Again, something I'd have to think about, but I like the idea.

I'll have to keep thinking about this, but I'm liking this. Could have some potential.

I feel the biggest draw to the JobClass system is how different job classes combine. Even if they used a system akin to Bravely Default, there would be a notable lack of synergy with just a single character

I was thinking something like Fron Software games were you have a quick access list you could cycle through on the D-pad or something. Let's you set 6 spells/abilities, so depending on your preferences you could go for a physical build who uses Oomph and Sap with a few physical attack moves or a magic build that would end up using stuff like Kafrizzle and Magic Burst with a support ability that restores MP slowly over time.

That's another idea I had too: allowing customization how your stats grow. I figure at the beginning of the game you could assign a class to the protagonist, then about a few hours in (we'll say 2-5) you'll find a crumbling but functioning Alltrades Abbey that the people no longer visit/support. There you could reassign your job class and decide if you want to change your stats some. Right now I'm thinking your current job class should have some effect on your stats, but not to a high degree unless you became a Gladiator or Sage.

I'll have to think about which job classes should be in, as well as if skills/spells should be like in DQ7 3DS.

Another thing: character customization. I think there should be a default male/female look for the protagonist, though something with some more pizazz over the simple brown haired like we see on the default of DQ9 and DQ10's original boxart. And if you aren't happy with the way the default looks, then you can change their appearance in several ways.

One more possible idea for now: having a monster companion. This one could polarize the whole "lone journey," aspect, but I think it would be kind of fun to have a monster companion along. They would be set save from being given a tactic to change how they act, and act like in DQV where you have to be a certain level before one might offer to join you. They'd have as much personality as they do in DQV.

Thanks Jay. I'd been meaning to get back to adding some more ideas into my posts, so this was a good opportunity to continue. I still have to iron out some things, but I've liked throwing in the above ideas. Gives me something to think about.

I apologize again, I've realized I've been letting this get too contentious. Mea culpa for making it too much like an argument.

I think we're having a disagreement in terms. I understand that the first games allow don't hardcore beeline you from one town to the next, but in, say, DQIII for example, even though you can feasibly wander between any of the handful of towns available to you if you manage to survive, your travels are still heavily curated with locked gates and powerful monsters (and it's not like MegaMan Battle Network, where you can dodge and pea-shoot damn near anything to death from the word Go). Gameplay curated like that is what I consider "on rails", but I'll be the first to admit I have a broader definition than most. Maybe even an incorrect one.

I actually agree with you about Dragon Quest and its backseat stories; I like the role-playing genre for the world and the story, so I'll try to wrench as much story as I can out of the games, and it can be a chore at times (and it's frustrating when people come away with bad impressions of good characters because they've missed too much of that character's story); DQ actually has some very cool stories, but it has a bad habit of not telling them very well.

Still, I maintain that a good story is absolutely necessary to such a game as this, because, unless you have some unique or distinctive gameplay, that's how you would distinguish it as a game. And considering Dragon Quest is convention-bound to menu-based combat, it's hard for me to see much innovation there, and it'd have to be the story that keeps this game from becoming "Pointless and Generic Quest" (also, without a good story, it's also have to be super short lest it become a chore). If you've got an awesome story for a solo adventure, then great! (And I perfectly understood your concerns from the first post, thanks, my objection is just that pointless exploration is pointless).

It was rude of me to be callous about solo runs. Apologies. (I'm perfectly fine with doing solo runs in party games, to explain; I do solo runs in IX all the time).

(As a nit-pick: Sword of Dusk is accurate in thinking that you were inconsistent, even if he was wrong about your motive. You jumped from "Anybody else hopes the series returns to a solo protagonist again? Because I certainly do." to "I'm NOT saying they SHOULD go back to it, only that I would find interesting if they would." The first doesn't merely happen to imply that they should, it necessarily implies it, because to "hope" is to "anticipate an unrealized good", especially in reference to a current inferior state where you exist without that same good;  the entire OP reinforces the idea by indicating solo adventures to be superior to adventures with required party members, which you believe to be overdone and over-relied upon. To say that you don't think "they should go back" to what you "[hope] the series [returns] to" is self-contradictory.

Understandable. I too can get a bit hot-headed myself when it comes to arguments. I realize I did come off on the wrong foot on a couples of points as well.

While I stand by my position on story in games, I do think that DQ does have some of the most enjoyable ones I've ever had in JRPGs. The casts are fun, the stories don't take themselves too seriously, and when sh*t actually goes down it has impact. I think Horii does a good job of not letting story get in the way too much, which is my main gripe with a lot of other JRPGs.  While I tend to look for more of an adventure of my own with a great deal of exploration in RPGs, I can definitely agree that DQ, even though I wish they were more open, has some of the more enjoyable ones in the genre. Hell I'm finding DQXI's setup pretty interesting. I just didn't think it was quite fair to say that story was all people played DQ for.

I don't think story is totally unnecessary in JRPGs, and if what I said before lead you to believe that then I'm sorry. As you can probably already tell I'm more of a "f*ck yeah adventurin'" kind of guy lol, but it is nice for things to have their own background and identity to them.

And about the OP and what I said after, I realize now that what I said may have conveyed the wrong feelings to anyone who's happened upon this thread. It wasn't my intention to say that "it should go back to being solo". "I think it would be cool if they went back to it and built upon it" was what I was mainly trying to say. But yeah, the wording could've definitely been better and I apologize for that too.

Adventuring is cool. VI has some of my favorite exploration, for example. That game pulled off two worlds to explore very nicely.

And it's cool. Two passionate guys talking past each other is hardly the worst thing in the world.