Fighting Game discussion

So, I don't think I've seen anyone else do this, but,

Who here enjoys fighting games (Street Fighter, KOF, etc.)? Which games do you own and enjoy the most? Lastly, more importantly, who here would be willing to have matches with their fellow DD residents?

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I don't think I've seen anyone else do this, but,   Who here enjoys fighting games (Street Fighter, KOF, etc.)? Which games do you own and enjoy the most? Lastly, more importantly, who here woul

I just spent my entire weekend playing Tekken 7. Really loving it. Might start going through the story tomorrow.

You know, I never understood how Garou's rating system worked. The Real Bout games had something similar, especially in RBS and RB2, where you need to get S-rank or higher to fight Geese or Alfred.

Ooo, ooo, me! I love me some fighting games. It started with Smash Bros back on the N64, but it wasn't until 2010 that I started following tournaments and the FGC scene thanks to Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

TvsC is my favorite fighting game by far. Other than that, there's Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, KoF XI and XIII (really need to get around to XIV!) with KoF being my favorite fighting game series all around, and some others. Also, I love me some Guilty Gear and Smash Bros.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'm a fan of a select few fighting games. I love Smash Bros., that's the one fighting game I'm actually practiced and consistently good at. I'm best at Smash 4, but I Iike every release. I enjoy Pokkén Tournament, and I pull that out every once in a while. Had a lot of fun playing with Yangus and SlimeVagrant back when Pokkén released, actually!

I've never been able to get into more traditional fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, though. But since I liked Pokkén, maybe I'd like regular Tekken too?

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, I find that and other NetherRealm studio games so god damn confusion to play. I HATE the inputs of their games for moves. Couldn't stomach any matches in Mortal Kombat 9 on PS3 when I played with friends because I couldn't use the likes of quarter circles, half circle, or dragon punch motions for moves compared to Street Fighter, KoF, and the like.

I love fighting games, and used to be very active, but that was a long time ago.

My experience is pretty varied.

The first game I played was Street Fighter II Turbo in the arcades.

I've played the following:

King of Fighters / King of Fighters 2

Street Fighter II / SFII Turbo / SFII Championship Edition

Street Fighter Alpha / SFA II / SFA III

Marvel vs. Capcom / MvC 2

Marvel vs. Tatsunoko

Tekken / Tekken 2 / Tekken Tag Tournament

TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Primal Rage

Killer Instinct / KI II

Mortal Kombat / MK II / MK III / MK Trilogy

Virtua Fighter / VF 2 / VF 3

Samurai Showdown / SS 2

Battle Arena Toshinden

Dead or Alive / DoA 2 / DoA 3

Darkstalkers

Soul Calibur / SC 2 (GC)

Super Smash Bros. / SSB Melee / SSB Brawl

Erghiez

Tobal No.1

There are a few others that I cannot recall, and are in storage atm, or games I've played but don't recall.  A lot of SNK fighters.  There's one that predates Street Fighter where you'd have two guys in wrestling costumes duke it out in a room with a wooden floor and a bunch of people around...looks like a basement area.  One would wear Red shorts, the other Blue.  I don't remember the name.  There are also some Dragon Ball fighters, but I don't recall exactly which ones I've played and/or owned.

Also a lot of beat'em ups.

I prefer 2D fighters with the z input and qcf + punch type inputs the most. I just find it much more satisfying. I dislike 3d arena style fighters (Except for Virtual On).  So I probably wouldn't play Pokken.

I played: 

Various Tekken

Soul Caliber 2/3

Mugen, but the balancing is awful (some people made characters of all the same style my favorite was Choujin's DBZ Fighters)

SF3, SF4, SFxT, and SF5. With Crapcoms recent blunders I've stopped playing SF5 however, just not worth my time.

MvC 2

Various Mortal Kombats

KOF 96 and SvC Chaos

Smash bros up until smash 4.

DBZ Budokai

I'd be willing to play someone but all I have now is SF5 and I haven't touched that in months. The online has to be the worst I've ever had. I got Super Gold/Gold rank with M Bison and just said good enough. Oh wait you can't play unless you have PS+.... Next!

Crapcom has killed my desire to play their newer games. I may try KOF 14(it's graphics I find not very appealing) or Tekken 7. 

I'm a filthy casual but I was pretty good at DBZ Budokai 3. I was also pretty good with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax. I'm usually at my best with brawlers.

As a side note, Persona 4 Arena is a good starter fighting game. It's balanced well for new people yet has a lot of systems to explore for experience players.

