Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

DQXI Countdown Carnival Special Stage Livestream

Great to see more Dragon Quest XI footage!

Not really a fan of how the in-battle movement looks in this as well as in the previous footage we saw. It just looks plain awkward when the hero's just running around while your party members are stuck in standard line formation.

Also, now that the boss theme is much more audible and clear I can say that the quality of the synthesized samples they're using for this soundtrack isn't really doing the boss theme any justice. I feel it could sound a lot better had they gotten better resources for music production, and quite frankly they should've found better synths by now in the first place.

On the plus side, everything else looks fantastic. Loving the character and monsters models they have here and the overworld looks great as always.

• Upvote 2

Not really a fan of how the in-battle movement looks in this as well as in the previous footage we saw. It just looks plain awkward when the hero's just running around while your party members are stuck in standard line formation.

Very much so. I'm assuming based on the boss battle that that is something you can turn off because it looks plain dumb.

The rest I skimmed looked great!

Pretty much I feel what most have stated above but here's an unpopular opinion: I didn't like some of the tracks. The boss theme, the battle theme, and that overworld theme just... Didn't please my ears. It's a shame since I do like the simplicity of DQ music.

They will grow on me I'm sure but I liked the past works better. (9 is probably due to nostalgia).   

Here's an article by Gematsu. Great review. 

The Restricted Play System is real interesting. 

Off-topic but is anyone else annoyed with people constantly comparing this to Persona 5? Both are RPGs yes, but one is waifu simulator and the other is Dragon Ball DnD. 

Edited by Imutone

It looks great!

Still a bit worried about how this game is gonna work here. Japan is one thing, but DQ isn't big enough here for Sony and Nintendo to cooperate. So I feel like it's one or the other for us. And that will probably be Nintendo with the 3DS and eventual Switch version over the PS4 version. Would suck for those of us with PS4s, to be sure. Would suck even more if the Switch version has the same issues that DQ Heroes on the Switch has (bad frame rates).

Pretty much I feel what most have stated above but here's an unpopular opinion: I didn't like some of the tracks. The boss theme, the battle theme, and that overworld theme just... Didn't please my ears. It's a shame since I do like the simplicity of DQ music.

They will grow on me I'm sure but I liked the past works better. (9 is probably due to nostalgia).   

I actually feel the same way. And I've heard some Dragon Quest fans feel the same way.

It looks great!

Still a bit worried about how this game is gonna work here. Japan is one thing, but DQ isn't big enough here for Sony and Nintendo to cooperate. So I feel like it's one or the other for us. And that will probably be Nintendo with the 3DS and eventual Switch version over the PS4 version. Would suck for those of us with PS4s, to be sure. Would suck even more if the Switch version has the same issues that DQ Heroes on the Switch has (bad frame rates).

I highly doubt the Nintendo 3DS version would be localised for the West (I hope I'm wrong though) considering the Nintendo 3DS is at the end of its life cycle. That being said, I have no doubt the Nintendo Switch version would be localised for the West.

Like I said before, I think that the problem with the music is the synths they used. Most of themes we've heard I feel are quite well composed, but they way they're presented can have an impact on how a listener perceives them.

For example, have a listen to the original DQVIII battle theme and then compare it with the orchestrated version that we got in our release. As you can tell the latter is leagues better and much more appealing to the ears than the original, which sounds choppy, even for a game around that time (compared to other PS2 games that used a sequenced music format that is). I feel that it's a similar situation here only that we, unfortunately, don't have an orchestrated version.

The synth used in DQXI is mediocre at best. It's certainly a step above DQVIII's original samples, but that's not saying much and it's certainly not doing the themes we hear any service. The boss battle theme we hear in DQXI is probably the worst offender, and it baffles me as to why they stick to such mediocre synth when it wouldn't take much effort, especially for the devs of any game, to get better resources to make synthesized music more pleasing to hear.

The Restricted Play System is real interesting.

