Mefista

DQ theories and headcanons+obscure trivia

The first part is what we make the second and third parts out of!

Yeah

I have a theory that Nadiria actually is Nokturnus's realm from Dragon Quest VI abandoned to Estark, whom he warped from a trippy realm of memories to straight up hell to rule in.

JaybirdC

Yes, Madaseghora'd make a better boss.Even though, just like Nelgel, he is very derivative design-wise.

Shun 'Kanamee

All the "extragalactic" stuff doesn't belong in fantasy universes.You have worlds, not planets here, so no aliens and crap like that.

I've sent Woodus a message asking to rename the thread.I guess once he gets to it,we'd get the rename^^

I like "Madaseghora" better; "ghora" is the Hindi word for terror.

All the "extragalactic" stuff doesn't belong in fantasy universes.You have worlds, not planets here, so no aliens and crap like that.

I've sent Woodus a message asking to rename the thread.I guess once he gets to it,we'd get the rename^^

Well Dragon Quest IX flirted with the idea of other planets and stars

I think it helps actually, it makes it clear these worlds are universes and they are not mere pocket realities, but full fledged universes. Makes the scale and stakes larger knowing that beings like Psaro and Mortamor are a threat to beings not just on earth but on other planets.

But yeah, knowing what several of the Mangas say, or what Dragon Quest Monsters says, might help more with the cosmology theories.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

@Mefista

You know you can rename the thread by editing the first post on clicking on Use Full Editor.

• Upvote 1

One theory I just came up with is that at the end of Dragon Quest VI, Zenithia somehow resurfaced from the Dream World to the Real World, but as a pocket realm still based off the Dream World (It did not become a real world self in other words). This was done by God/The Goddess, which the sages El Haven (I forget the American names) were talking about when they mean the Goddess divided the universe into 3 realms.

JaybirdC

The 'd is part of "would") I can't read japanese XD

Neat^^

Also, here are pictures of two demons of my multiverse,cause why not?

This one's ancient (upload is from 2009, but I drew it way earlier), and face is heavily referenced from the devil that was on older cans of "Red devil" energy drink (I do not drink it)

diturimegis_illusionaldemon_by_truemefisHis name is Diturimegis.

And this was a 2006 pic I updated in 2012.This one has no actual name and is known as just Guard of Hellgates.He also can't speak and only roars and howls.

guard_of_hellgates_by_truemefista-d4vitp

Pentagram's not of inverted sort cause of specifics of my multiverse)

Shun 'Kanamee

Meh.Aliens don't belong in fantasy,period.I can understand people colonising other planets, or something like elementals living there.But not aliens*.

*Please note that I am in no way opposed to aliens as idea and actually like sci-fi quite a lot.

TheKingOfTheDragovians

Thanks for telling me ^^

Edited by Mefista

Aliens don't belong in fantasy,period.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. You'd have to shed a lot of the scientific trappings, but there's an entire genre called "Sword-and-planet", which is sword and sorcery on other worlds. John Carter of Mars is a good example.

Does Dragon Quest VII have a bestiary? If so, does it have descriptions for monsters?

Because I found this statement for Billhaw, and want to see what it says  for Woebergine

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/8/83/Img_4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170623035140

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/b/b0/C0f4475a.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170623035153

時空を超ãˆã¦ç¾ã‚Œã‚‹ãŠãžã¾ã—ã„ä¼èª¬ã®é­”人。マヒャデドスを唱ãˆã™ã¹ã¦ã‚’å‡ã¦ã¤ã‹ã›ã‚“ã¨ã™ã‚‹ã€‚ 

• A revolting demon of legend who appears beyond space-time. Chants Kacrackle that attempts to freeze all.

時空ã®æ¸¦ã«ã®ã¾ã‚ŒãŸãƒŠã‚¹ãƒ“ナーラãŒè¦šé†’ã—セルゲイナスã¸ã¨é€²åŒ–ã™ã‚‹ã€‚ãã‚“ãªæ–°èª¬ã‚‚ã‚ã‚‹ã¨ã‹ã€‚

• There is such a theory that a Woebergine caught in the vortex of spacetime awakened to evolution into Bilhaw.

Aliens don't belong in fantasy,period.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. You'd have to shed a lot of the scientific trappings, but there's an entire genre called "Sword-and-planet", which is sword and sorcery on other worlds. John Carter of Mars is a good example.

I love John Carter a whole lot (although I have read only like 5 books so far), but if it wasn't Mars, but Earth of another dimension, literally nothing would change, but it would be just your standart forte fantasy.So this genre doesn't really count :P

I tend to have inverse stuff in my world - otherworldly Earthes that, were they inserted in sci-fi setting,would work like aien planets just fine.A good example is the world of membrane creatures (haven't written about it for a while, so forgot its name).

