Sign in to follow this  
GrandAlchemist

Can't help but wonder...

I just finished DQ1 mobile and the thought crossed my mind... why is it that DQ1 and DQ2 remakes never get bonus content added? No pachisi. No bonus dungeon. No extra sidequests. No new party members. Nothin'! DQ3, DQ4, DQ5, DQ7, and DQ8's remakes all got quite a bit of extra content.

And on that thought, I wonder if a DQ9 remake is in the works; if so, what kind of tweaks will it get? One can only wonder.

I just finished DQ1 mobile and the thought crossed my mind... why is it that DQ1 and DQ2 remakes never get bonus content added? No pachisi. No bonus dungeon. No extra sidequests. No new party members. Nothin'! DQ3, DQ4, DQ5, DQ7, and DQ8's remakes all got quite a bit of extra content.

And on that thought, I wonder if a DQ9 remake is in the works; if so, what kind of tweaks will it get? One can only wonder.

If a DQ9 remake is in the works, then perhaps there would be improved graphics, voice acting, and add in some monsters that didn't make the cut for the original version, like the true Mandrake Marauder, and fix the other one, which is an entirely different monster. Maybe even a similar backstory for King Godwyn, before he murdered Godfrey and began the Gittish Empire, the major villainous antagonist army for the DQIX introduced monsters, like Teeny Sanguinis and Cruelcumbers and unintentionally gain a leader for them and those aforementioned monsters from fallen grace and tortuous experiments, Corvus.

Edited by winky55

I don't know how well DQ1 would handle additional content. That game is such a different structure then the other titles that I don't see much benefit from adding additional content in it.

I don't know how well DQ1 would handle additional content. That game is such a different structure then the other titles that I don't see much benefit from adding additional content in it.

I can see adding in a lot of additional content.  Due to its simplicity, you could add in a few things..

1) Easy dragon baby fight guarding Erdrick's Token.

2) Expand the quest to include an additional item to even enter the castle...which leads to a powerful Blue and Red Dragon.

3) After getting the Rainbow Drop, a soldier from Tantegel makes his way to the shrine to warn about the castle being attacked.  You return to find Dragon's attacking the town, and, depending on whether you rescued the princess or not, Green or Red and Blue Dragons in the castle, alongside the higher level Axe Knights.  Saving the kingdom nets you an actual accessory that's useful and lets you dodge physical attacks 20% of the time.

4) Saying you'll join the Dragonlord actually opens up a special scenario if you wait a bit to read the whole text.  This scenario unlocks a bonus dungeon that leads to special boss battles, you just have to save at the end of the mini-scenario.  Each one is a revamped version of a legacy boss from other DQ's, reworked for this game.  Each boss, when beaten, nets a seed of a particular type at 1/16 drop rate.

5) Beating all of the legacy bosses nets you two special scenes at the end of the game.  One scene is if you agree to join again, only it links directly to Builders.  The other scene showcases bits and pieces of history of your ancestor, but parts of his storyline AFTER Zoma.  Like what happened, where he went, and makes a connection to DQ11.

DQ2 could use a bit of fleshing out as well as extra equipment.  A LOT of extra equipment.  Maybe even a pachisi track.  Give certain extra towns extra incentive to visit by creating a mini-game that leads to unlocking the various tracks around the world.  The mini-game starts in the town you recruit the princess in, but doesn't unlock the first track until after the ship.

Defeating Hargon for the first time nets a special scene where after doing a small scenario, a switch can be flipped that leads to a bonus dungeon.  Inside is a path to Shinryu/Xenlong, the guardian dragon.  If you beat him, you get wishes.  The first wish is for a bonus dungeon to open, but be warned, for in revealing this dungeon, you'll unlock Malroth's full power when he's finally summoned.  The second is for the final pachisi track.  The third is to unlock a special town that contains hidden gems of info on the Erdrick's line, and the fate of the world he/she hailed from.  The fourth wish is repeatable...you get to pick a single seed of your choice.

The bonus dungeon leads to the hidden gems left by Erdrick...like Ortega's Helm, and a power-up for the Erdrick Sword, but to get it, you have to defeat a special form of Zoma.  Then there's a new set of armour for the prince of Cannock, but you have to defeat a special form of Baramos for it, and an actual shield for the princess, but it requires defeating a special form of Zoma.

Edited by ignasia7

I personally would like to see post DQ1 where the hero and princess go exploring and settle the lands of Moonbrooke, Sumaltria/Cannock, and Lorasia/Midenhall.

The princess could be a cleric or sage and you'd get to recruit two more characters for the perilous journey. You now encounter enemy groups instead of single enemies... I mean, at this point the game can really open up and even get DQ5ish. Have your 3 kids and keep on playing until you have established all 3 kingdoms in your empire. I see a lot of room for expansion in DQ1, particularly. I like a lot of your DQ2 ideas, ignasia.

If a DQ9 remake is in the works, then perhaps there would be improved graphics, voice acting, and add in some monsters that didn't make the cut for the original version, like the true Mandrake Marauder, and fix the other one, which is an entirely different monster. Maybe even a similar backstory for King Godwyn, before he murdered Godfrey and began the Gittish Empire, the major villainous antagonist army for the DQIX introduced monsters, like Teeny Sanguinis and Cruelcumbers and unintentionally gain a leader for them and those aforementioned monsters from fallen grace and tortuous experiments, Corvus.

I wouldn't mind a DQ9 remake/port on a main console. It doesn't have to be a full big remake to be sold at full price but something simple and downloadable on the Nintendo Store with some decent graphical boosts. One of my biggest beefs with DQ9 was it was on handheld and I personally tend not to replay handheld games that much. I would love to see a more pristine version of DQ9 in HD graphics even if nothing else in terms of game play changes. Basically just like Nintendo did with Wind Waker!

I know that's not too logical in the game industry so I won't hold my breath.

Sign in to follow this