Off-topic but is anyone else annoyed with people constantly comparing this to Persona 5? Both are RPGs yes, but one is waifu simulator and the other is Dragon Ball DnD.

Persona 5 is not a waifu simulator. I'm tired of people spreading that false info around. It is a dungeon crawler with social sim elements.

Like I said before, I think that the problem with the music is the synths they used. Most of themes we've heard I feel are quite well composed, but they way they're presented can have an impact on how a listener perceives them.

For example, have a listen to the original DQVIII battle theme and then compare it with the orchestrated version that we got in our release. As you can tell the latter is leagues better and much more appealing to the ears than the original, which sounds choppy, even for a game around that time (compared to other PS2 games that used a sequenced music format that is). I feel that it's a similar situation here only that we, unfortunately, don't have an orchestrated version.

The synth used in DQXI is mediocre at best. It's certainly a step above DQVIII's original samples, but that's not saying much and it's certainly not doing the themes we hear any service. The boss battle theme we hear in DQXI is probably the worst offender, and it baffles me as to why they stick to such mediocre synth when it wouldn't take much effort, especially for the devs of any game, to get better resources to make synthesized music more pleasing to hear.

I really hope that the synth version we hear is just some sort of a place holder or something and that the final game will use orchestrated tracks.

I kinda like the regular battle theme but the synths really sound out of place for something that looks really detailed. Hearing it on the 3DS version doesn't sound that bad though.

I remember hearing as well that there'd be voice acting since they finally did it for the DQ VIII 3DS Remake. Maybe there is but they just decided not to showcase it yet.

Also, about the Free Movement Battle mode, I'm sure it'll look a lot better once they showcase another battle gameplay but this time, they change the rest of the party's Tactics to "Follow Orders" just like the Hero's. 

It's likely that we'll also be able to move them around once their turn comes (while the previous character whose turn just ended stays in place). That way, we can spread them out in the battle field and recreate a more dramatic battle positions.

Still though, they could've at least let the AI move them around as well similar to DQ IX battles.

Anyone know if this is the final product we're looking at? Or are they still hiding stuff from us just to make us hype more about it as soon as we find out that we're getting disappointed over nothing.

Edited by Lightpost

I really hope that the synth version we hear is just some sort of a place holder or something and that the final game will use orchestrated tracks.

I kinda like the regular battle theme but the synths really sound out of place for something that looks really detailed. Hearing it on the 3DS version doesn't sound that bad though.

I remember hearing as well that there'd be voice acting since they finally did it for the DQ VIII 3DS Remake. Maybe there is but they just decided not to showcase it yet.

Also, about the Free Movement Battle mode, I'm sure it'll look a lot better once they showcase another battle gameplay but this time, they change the rest of the party's Tactics to "Follow Orders" just like the Hero's. 

It's likely that we'll also be able to move them around once their turn comes (while the previous character whose turn just ended stays in place). That way, we can spread them out in the battle field and recreate a more dramatic battle positions.

Still though, they could've at least let the AI move them around as well similar to DQ IX battles.

Anyone know if this is the final product we're looking at? Or are they still hiding stuff from us just to make us hype more about it as soon as we find out that we're getting disappointed over nothing.

I have a feeling that in the final product, Dragon Quest XI will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack and no voice acting, considering Dragon Quest XI will be released in Japan in a little more than 2 months from now (2 months and 2 days). And if there were any changes made, we would probably hear about it months ago.

After finally getting a chance to watch the footage...why does the music kinda suck? It's not necessarily bad, but not up to DQ standard. And then there's the synth issues...

I have a feeling that in the final product, Dragon Quest XI will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack and no voice acting, considering Dragon Quest XI will be released in Japan in a little more than 2 months from now (2 months and 2 days). And if there were any changes made, we would probably hear about it months ago.

It's possible though that they're already done making those parts, it's just that they're just hiding it from us. I really hope this is the case.