I'm a long time fan of the KOF franchise and I also love me some Skullgirls or Virtua Fighter :D

Ooo, ooo, me! I love me some fighting games. It started with Smash Bros back on the N64, but it wasn't until 2010 that I started following tournaments and the FGC scene thanks to Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

TvsC is my favorite fighting game by far. Other than that, there's Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, KoF XI and XIII (really need to get around to XIV!) with KoF being my favorite fighting game series all around, and some others. Also, I love me some Guilty Gear and Smash Bros.

KOFXIV is pretty decent. While I own the game (preordered the collector's edition), I embarrassingly do not own a PS4 yet. However, I did bring it over a friend's place (who had the console) and it was really enjoyable. As for why I got the game first, I've been a KOF fan since its inception back in 94. Since then I've enjoyed most of them (XI and 2k3 never clicked for me).

Aside from KOF, I have 98UM, and 2k2UM on steam. I mean, I have XIII as well, but I'm going to need a better computer before I can even THINK of picking that game up.

I also have 3 of the blazblue games, but like with KOFXIII, can't run it properly on my current cumputer.

Aside from KOF, I do enjoy me some Melty Blood and Smash 4, when the mood hits me.

Edited by Duran

I got into KoF thanks to XIII. I kinda knew about the series before that, but it wasn't until 2012 I really started getting invested in the games. XIII was bought on a whim since I saw Atlus had published it here in the west (which is usually the tell tale sign for me to check the game out) and I spent so much time playing it. Absolutely loved messing around with the color creator for characters and made some really funny ones. My favorites I made are still Ronald McDonald Iori, Finn the Terry Bogard, Wario Raiden, and Pinkie Pie Athena.

After that I picked up the '94-'98 collection on Wii, the steam version of KoFXIII (if only for Mr. Karate!), and KoF XI. I really need to look into the NESTs games at some point, and KoF 2002. I'll get KoFXIV at some point, especially since Geese (mother $#!&ing) Howard was brought back as a playable character.

I REALLY hope Rugal is added as a DLC character if only as fan service. We do have Rock Howard though, so that's a close consolation prize.

Garou and 3rd Strike are my favorites. I also really like the Samurai Shodown games.

KOF2000 is up there, too.

Have GG Xrd Rev2 preordered, and will be getting Tekken 7 at some point.

I got into KoF thanks to XIII. I kinda knew about the series before that, but it wasn't until 2012 I really started getting invested in the games. XIII was bought on a whim since I saw Atlus had published it here in the west (which is usually the tell tale sign for me to check the game out) and I spent so much time playing it. Absolutely loved messing around with the color creator for characters and made some really funny ones. My favorites I made are still Ronald McDonald Iori, Finn the Terry Bogard, Wario Raiden, and Pinkie Pie Athena.

After that I picked up the '94-'98 collection on Wii, the steam version of KoFXIII (if only for Mr. Karate!), and KoF XI. I really need to look into the NESTs games at some point, and KoF 2002. I'll get KoFXIV at some point, especially since Geese (mother $#!&ing) Howard was brought back as a playable character.

I REALLY hope Rugal is added as a DLC character if only as fan service. We do have Rock Howard though, so that's a close consolation prize.

Well they already announced all of the DLC characters, so any chances of getting Rugal back are slim to none. My only real gripe with Rock coming back is that they didn't remix his old theme from Garou, like they did with the others.

Wait, they already said they aren't planning anymore DLC characters after Whip, Vanessa, Yamazaki, and Rock released earlier this month?

Fighting games are fun. I'b be willing to play against any of my fellow Denizens.

PS3 - GrandAlchemistX

Tekken 6

Tekken Tag 2

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Guilty Gear XX Λ Core Plus​

Soul Calibur 4

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Super Street Fighter 4

I really wish the Capcom Vs SNK 2 classic had online added...

I also have Sm4sh for Wii U and 3DS

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Wait, they already said they aren't planning anymore DLC characters after Whip, Vanessa, Yamazaki, and Rock released earlier this month?

Aside from the releases, there's no news on any more potential dlc characters.

If you have PlayStation Plus, be sure to check out the demo for Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2. It was available starting yesterday and will be up until the full game launches.

I played some of the demo and it really made me realize how much I miss playing Guilty Gear. The demo offers access to every playable character in the Xrd series so far, though game modes are limited to Versus. Still, i had fun messing around with the new characters and playing as my old favorites (Potemkin and Faust for life, man).

It seems like the majority of us have and play Smash 4. I honestly wouldnt mind playing a few rounds, though I'm super rusty and will probably get my ass kicked.

I spent a good bit of this afternoon playing Blazblue Central Fiction. Picked it up on the cheap thanks to the current PSN sale, and it was a lot of fun to play. It's over the top combat and speed is why I really enjoy Arc System fighters....but geez this game is really Japanese, way more than Guilty Gear. The breasts on some of these ladies, let alone their outfits, are ridiculous. I only recognize 12 of the fighters too since the only other game I played from this series was Calamity Trigger, but from messing around in Arcade mode as Ragna the other characters look like fun to play too.

