Sign in to follow this  
FionordeQuester

An error in Ignasia's guide about DQ6 area level caps (Mobile)

I've been trying to grind up vocations in my Mobile playthrough, and found an unpleasant discovery while doing so. It seems that the Mobile version does NOT increase the level caps of every area by 10 (or at least, not any of the ones I tested). Instead, the actual number seems to be 6. My testing wasn't that thorough, but I found that Milly (at LVL 13) lagged behind Nevan (LVL 12) when vocation grinding at Haggleton (cap of 7 in the SNES and DS versions). And I also found that the Hero (LVL 14) got vocation points for every fight he got near Wellshire (cap of 8 in previous versions), but did NOT get job points from near Guardsbane Tower (cap of 7 in previous versions).

I don't know for sure, but I'm starting the think the Mobile designers used 6 as their number, in reference to this being the 6th entry.

My list came from Japanese sites, as I cannot check myself, so that's good to note.

Yeah; it looks like the increase is +6, not +10.  Because the quote here is:

(1) Your level is area level + 10 or less 
  (yourself level in DS version < area level + 5) 

So basically, instead of having to be lower than Area Level + 5, you can be AT the Area Level + 10; so basically 6+ extra levels of leeway.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Yeah; it looks like the increase is +6, not +10.  Because the quote here is:

(1) Your level is area level + 10 or less 

(yourself level in DS version < area level + 5) 

So basically, instead of having to be lower than Area Level + 5, you can be AT the Area Level + 10; so basically 6+ extra levels of leeway.

That second part is a recent addition.  Likely due to testing from people like yourself over in Japan.  Though yes it means I need to update that section.  However it does mean putting in potential ranges as there will be a lot of unknowns.  I haven't found a fully fleshed out list yet, not on any wiki, that reflects this.  Then again, I haven't really checked.  I just haven't had the time.

That's alright.  Personally, I'd just do something like "here's the short version; you can't be any higher than this or that level in these areas", give the long version at some point, and then just have the "Area Level Caps" just be the maximum level that one can be.  So instead of this:

Weaver's Peak (DW): Area Level Cap of 0 (but those up to LVL5 can gain EXP in the SNES/DS versions, and LVL11 in the iOS)

I'd just have something like this:

Weaver's Peak (DW): Area Level Cap of 5 (11 if playing on the iOS)

Makes things easier I think.