Sign in to follow this  
Milogop

Looking to get DLC, someone guide me? or Mail and Tag?

Ok, so I made a reddit post about this too; I've been lurking on and off gamefaqs, here and the dqix reddit to try and find an easy and accessible way to get the DLC for Dragon Quest IX. Please forgive me if I'm posting this the wrong way, very new here. So, I'm looking for someone who is Australia based, or willing to ship back a cartridge from overseas to do a Mail'n'tag with me. I'm willing to pay anything under $35 (including shipping) for the extra quests and maybe a MKS map or something. Now, on the high chance that no one is willing to do this with me...

I would also appreciate a step-by-step guide on how to get DLC using 3rd party software like an AR or something; with direct links to the products I would need to buy. Also, I should note that I use a macbook air, and the only other computer in my house is a desktop with windows 10 (I seem to recall someone saying that the current NDS adaptor (or something) method only works with windows 7). Also, no EB Games (Australia equivalent of gamestop) within a 10 hour drive of my area has a preowned copy of DQIX that I can check for DLC or anything.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your time!

Edited by Milogop

You're going to want to talk to Liamland, he's the expert around here and he also can do mail and tag. He's based in the US though, I'm not sure if he does overseas.

I might be able to walk you through how to set it up by yourself using the NDS Adapter Plus. I have windows 7 and had a difficult time getting it to work on my PC. I ended up having to disable the check for driver signatures (or something to that effect) by mashing F8 on startup and then logging in as Admin. The same fix might work on Windows 10, but I'm not sure. I think my Dad has Windows 10 so I might be able to test it on his PC to see if it can be done if necessary.

Anyway I just got out of bed so once I wake up some more I'll play around with my NDS Adapter plus and try to remember how to work it so I can put together a guide for you.

I don't know exactly what to change for the DLC but I just tested the NDS adapter with Windows 10 and it worked. I just downloaded my save file gave my self 99,999 gold coins and re-uploaded and it worked.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/nds_adapter.php

Maybe Liam can clarify the correct steps in the save editor for DLC and quests. I see the quests tab but I wasn't sure what to change.

If you have a 3DS, I know of a homebrew application for it called the TWL Save Tool (GBAtemp page). I personally haven't used it before but know about it because my brother has used it. Functionally, it's the same thing as the NDS Adapter Plus in that it backs up/restores the data from the DS cart; it just does it to the 3DS's SD card rather than to your hard drive. From there, you should be able to connect the SD card to a computer, mess around with your save file as you like with the DQ IX Save Editor and restore it to the cart.

However you get your save file, open it up in the Save Editor. I had the pleasure of being able to meet Liamland in the Nintendo World Store and got my quests and some MKS and gem slime maps from him. When I got the NDS Adapter Plus to work on my computer, he sent me a guide on what to do. Currently awaiting permission from him to post the guide in full, but here are the parts you're interested in:

Inn tab: Inn grade to 6, check off all the Historical Characters.

Quest tab: Choose the DLC box, hit "Unacquired" and select "Go" to unlock the DLC quests.

If you have a 3DS, I know of a homebrew application for it called the TWL Save Tool (GBAtemp page). I personally haven't used it before but know about it because my brother has used it. Functionally, it's the same thing as the NDS Adapter Plus in that it backs up/restores the data from the DS cart; it just does it to the 3DS's SD card rather than to your hard drive. From there, you should be able to connect the SD card to a computer, mess around with your save file as you like with the DQ IX Save Editor and restore it to the cart.

However you get your save file, open it up in the Save Editor. I had the pleasure of being able to meet Liamland in the Nintendo World Store and got my quests and some MKS and gem slime maps from him. When I got the NDS Adapter Plus to work on my computer, he sent me a guide on what to do. Currently awaiting permission from him to post the guide in full, but here are the parts you're interested in:

Inn tab: Inn grade to 6, check off all the Historical Characters.

Quest tab: Choose the DLC box, hit "Unacquired" and select "Go" to unlock the DLC quests.

Huh, I never knew about that, that sounds a lot cheaper and easier than using the NDS adapter plus, I should look into that.

Just got a message from Liamland saying that I may, so here it is. He specifically said to include the part about the quicksave:

Okay, here's what you would need to do for DLC-unlock upgrades:

For starters, identify if your save is a quicksave or a regular (church) save.  The reason for this is if it's a quicksave, but you make all the changes without choosing the quicksave option, then all your changes will be overwritten when you boot the game (it loads the quicksave overwriting the save with your changes.)  Make sense?

Basically to test this, try selecting the quicksave radio button.  If it's grey'd out, then you have a regular save.

To upgrade your inn, go to the Inn tab and raise the Inn grade to 6.  Under Historical Characters, check off every box from Princeton to Fleurette.

Under the Quest tab (though we multiplayed, so you no longer have to do this, but for future reference/future games) - choose the DLC box, then hit the Unacquired radio button and select "Go".  This will unlock all of the locked quests.

To unlock exclusive items, you'll need to add them in 2 places in 3 possible tabs.  The first is to mark it discovered in either of the Wardrobe or Item List tabs.  Then go into the Items tab and add them to your inventory with a set quantity (I typically add 4).  If you forget to mark them discovered and only add them to inventory, the game will ignore the change.

Here's a list of the DQVC Exclusive items

To find them in the long list in the Save Editor, sort via groups, such as Head, Torso, etc. and scroll down until you see the legendary equipment.  Alegard Helm, Midenhall Garb, and such.  The DQVC exclusives are almost always just before the legendary equipment in the list.

Other than that, if you want copies of actual DQVC shops, there's a few in the DQIX section of Dragon's Den, including two of mine.

