Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

How much of an impact does music have on your daily life?

What, you aren't gonna post the parking lot clip?

I still can't get over that those guys recorded themselves doing that. Good for them for being themselves I guess, but that's the kind of thing you should probably keep to yourselves.

Recording it was fine. Putting it on YouTube was where they went wrong.

I am crazy for music (he said, desperately attempting to re-rail the topic )!  This post is lengthy, so bear with.  this is mostly a rundown of my wide tastes in tuneage.

As my profile says, my favorites lean hard into Progressive Rock, most especially Rush and Yes.  I realize that's a pretty wild jump, from the well written lyrics of Neil Peart ( As sung by Geddy Lee) to the "word salad" in most Yes songs, as my late friend and online "professor of music appreciation" would put it.  I'm also into The Alan Parsons Project and all phases of Genesis (Peter Gabriel as well as Phil Collins ).

I also have a soft spot for 90's EDM, like Prodigy, Future Sound of London, and Daft Punk (both pre- and post- "Discovery" album, which brought them wider acclaim).  the kind of stuff MTV used to play on the AMP programming block back when they gave two shakes about music. 

I also love many different types of video game music.  NES, C64 ( though I never owned one ), All the way up to Mass Effect (one of the best OSTs of the modern age is the first Mass Effect).

I also have a soft spot for 1980's cartoon theme songs.  the stuff they'd come up with for intros, back when animation was pricier, and they needed the 30-second to 1 minute buffer to cut production costs.  I unapologetically have Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors Silverhawks,Thundercats, and Terrahawks in my playlist.

As to what I use music for?  I use it to elevate my moods.  There's all manner of affirmative and boosting songs in Rush's catalogue, as well as some hearty jams about weighty topics I use for catharsis, to remind myself of the burdens so many of us have experience with.  I might accompany a walk to the grocery store with these, or those forementioned 80's or anime themes to make what i'm doing feel a little less mundane.

I am crazy for music (he said, desperately attempting to re-rail the topic )!  This post is lengthy, so bear with.  this is mostly a rundown of my wide tastes in tuneage.

As my profile says, my favorites lean hard into Progressive Rock, most especially Rush and Yes.  I realize that's a pretty wild jump, from the well written lyrics of Neil Peart ( As sung by Geddy Lee) to the "word salad" in most Yes songs, as my late friend and online "professor of music appreciation" would put it.  I'm also into The Alan Parsons Project and all phases of Genesis (Peter Gabriel as well as Phil Collins ).

I also have a soft spot for 90's EDM, like Prodigy, Future Sound of London, and Daft Punk (both pre- and post- "Discovery" album, which brought them wider acclaim).  the kind of stuff MTV used to play on the AMP programming block back when they gave two shakes about music. 

I also love many different types of video game music.  NES, C64 ( though I never owned one ), All the way up to Mass Effect (one of the best OSTs of the modern age is the first Mass Effect).

I also have a soft spot for 1980's cartoon theme songs.  the stuff they'd come up with for intros, back when animation was pricier, and they needed the 30-second to 1 minute buffer to cut production costs.  I unapologetically have Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors Silverhawks,Thundercats, and Terrahawks in my playlist.

As to what I use music for?  I use it to elevate my moods.  There's all manner of affirmative and boosting songs in Rush's catalogue, as well as some hearty jams about weighty topics I use for catharsis, to remind myself of the burdens so many of us have experience with.  I might accompany a walk to the grocery store with these, or those forementioned 80's or anime themes to make what i'm doing feel a little less mundane.

Man that's impressive that you have such a pinpoint idea of the genres of music you like. I'm all over the place. 

Been listening to The Mars Volta and Kikuo a lot lately. 

If there's one kind of video game music I really like, it's PC-88 and MS-DOS styled music. The kind of stuff you hear in Sega Genesis games, with Yuzo Koshiro being the king of this kind of music. I remember seeing a few pictures of the software and computers he uses even today to create that kind of music, and it's pretty sweet.

My first exposure to this style being back on PC thanks to the first Putt-Putt game from Humongous Entertainment. Years later I was introduced to the PC-88 style thanks to Etrian 3, but all the Sega Genesis game soundtracks I heard (Ristar's being a good example) made me like the style more and more. While somewhat familiar to MS-DOS, I never grew up with a Sega system, so when I eventually started playing Genesis games and Etrian 3 I was captivated by the sound quality and capabilities of the format because it was unlike anything I was used to.

There's something about PC-88/MS-DOS sound formatting that just gets me. I think it's that sound that attempts to be a real instrument, but instead comes across as bells, chimes, and the like. Not to mention how the bass parts usually sound, but my appreciation for that part of music stems back to my bass/baritone/tuba playing days while in school.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Aside from some songs, I don't require words to enjoy a song. It's why I generally prefer video game music, as there's often a lot of feeling in a given track, despite lacking any words.

My school has banned weirder. It was in our student handbooks that cat ears and tails were not allowed to be worn at school. This was a real thing in our handbook because we actually had a problem with kids coming into school wearing these things.

Too bad they couldn't ban running with your hands behind your back huh.
  • Upvote 1

Aside from some songs, I don't require words to enjoy a song. It's why I generally prefer video game music, as there's often a lot of feeling in a given track, despite lacking any words.

My school has banned weirder. It was in our student handbooks that cat ears and tails were not allowed to be worn at school. This was a real thing in our handbook because we actually had a problem with kids coming into school wearing these things.

BELIEVE IT!

I'm so sorry for posting that.

Dattebayo.

Listening to music is mostly 60% of my day. I usually listen to vocaloid or sometimes the occasional video game music. But since i listened to it on a loaner chromebook and at my school yesterday was the day where we turn them in, I have no choice but to get my headphones and plug them into my 3ds and listen to the music track of whatever game's in the 3ds. I'm very lucky that both my mom and dad have computers. Or I wouldn't be able to survive the 3 months of summer break.

I listen to a lot of music. It's no secret that I battle with depression, and music has helped me a lot. Can't quite put my finger on why, but it helps!

I listen to a lot of music. It's no secret that I battle with depression, and music has helped me a lot. Can't quite put my finger on why, but it helps!

For some reason, listening to depressing music makes me less depressed.

You've gotta find something to stimulate your brain with when your down.

Hearing the SNES version of Dragon Quest III's soundtrack again recently brought back a lot of memories from playing that version in college. Especially "Adventure."

Also, it reminded me how frustrating it was to have a jester in the party...

It was good to have a jog of memory from the music. It's funny how music can suddenly spark up memories or ideas.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1