For the Billhaw = Warped Woeberginie theory (Which is just... weird), it could explain their appearance in Estark's dungeon in Dragon Quest V. We know he exists beyond space and time, and that this same thing applies for Billhaw. When the cast goes into his dungeon, they say they feel overwhelmed and weird, this could be from the very nature of the dungeon, existing as a place void of time and space or even beyond it.

DQVII was where the Big Book of Beasts first originated, but none of the Big Books include flavor text.

Also, Woebergine mutates into Bilhaw? The centaur-demon used to be an eggplant? I love this series.

That is some Digimon-evolution, right there.

I love John Carter a whole lot (although I have read only like 5 books so far), but if it wasn't Mars, but Earth of another dimension, literally nothing would change, but it would be just your standart forte fantasy.So this genre doesn't really count :P

Nonsense, of course it counts. If you mean the trappings of science fiction don't belong in straight fantasy, then fine; but you could totally have creatures from other worlds there, so I'm perfectly willing to say aliens can be involved.

Personally, I'd be fine with setting the quest in something closer to gaslamp fantasy. I mean, Dragon Quest has trains now, and it's had Killing Machines since II.

Edited by JaybirdC
  • Upvote 1

I second the digimon remark)

As for second,I'd rather stop arguing with you on that,since we'll never come to agreement)

Btw,what do you think about pics I posted few posts ago?

Edited by Mefista

Of course, sorry to seem contentious; I gotta work on that.

The first one's got a good face, and I like the cape, but I like the second one's whole design much more.

Edited by JaybirdC

You aren't contentious at all, it's just that I am stubborn as hell)

Ah,I see.Well,first one's face and cape are referenced (very heavily) from this

Red_Devil_Tin.jpg

So it's not surprising they look good)

And thanks for liking the second one) I think he's rather over-the-top myself XD

Does the Goddess of Light in Dragon Quest Heroes = The Goddess from Dragon Quest IV/V/VI/VIII?

I was going to say yes originally until I realized they set her up in a system of balance with the dark dragon, so now I'm guessing no, she's just a local entity, like the Almighty.

On the other hand, Heroes is also a Crisis Crossover, getting a multiverse involved, so she might just be more important than a local issue. Kiryl's dialog suggests they are identical.

Red Devil Can

Oh, cool. Actually, I kind of like the effect; the can is going for a chiaroscuro style, but without the lighting, the shadows look like facial markings, and I think they look cool on the first one.

The second one has an "inhuman sorcerer" aesthetic that I like, kind of like Rhapthorne without being ridiculous. (Rhapthorne's final form is a good design... but in the context of VIII he's so damn eclectic it's obnoxious).

Edited by JaybirdC

I think that Goddesses are just avatars of one bigger deity)

Thankies)

Oh,I like it that someone gets what I was aiming for!I also wanted for him to look like he belongs in one of these 90s cartoons like "Dungeons and Dragons" one.

Rhapthorne,in my opinion,looks silly.His baby form looks promising, and then he just becomes fat XD

There's a set of a few DQ bosses as dragons here, I think he would be way cooler looking like this (reipload cause site won't allow direct link):

d_rapssone_by_truemefista-dbfkxx4.jpg

The Drhapthorne looks cooler, yes, but the absolute coolest are Droulmagus and Mildragon.

I don't think the artist was going for it, but some of the dragons have great expressions; Psargon looks like he walked in on something nasty, and Zomagon's just mad nobody likes his style.

I want to like Rhapthorne, he's a good creepy thing, but he keeps jumping from design idea to design idea. At first he's some kind of werewolf-demon, transforming his hosts into weird blue-skinned things, but then he emerges and the little firefly has nothing to do with anything and the planetary fatso has even less (heck, he might even be more appropriate in IX where you could include him with the cosmic motif of the Celestrians).

Edited by JaybirdC

Yes,they're cool,too)

Lol :)

I wholly agree with you on this.I was forever mad that he is not actually a werewolf demon.

Also, "planetary fatso" had me in tears XD

The 3DS version even plays up the weredemon bit by identifying the winged statue in the Dark Ruins as an effigy of his prior incarnation, which makes it an even more obnoxious thing that we never see it live. Planet-thorne has horns and a goatee, whoopee.

Could you show me a screenshot,please?I haven't played, so I have only seen stuff on youtube, and haven't seen this one somehow.

Whoopee XD

Oh, well, the identification bit is from Cameron's Codex, a 3DS sidequest that basically amounts to a photo safari. One of the pictures is supposed to be of the statue in the entrance of the ruins, and the mission description indicates it to be an effigy of the Lord of Darkness. I haven't found a very clear screenshot but Artificialraven has a video where you can see it (the clearest shots I've seen of it are at 0:!8 and 1:58, and the camera gets a slightly closer detail at about 2:24).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-pmi9edzw

Ah,I see.Thanks ^^

Wonder if it's possible to rip models from the game to get a proper look.

The statue itself is nearly identical to Dhoulmagus transformed, but with a different head. That would be a great place to start.