Or maybe they're planning for the orchestrated music to be a paid DLC? >_<

Edited by Lightpost

True, but it's a shame it has to be through a Japanese broadcast. Why are they always so bad? They fumble around and constantly, mindlessly talk over the game. You only get a precious few minutes of actual impressions on the game.

• Upvote 2

Or maybe they're planning for the orchestrated music to be a paid DLC? >_<

I honestly wouldn't mind if that was the case. I love DQ music and I feel orchestral is the best way to go for these games' soundtracks. If and when Sugiyama orchestrates the soundtrack and they decide to make it DLC I probably wouldn't hesitate to jump on that since I'd love to experience the game with an orchestral soundtrack.

True, but it's a shame it has to be through a Japanese broadcast. Why are they always so bad? They fumble around and constantly, mindlessly talk over the game. You only get a precious few minutes of actual impressions on the game.

I can't even understand what's being said, so it doesn't bug me too much.

Oh, wow. The 3DS version looks...not great.

I'm happy that battle sprites are back rather than using 3D models, but they're not animated, or even very detailed. 

Persona 5 is not a waifu simulator. I'm tired of people spreading that false info around. It is a dungeon crawler with social sim elements.

Sorry, I meant to say high school melodrama. :^)

Real talk, it was just a distasteful joke. Persona is a good series. 

I'm happy that battle sprites are back rather than using 3D models, but they're not animated, or even very detailed. 

The 3DS version has an SNES-styled version of the game with sprites, and a DS/3DS-styled version of the game, with models.

The 3DS version has an SNES-styled version of the game with sprites, and a DS/3DS-styled version of the game, with models.

Ah, gotcha. That would make a lot more sense.

Sorry, I meant to say high school melodrama. :^)

Real talk, it was just a distasteful joke. Persona is a good series.

Not distasteful at all. Just inaccurate for someone looking for info on the series. You know how some people are quick to put down the waifu thing if they aren't already into it.

I actually feel the same way. And I've heard some Dragon Quest fans feel the same way.

It looks great!

I highly doubt the Nintendo 3DS version would be localised for the West (I hope I'm wrong though) considering the Nintendo 3DS is at the end of its life cycle. That being said, I have no doubt the Nintendo Switch version would be localised for the West.

I dunno... I still don't see the Switch as a portable replacement, especially with that nice new 2DS model that was revealed lately. But the 3DS is definitely on the decline even if not at the end of it's life, so yeah I can kinda see what you mean.

Well, regardless, I just hope the PS4 version makes it here. It has the potential to be pretty huge. Though ideally, all versions would be nice to have released overseas, but again I don't see Sony and Nintendo (of America especially) cooperating.

Edited by Fates
  • Upvote 1

It looks great!

I dunno... I still don't see the Switch as a portable replacement, especially with that nice new 2DS model that was revealed lately. But the 3DS is definitely on the decline even if not at the end of it's life, so yeah I can kinda see what you mean.

Well, regardless, I just hope the PS4 version makes it here. It has the potential to be pretty huge. Though ideally, all versions would be nice to have released overseas, but again I don't see Sony and Nintendo (of America especially) cooperating.

Plus the 3DS has a larger install base in the US than the PS4, by a small margin, and closing fast, but it's still about 10% larger than the PS4 base.

Also the 3DS hasn't shrunk in sales in the last year and a half, and if anything, has actually increased a little.  Plus, given the DQ7 and 8 attention, and that both use identical scripts, the cost after localization, to place the scripts in both would be minimal compared to doing just one, as most of that cost is in the localization itself, and beta testing wouldn't be much extra on top of that.

It would be financial suicide and stupid for SE to ditch on both releases.  Especially given the uniqueness.

However, I fully expect ONLY the PS4 will see promotion as the selling point, with some added bits of the 3DS at the end, or just the indicator it's on the 3DS as well in the final screen with the logo and release info.

Nevermind Nintendo's new 2DS version release, and the New 3DS was only just released.  I fully expect we'll see the 3DS supported through 2020, unless the Switch becomes a phenom by 2018.

Edited by ignasia7