Sign in to follow this  
Cranberry

Anyone Up For Bug Testing?

I've been working on a Dragon Quest X fan-made game.  It's an RPG-Maker birthed "What if" side story.  The premise of the game's story line is "What if the main character lost the final battle of Version 1?"  The game harkens back to my offline only days where the sibling was for me at the time, my main adventure with DQX.

The game features a 2D re-imagining of the Dragon Quest X world and a new original story, though many characters from the game make appearances.

The game is still in the earlier stages of development, but I have a playable demo that incorporates the currently available maps, and I have typically been updating the demo with new content weekly.

I've reached a point now where I am in need of bug testers to help with identifying bugs.

Is anyone here interested in testing the game and reporting bugs?

Link to current build:

Bug Testing template:

Location of Bug:

Describe where you are when you encounter the bug.

Examples:  Narubia Church, Equipment Menu, In Combat, etc.

Description of Bug:

Describe what the bug is.

Examples:  Typographical error in a message box, walking through walls you shouldn't be able to walk through, etc.

Screen Capture:

If possible, provide a screen capture of the issue.

Suggestions can also be made on quality improvements or design decisions.  Suggestions may or may not be implemented depending on a number of factors.

**Special thanks to Matt for providing many of the sprite assets that appear in the game.

Edited by Cranberry
  • Upvote 1

I'd be willing to if you in turn play test my fangame game.

What style does it have (graphically) and engine does it utilize? If you don't mind telling.

Sorry, I do not have the time to become a bug tester for someone elses project.

Its attempting to mimic the Dragon Quest style as much as possible.  It's made in RPG Maker.

Do you have any screens of it?

Also 

What build of RPG Maker is it? 

Edited by slimeborgi

RPG Maker MV.

I have some screen captures but not on the computer I'm currently typing this message from.  I'll have to provide some later.

Count me in.

Thanks.  I'll provide details on how to access it shortly.  Stay tuned to this topic for more information soon.

Here is the current game on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwDrROZNEQ-TQ25tXzE1WWxwWnM?usp=sharing

Bug Testing template:

Location of Bug:
Describe where you are when you encounter the bug.
Examples:  Narubia Church, Equipment Menu, In Combat, etc.

Description of Bug:
Describe what the bug is.
Examples:  Typographical error in a message box, walking through walls you shouldn't be able to walk through, etc.

Screen Capture:
If possible, provide a screen capture of the issue.

Suggestions can also be made on quality improvements or design decisions.  Suggestions may or may not be implemented depending on a number of factors.
Edited by Cranberry

Suggestion:

Graphics, mapping, and monsters/Battles. 

Graphics : a mix match mesh of a  few DQ7 sprites and the standard rpg maker tilesets/sprites. The standard RPG maker tiles clash hard with the DQ 7 sprites. I assume you are working to change this? One other thing Cranberry's face is blurry.

There are places you can find DQ tilesets/chara sets online you just have to look for them.

Mapping: Some areas seem empty for no reason. Huge rooms with like two accessories in the corner is unnecessary. I personally find the standard rpg tilesets to be bland? Boring? Overdone? They just don't look good to me.

Monsters and battles: I haven't worked with MV but maybe edit the battle menu(and the standard) menu to look DQ like? The enemies being pictures instead of sprites is fine, I'd personally reduce their size to allow for more on screen.

Oh I should add, for suggestions, it is okay to "echo" a suggestion that someone has made previously.  So for example, if others also wish for a suggestion such as something Slimeborgi indicated, you can echo that.  That can help me get an idea of how desirable a suggestion may be.

"Graphics : a mix match mesh of a  few DQ7 sprites and the standard rpg maker tilesets/sprites. The standard RPG maker tiles clash hard with the DQ 7 sprites. I assume you are working to change this? One other thing Cranberry's face is blurry."

I'll field some of the graphics questions, since I'm working on that part.

I'm not sure about the tiles, but the sprites are being slowly replaced with each build, since I only recently finished parsing and assembling spritesheets for her from a DQ4 DS spritesheet I found into the RPG Maker standard.

Cranberry's face comes from the official DQX one ( http://faceicon.dqx.jp/icon3/1022/10227/102270/1022703/1022703761220.png), enlarged the best way I could figure out how (I used a tool called ON1 Resize).  If you have any advice on making it clearer, I'd welcome it.

