Sign in to follow this  
eal

Alena Sucks

It's time to wake up people. The top-tier waifu of Dragon Quest, Alena, is trash-tier. Yes, that's right. And I've got a good reason for why I feel this way.

First of all, her design is hideous. In terms of Toriyama's art style, it's certainly more unique, but unique doesn't mean better. Her hair is ridiculous and impractical, her hat is stupid looking, I hate those kinds of capes (the ones wrapped around the neck instead of hooked to the shoulders), and she wears generic Toriyama Shoes that every Dragon Quest/Ball character wears.

Then, you've got her accent. I don't actually hate it, but I know for a fact that like 75% of the Den complains about IV's accents, which Alena is not excluded from. Her and the other fake Russians she travels with. So you should hate her for that as well but for some reason people give her specifically a pass.

Okay, next you've got her personality. Oh, she's a "spitfire"! She's passionate! She says what she wants! So? That makes her awesome inherently? Having a different personality makes her better? This is a similar argument I hear about the slightly more trash-tier girl Maribel. Since she's so different and unique, that must make her better. No, her differences and unique personality quirks are annoying so that makes her bad. We as a whole have gotten so used to flat personalities that we're willing to accept any sort of variation. Sometimes we get something good, like Yangus, but oftentimes we get an Alena and we like her because she's such a powerful personality. Well, I hate her personality archetype so she sucks.

Then, you've got Kiryl. It's so obvious to anyone, there's no way any sane person wouldn't notice the hints he's giving off so she's either dense and can't see it or she won't just say, "not interested." Pick your poison but they're both pretty terrible.

https://youtu.be/hqz2fl9aJSM

The only girl in DQ I'd peg as trash tier is Debora, no bias.

Alena is cute I guess. I like Kiryl more these days, but eh.

Hey,she is not so bad.Though the fake-russianness stuff does piss me off a tad bit...

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Upvote 1

I highly, but respectfully disagree with everything you just said. Not like I feel that strongly about Alena, but I think she is cool.

Interesting. Honestly, I really liked her up until the remakes. Something changed then. Maybe it's because of the accent. Maybe it's because there's less imposing my imagination upon personalities and such now with party chat and voice acting. And I don't use her at all in the Heroes games, I prefer weapons and distance. Cristo is my favorite from DQIV. Poor him and longing for her. He should've fallen for Mara.

To be fair, that's half the point of the Internet, to express one's opinion. My question is why you said this? Obviously eal knew it was his opinion. We all knew it was his opinion. So, what was the point of this? It's like posting "the sky is blue." Yep, we all know.

To be fair, that's half the point of the Internet, to express one's opinion. My question is why you said this? Obviously eal knew it was his opinion. We all knew it was his opinion. So, what was the point of this? It's like posting "the sky is blue." Yep, we all know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck

Never saw The Big Lebowski I guess? It's a joke/reference to that movie.

Eal, I'm afraid you just started a massive shitstorm that will last for months. 

Other than that, 

She's alright.

Never saw The Big Lebowski I guess? It's a joke/reference to that movie.

As much as I absolutely love bowling, sadly no. Sorry about the mini-rant! 😳

I won't allow anyone to trash talk my waifu!

But seriously, I won't claim she has the deepest character ever, but she's fun. I like tough female characters. I like to think it more as simple rather than flat.

Funny enough, I'm not crazy about her in DQH from a gameplay perspective. She's okay, but I find myself playing as Jessica, Bianca and even Kiryl more.

Edited by Choppasmith

That moment when you thought this was hentai...

• Upvote 1

I using her in battle but her personality is nothing special to me.

Jessica and Bianca (SNES/PS2 version anyway) are my fav females in the series.

Maribel gets annoying. But at least in the confines of the game it makes sense. She's a typical country girl who gets herself involved in a journey to a mystical world. And lets be honest here. She reacts about how most girls would react. Especially at that age. Honestly some would be worse about it.

But to her credit at least she matures throughout the game (somewhat) and tries to become braver.

Her constant attitude is the big problem tho. She contantly makes rash comments about the situation and she seems to want to be the center of attention at all times. This doesnt really change much and is her worst trait.

Its also the one that seems to be brought up the most. Not surprising but she did have some layers to her. I just wish that they toned down the attitude abit.

But at least she had a character.

Alena however was really kinda bland. Nothing about her stands out except she is strong and she has a one track mind. Beat down the bad guys. You COULD say she wants to rescue her people but I honestly never saw her complain about that even once. And it doesnt seem to bother her much. She said wants to prover her strength. Thats it.

I find that boring. Being strong and independant is one thing. But give her more layers than that guys. Thats not enough to make a good character.

At least thats how I look at it.

The old DQ (NES) did it right. I don't give a shart about accents just provide a little YE OLD ENGLISH.

The best Waifu is the Female Hero DQ 4. Love that poofy green hair.

The old DQ (NES) did it right. I don't give a shart about accents just provide a little YE OLD ENGLISH.

The best Waifu is the Female Hero DQ 4. Love that poofy green hair.

Wrong. 

Clearly the ogres are the best waifus. Death by snu-snu is the only way to go. 

When did anyone ever make the "Maribel is cool because she's unique," argument?

I do find it interesting Horii's love for redheaded vixens though.

As per Alena, as a character, I've never cared, despite liking a girl much like her, but her gameplay value is indisputable in DQ4.  I've never played DQH to know, but I've heard either love or hate.

I mean I respect her drive, and without her incessant need to exit the castle, she would have been hidden in the mountains of Santeem with her father, unable to escape, and the battle for freedom from the forces in the Dire Palace would be harder fought.

There was a lot of "Maribel is cool because she's unique" going on in the Maribel Sucks topic. Not in the same words but it meant the same.

There was a lot of "Maribel is cool because she's unique" going on in the Maribel Sucks topic. Not in the same words but it meant the same.

You perceived that from my arguments in favour of her?

I never read that into others posts...though if you want to really dumb down the conversation and ignore all the points, sure I suppose you could use the word "unique" as an umbrella, but that's rather disingenuous, don't you think?

You perceived that from my arguments in favour of her?

I never read that into others posts...though if you want to really dumb down the conversation and ignore all the points, sure I suppose you could use the word "unique" as an umbrella, but that's rather disingenuous, don't you think?

No, people were like "she has such a unique personality" which can be perceived as "unique = good." No one can argue that she is a likeable person but because she was different it was good different.

Other than that,

She's alright.

You missed out on the last one: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35106&page=24&do=findComment&comment=478360

First of all, do we REALLY need another shitstorm about some random character that you don't like for certain reasons?

And second of all, she's one of my favorite characters on my top 5 Dragon Quest characters besides Maribel. So yeah, this topic is gonna piss me off. 

Other than that,

She's alright.

You missed out on the last one: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35106&page=24&do=findComment&comment=478360

First of all, do we REALLY need another shitstorm about some random character that you don't like for certain reasons?

Yes.

First of all, her design is hideous. In terms of Toriyama's art style, it's certainly more unique, but unique doesn't mean better. Her hair is ridiculous and impractical, her hat is stupid looking, I hate those kinds of capes (the ones wrapped around the neck instead of hooked to the shoulders), and she wears generic Toriyama Shoes that every Dragon Quest/Ball character wears.

Time to bring this back (he's gotten better, but my point still stands).

• Upvote 1

Alena is far from trash teir. She is best Dragon Quest waifu. Better then all the DQV waifus by a long shot.