The Alef save has the New Years Sale, featuring half-priced Agate of Evolution ingredients.  RPG Wizard used the shop trip to get the max amount of items from the download, at the time.  Obviously with the Save Editor can raise that amount, but Alef's save is legit, if you wanted top copy it or use it for multiplayer shop raiding.  My Riamu save has all my maps, in case you wanted anything else we missed when you were in NY.  Incidentally, if you're copying an actual shop, you're going to want to copy all of the numbers including Expire, Next available, and Message Exp.  I've seen issues with the edited shop data being ignored by the game if even one of those numbers is off.

Ok, I'm going to see if I can order a NDS adaptor plus for use with my desktop. I'm using the link Woodus has provided, do you think you guys'll be able to help me out if something goes wrong/I need to ask a question on how to use it? Thanks!

Edit: Amazon pricing was in USD and shipping costs were insane and ended up at around $70 AUD. I just decided to order on Ebay instead and cut that price in half, but it is the exact same product in every way; so hopefully I didn't preemptively screw everything up.

Edited by Milogop

Ok, so my NDS Adaptor Plus arrived from Hong Kong a little earlier than expected; I'm going to try and follow some online tutorials and such to get it working with my spare DQ9 cartridge and put the DLC onto that; then to transfer the DLC from there to my actual cartridge. I'll let you know how it all goes!

Ok so I've been trying for a couple hours. Couple things gone wrong:
1. The dongle is an unknown device, and I can't seem to install the driver software; or it's not registering or something.
2. When I open the NDS Adaptor plus file with the latest firmware, the buttons are greyed out implying that the dongle is not inserted in my computer when I have double and triple checked that everything is in place.

To clarify, I'm following the tutorial on this site and I get up to the step where it says browse to the location where you downloaded and extracted the driver. I select the driver file in the browse section of the popup and I get this message:

"Windows was unable to install your Unknown Device

Windows could not find driver software for your device.

If you know the manufacturer if your device you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

And when I ditch that step and just try to open the NDS_Adaptor_Plus_V3.03 file, when there are two buttons where you can extract the save - they are both greyed out, which is only supposed to happen if the game/adaptor is not plugged in... which it is.

Edited by Milogop

Did you do these steps to disable driver signing?

Click the Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

Once you have done that (it took a couple trys for me), you should be able to install the NDS adapter driver

Yeah I did that twice, are you saying that it might work if I just keep restarting with the unsigned drivers method a few more times?

​EDIT: A day later, restarted many times using the special method and yet it still says there is no driver software to be installed. Is there an alternative? or extra troubleshooting? or something?

Edited by Milogop

You are doing "update driver" from the device manager and specifically pointing to the location where you downloaded and unzipped the driver from their website, correct?

Yes, 100%.

Did you get the big red warning box that the publisher is unverified? What does the device show in the device manager, is it still "unknown"?

Since you said you're on Windows 10, this actually reminded me of something. When I updated Windows 10 to the anniversary update, it would refuse to cooperate with the NDS Adapter Plus. I was only able to get it working again by reverting the update since I was still in the period I could do so. Is your Windows 10 machine on the anniversary update?

Yes the device is still unknown, but it doesn't get to any point where it even talks about a publisher being verified or not. It can't even get the publisher because the driver can't be recognised.

I don't know what version of Windows 10 the PC is actually on; it could likely be on the anniversary update. I recall going past an option to revert the software to a previous version while unsigning the boot drivers - I'll have a look at that. I have a couple old windows laptops lying around the house - apparently some of them have 'an old Windows' so maybe I'll get lucky and find a Windows 7 one. Would this whole method work on say... Windows 8 as well?

I am on 1703 (which should be the one after the anniversary update), but I will test again tonight with that version.

With Windows 7 you can hit F8 at boot and get the disable driver signing option instead of all those other steps.

Ok good news, found an old laptop with windows 7 lying around, it's the 'professional edition'. Do you think that would work? Couldn't find the unsign drivers option at startup so I'll try do it the manual way.

EDIT: Nevermind, I tried over and over; just wouldn't work. The boot drivers wouldn't un-sign (or whatever) even though the device could detect the actual USB in the computer this time. And the layout was completely different and there wasn't actually a way to re-boot the system with unsigned drivers from the settings. This is very frustrating, am I doomed to just never be able to get the DLC, despite even spending $50 dollars on a third party device that won't even work?

Edited by Milogop

So when you boot windows 7 with F8 and choose disable driver enforcement

win7_disable_driver.jpg

And then in windows do the update driver, choose to pick the location to find the driver, and pick the driver folder it won't install the driver?

02_update_driver.png

I dont get to that screen, it's on a laptop so in not sure it's possible to do it - and its using my parents work computer which requires admin permissions to make any changes to the settings (which was making things difficult). Essentially my only option is to use the Windows 10 PC - which is being dodgy in general.

Yeah that screenshot is for Windows 7,for Windows 10 that is where you have to do all those other steps to get windows to boot into the "disable driver signing mode" When you do the driver update then you should get the red warning screen

05_install_driver_anyway.png

Which I don't, because it still doesn't allow me to install the drivers because 'they could not be found'

Well I guess I am stumped then, I have never seen Windows fail to find the driver INF when you tell it specifically where to look, very strange indeed.

Well, that's disappointing. I'm gonna see if I can sell the Adaptor somewhere. In the meantime - do you know of anyone at all in this forum who still does/is willing to do some form of mail and tag or something like it?

I'll be back in NY in September, if you can wait until then.  I leave for Japan again in November, but I'm home for two months starting around Labor Day.