Edited by MKVarana

A few ideas:

Various resizes of the official one could be tested; even if they are a little small.  It might be more desirable to go small than go blurry.  May be worth looking at.

Another possibility is original artwork.  I really lack the artistic talent to do it, but some den members are pretty capable artistically.  Would anyone be interested in attempting a portrait for us?

A few ideas:

Various resizes of the official one could be tested; even if they are a little small.  It might be more desirable to go small than go blurry.  May be worth looking at.

Another possibility is original artwork.  I really lack the artistic talent to do it, but some den members are pretty capable artistically.  Would anyone be interested in attempting a portrait for us?

What resolution does RPG maker take? I can play around with the resizing but i'm no expert.

Here is the image resized 2x:

248bb856e4.png   44e0ca453c.png

The one on the left has a lot of noise, and the one on the right has less, but loses a lot of detail in the process.

"Graphics : a mix match mesh of a  few DQ7 sprites and the standard rpg maker tilesets/sprites. The standard RPG maker tiles clash hard with the DQ 7 sprites. I assume you are working to change this? One other thing Cranberry's face is blurry."

I'll field some of the graphics questions, since I'm working on that part.

I'm not sure about the tiles, but the sprites are being slowly replaced with each build, since I only recently finished parsing and assembling spritesheets for her from a DQ4 DS spritesheet I found into the RPG Maker standard.

Cranberry's face comes from the official DQX one ( http://faceicon.dqx.jp/icon3/1022/10227/102270/1022703/1022703761220.png), enlarged the best way I could figure out how (I used a tool called ON1 Resize).  If you have any advice on making it clearer, I'd welcome it.

You could have luck checking out the spriters resource to make sprite sheets (they have all the player characters and Npc for DQ4 DS).

They also have tilesets for various RPG games you'd just have to configure them accordingly.

A few ideas:

What resolution does RPG maker take? I can play around with the resizing but i'm no expert.

Here is the image resized 2x:

248bb856e4.png   44e0ca453c.png

The one on the left has a lot of noise, and the one on the right has less, but loses a lot of detail in the process.

Here's the headshots template with the heads I've resized to the RPG Maker standard:

headshots

It may be a bit too late, but if MV has the same graphics standards as VX/Ace, I can send some character sets and tilesets.

Haven't tried the game at all yet, just saw this.

It may be a bit too late, but if MV has the same graphics standards as VX/Ace, I can send some character sets and tilesets.

We're still pretty early into the game, so they'd be worth looking at, if nothing else.

The game has been updated with content updates and bug fixes.

The new build is now on Google Drive.

Please start the game over from the beginning.  Quite a few changes have been made and previous save files will not operate correctly.

A new build has been put up.  But is anyone interested in doing any bug testing?

Unfortunately, no. MV uses larger sizes for their graphics. Unless you resize your sprites it would look tiny in MV. Directly scaling up can work, although it would look a bit distorted due to MV's characters looking.... well, different. Although I suppose it won't really matter if you don't use regular sprites I.

For comparison sake, a single character sprite, a 3x4 single sprite, in VX/Ace is 96x128 pixels, for MV it's 144x192.

I noticed the game is in MV, just for that it somewhat interests me, so I'll give it a go. Might not really yield results soon, but I'll see how it goes.

EDIT:

Not sure if it's intended, but I managed to walk up the cliff. Walked from the marked path, through that purple flower. Also through the orange one. Also from that upper cliff, from the top side.

TUyHUdL.png

EDIT 2:

Don't mean to nitpick, but this happened. Also, yeah, managed to walk over the cliff from that flower side.

x6Hr8Xm.png

Edited by Hartfield

Nitpick away. :) I try to give her a thorough list of any bug I find as well.

Fun fact about the sprites: I have yet to encounter a size limit (the kite string in Seredo is a sprite, for example), as long as the 3x4 grid is accounted for.

Thank you for the reports.  One quick question Hartfield.  When did you download the build you are currently playing?

I want to verify if you're on the latest build or an earlier one.

Starting with the next build I upload, I'm going to add an NPC to Etene that will tell you which build version you are on to aid with debugging.

Edited by Cranberry