Mefista

DQ theories and headcanons+obscure trivia

I put Jambalayan's flavor text through http://www.systranet.com/translate/and https://fanyi.baidu.com/, which had varying translations of, "In order to become outstanding to discard the evil spirit farm building to arrive at evil spirit of ground. Has will have the glory to return to the dream of hometown one day." and "Abandon the Makai inaka rise head and shoulders above others came to the ground in order to monster. The dream of returning home someday with glory."

So it really sounds like he was some farmboy demon who left home to become a real dancing star in demon world and wants to return home in glory one day.

EDIT: More Chinese online translators.

Edited by JaybirdC

Thanks, man ^^

And if this translation interpretation is right, that's hella adorable <3

Is there a page for Joker 3 with descriptions? I am trying to find one, but I have not found one yet.

The second one has the stats, the methods for breeding, location, abilities, skillsets, its mother's address, but not its flavor text :(

That's cause sites like these are made by goddamn competitive battlers.These never appreciate the world flavor >< I mean, as far as I've seen, that site has no monster pics to begin with! Only endless text and numbers...

• Upvote 1

That's cause sites like these are made by goddamn competitive battlers.These never appreciate the world flavor >< I mean, as far as I've seen, that site has no monster pics to begin with! Only endless text and numbers...

I am probably a nightmare to competitive players, considering I actually really like Rigor Mortex and Zenith Dragon (Though I don't have Rigor yet, might just make him in the Joker 3 release and give up making with him in Joker 2 and settle with Zenith, Gem Slime is too hard to make).

These never appreciate the world flavor.

In fairness, Dragon Quest itself has always been iffy on worldbuilding and flavor (there was next to no flavor text in a mainline DQ game until VIII); this thread is in no small part an attempt to fix that. (It irks me, for example, that one of the bigger cosmic problems of IX goes decidedly unresolved even if you obtain 100% completion).

Edited by JaybirdC
  • Upvote 1

These never appreciate the world flavor.

In fairness, Dragon Quest itself has always been iffy on worldbuilding and flavor (there was next to no flavor text in a mainline DQ game until VIII); this thread is in no small part an attempt to fix that. (It irks me, for example, that one of the bigger cosmic problems of IX goes decidedly unresolved even if you obtain 100% completion).

What problem is that?

The creator deity remains in absentia even at 100% completion.

oh yeah

That is a big cosmological problem for really only IX, but it does not really a problem for The Goddess and Celestria is now kind of the supreme being of that universe I assumed

I am probably a nightmare to competitive players, considering I actually really like Rigor Mortex and Zenith Dragon (Though I don't have Rigor yet, might just make him in the Joker 3 release and give up making with him in Joker 2 and settle with Zenith, Gem Slime is too hard to make).

What is the problem with them,are they weak?

I only played first two DQM games, and, while I choose monsters by looks (with the sole exception of replacing Rainhawk with an Azurille cause of latter's immunity to lots of things - they are both cool-looking, but I liked 'hawk more), I always breed them till they are lv99 with maxed-out stats and decent ability set.

In pokemon tho,I barely ever breed anything and do not care about all the EV/IV/natures doodad.I just grab what I like, hence me having atleast 6 Raichus across my saves.

Zenith and Leonyx are described as "Swingy" I don't know what that means, but I assume it means you don't feel grounded and in control of them, and they are left to the mercy of RNG, not exactly a good thing.

Rigor is just a statistical mess, he is underpowered and slow as heck. He has cool moves and looks awesome though. I want to get Joker 3 so I could actually have a reason to make Rigor, as Joker 2 is literally just plain boring to play now.

Ah,understood)

As far as I know, breeding system is no longer as good/flexible as in first two games,yes?Besides the "fusion" instead of breeding thing,I mean.

Ah,understood)

As far as I know, breeding system is no longer as good/flexible as in first two games,yes?Besides the "fusion" instead of breeding thing,I mean.

Actually its more flexible and complex, as it does not depend on the gender of one specific monster as long as you add two monsters stated in the recipe. However it feels more "Shallow", especially so in DQMJ2

What do you mean,shallow?

And does it still allow you to give any stats and any skills to any monster?

What do you mean,shallow?

And does it still allow you to give any stats and any skills to any monster?

There is less lore put into it, less mystery or wonder. You just add monsters mindlessly, usually strange combinations, and YOU have to do this unlike the Monsters Games. Catching monsters is now soley for ingrediants, as there are no good tier monsters to usually find in the wild. It just feels more tedious, oh and the absolute ease of gaining levels makes you abuse it more.

You have to choose skillsets, you cannot cherrypick what abilities you want.

Some of the combinations also just make no bleeping sense.

Somehow Trode > Nokturnus, Rhapthorne, Estark, Mortamor, Nimzo, and Psaro going by the synthesis recipe

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Ah,I see.

Well,that sucks.I have a right to teach my AxeShark Transform (I did it in my first DWM2 save) and my male Hacksaurus Pheromone (second DWM2 save),dammit!

Do the remakes of first two DQM games have the "only preset skillsets" problem,too?

Ah,I see.

Well,that sucks.I have a right to teach my AxeShark Transform (I did it in my first DWM2 save) and my male Hacksaurus Pheromone (second DWM2 save),dammit!

Do the remakes of first two DQM games have the "only preset skillsets" problem,too?

Yes, but much more love and effort were put into refining Synthesizing in the remakes, and it looks much less limited and more fun and satisfying.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Meh,not playing these,then.

Meh,not playing these,then.

Its still worth it, considering you can upsize monsters you want to have more skillsets and abilities, you can recolor monsters, and it has some of the coolest designs ever.

None of these things interest me.Also,I am in general not a fan of 3D-modeled environment (that's why I am bitter Pokemon dropped sprites), and even games I do tolerate I'd prefer being pixel-based.

So according to DQM2, the Green Dragon is the oldest species of Dragon.

This actually makes sense, and also the source of glee for me (reasons unrelated to DQ per se) ^^

Huh, sounds like the Coelacanth of the species, then. Green Dragon was the first dragon boss.