I'm sure I'll end up playing as Ragna a lot. I seem to click with the main character here and in Guilty Gear. If Sol Badguy and Ragna the Bloodedge ever ended up in the same game, it be hard for me to choose one over the other!

First post on this topic. I was really into Street Fighter 3 Third Strike a few years ago, and I've always been a passionate player of Smash Bros. I always liked playing as Marth, I just always though it was fun controlling to battle with spacing and it always looks really cool when you spike with him. Also played Falco a lot, it's always so hype pulling off a combo with him.

@Duran:If you still want to play Smash 4, I'd be down for it.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Third Strike is my favorite Street Fighter by far. People hate on that game for its cast but I think it has a good set of characters. Q became my favorite in the cast right away, and one of my favorite SF characters.

If Capcom ever adds Q to SFV I'll be happy. They are on the right track by bringing back Alex, another one of my favorites, so bring back Q.

Third Strike is my favorite Street Fighter by far. People hate on that game for its cast but I think it has a good set of characters. Q became my favorite in the cast right away, and one of my favorite SF characters.

If Capcom ever adds Q to SFV I'll be happy. They are on the right track by bringing back Alex, another one of my favorites, so bring back Q.

I've never heard anyone talk $#!& about Third Strike. Literary every opinion I've heard in the fighting game community is positive about it.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but I would be down for some Smash 4 matches too. I have Dragovian's info, so if anyone else wants to do any matches sometime send me a PM.

I've never heard anyone talk $#!& about Third Strike. Literary every opinion I've heard in the fighting game community is positive about it.
People weren't fans of the change in cast or the new mechanics. The hate isn't quite as strong as it was when Third Strike and SF3 was the current SF game, but I've heard enough people tell stories how SF3 split the community for awhile back in the day. Nowadays people seem to have moved on from calling out the cast and many embrace the parry system, but you can still find those who don't like it.

Mike Ross springs to mind on those in the FGC who don't like it, as in one of his Excellent Adventures videos with Gootecks (and I think Maximilian Dood was in the episode too) he talked about how he wasn't a fan of Third Strike at all, whereas Max and Gootecks fondly remember the game and embraced it's differences back in the day.

From my perspective, I can understand why people wouldn't be into it, especially back when it would have first been out. The gameplay, while the typical Street Fighter style, is a bit harder to follow since the game encourages offensive tactics. A smart player could learn the parry system and do well with any character, as a Japanese player called Kuroda was known for his high level Q play. His gameplay completions in YouTube got me interested in playing Q, and even though I suck at using the parry system it's really satisfying when I can pull it off.

Age has helped the game escape the "It's not Street Fighter 2," shadow though, so more people speak positivity about the game. Which is good, because Third Strike is a great game.

People weren't fans of the change in cast or the new mechanics. The hate isn't quite as strong as it was when Third Strike and SF3 was the current SF game, but I've heard enough people tell stories how SF3 split the community for awhile back in the day. Nowadays people seem to have moved on from calling out the cast and many embrace the parry system, but you can still find those who don't like it.

Mike Ross springs to mind on those in the FGC who don't like it, as in one of his Excellent Adventures videos with Gootecks (and I think Maximilian Dood was in the episode too) he talked about how he wasn't a fan of Third Strike at all, whereas Max and Gootecks fondly remember the game and embraced it's differences back in the day.

From my perspective, I can understand why people wouldn't be into it, especially back when it would have first been out. The gameplay, while the typical Street Fighter style, is a bit harder to follow since the game encourages offensive tactics. A smart player could learn the parry system and do well with any character, as a Japanese player called Kuroda was known for his high level Q play. His gameplay completions in YouTube got me interested in playing Q, and even though I suck at using the parry system it's really satisfying when I can pull it off.

Age has helped the game escape the "It's not Street Fighter 2," shadow though, so more people speak positivity about the game. Which is good, because Third Strike is a great game.

I'm simply an outsider of the fighting game community, so the only opinions I hear are from people that can look back on it years later and can reflect on why they loved it. I wasn't observing the fighting game community then (still don't) so I don't know what the consensus then was, only what people think about it now, so with the context that people hated the changes then, I can see how what I hear and what you hear are different. Change inherently frightens people when it's happening, but they can often look back at those changes more positively after the initial storm of controversy. Edited by eal

You know what's as good as Third Strike? Garou. SNK's Third Strike imo.

Another game I have a big soft spot for that went under the radar (relatively speaking), Neo Geo Battle Colosseum. Awesome game.