Sign in to follow this  
Mefista

DQ theories and headcanons+obscure trivia

I know it's not what you want, I'm just funnin'. Even fogies like me are allowed to joke from time to time.

Edited by JaybirdC

Understood)

Also, this is not a theory, but I've had a dream about a DQM/Pokemon crossover some time ago, I only remember some conceptual things, but they were interesting.Is anyone interested in hearing about it? It's safe for work)

Understood)

Also, this is not a theory, but I've had a dream about a DQM/Pokemon crossover some time ago, I only remember some conceptual things, but they were interesting.Is anyone interested in hearing about it? It's safe for work)

Yeah, I would like to hear it.

• Upvote 1

Sweet^^ It's private-message-copypasting-time,then!

It starts meh, also there's prob some stuff that doesn't make much sense, since it was a dream.Also of note that my preference for any monster barely affected them (so few faves ended being not very cool)

on one point,worlds amalgamated and recombined weirdly (Orgodemir got stuck in the Distortion world),and there was a tamer named Rori, who was fusion of Red and Terry 0_o his main monster was dhuran-raichu fision, who actually controlled him

also, on one point, dq monsters became pokemon and vice versa; let's just say that dq-fied Alakazam is GROTESQUE, and poke-Orgodemir and Dracolord are absolute cuties (Orgo had eyelashes that were good seven inches long),even tho Draco looks permanently pissed in his anthropomorphic form
Orgo and Dracolord changed forms as pokemon (Orgo's beautiful one was called Desire Forme, Draco's dragon one - Rage Forme).Dracolord's pokemon name was Draestor.Dhuran was Noblior, Zoma - Sacrill and regular slime was Jevolly and evolved into a lot of other slines, all were Je-somethings.
You wouldn't believe how evil Eeveelutions looked as dq monsters.They were  weird sphinx-like thingies (faces fur-covered, but humane enough to be unsettling - and umbreon's was undead-looking) with wicked smiles.They were called "aevs" - Lesser aev (eevee), Flame aev, Psycho aev, sylveon was Fae aev.Pichu line was called Spark rat,Discharge rat and Axe rat.

Btw,what I didn't tell you about my pokemon/dq dream (I was sleepy and plain forgot) is that not only dq and pocket monsters swapped styles - they also ended in setting-appropriate positions (they didn't become direct replacements, but approximations), sometimes weirdly so.
Humans and inhumans that aren't monsters or bosses weren't affected by this,btw,they also acted as if everything was always like that (in-game,you shifted between worlds at this point).
On the top of my mind:
Pokemon side (pokefied dq monsters):
- Dracolord and Hargon (who had alternate forme based on Malroth) were an ever-fighting legendary duo, if memory serves, representing fire and ice?
- Starters were that one petite yellow dragon, sanguini and sabercat
- Orgodemir was a part of a legendary trio with Estark and Zoma, and notably, not only wasn't evil (out of three, only Zoma was more or less malevolent), but was said to represent the concept of "inner beauty" (don't ask me what other two stood for - I do not remember).You were tasked with a quest to bring him a magical orb so he'll change into his pretty forme.
- Creature based on Picky evolved into Phoenix,Blizzardy and Zapbird (all three were notably different, with Zapbird resembling its older dragon-bodied design)
- A lot of mechanic creatures were in a Gym
- Goopie was Ditto-esque (in properties)
- Hipsters became akin to Machamp line anthropomorphism-level-wise, and in the dex it was said that cause they are both strong and attractive, they are often used in contests
Other side (sadly, I mostly remember legendaries):
- Aevs (eeveelutions) were of diffirent families, but were all called "demons" in their description (Sylveon one was noted to be lustfull, and said to "charm its prey with a crooning song").And Jolteon one was mechanic and called Charge Aev
- Arceus ended in Nokturnus's position (was named White Drium)
- Basically, every single legendary except for slime-like Celebi became either a humanoid boss or a dragon, barring those who ended as lesser monsters (such as legendary beasts, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde and few others)
- Lugia and Ho-oh became one being, Luhofer, who occupied Orgodemir's position (a cadaverous sea dragon disguising himself as a gorgeous red-skinned and golden-haired demon in colorful feathery garb)
- Legendary beasts (dogs) were anthro demons (Raikou female, very neko-like, other two male, with Suicune being grotesquely thin, with nails that were like seven inches long, and Entei grossly muscular) and served Luhofer
- Machamp and his prevos were "drakemen" - Drakeboy, Drakebuddy and Drakeboss
- Mewtwo was cyber monster, whose bestiary said that it was a reshaped into semblance of legendary fairy Mei (judging by remains of its original form, it was a demon)
- Genesect was said to be an ex-human changed by that thingie Psaro used in canon
- Dragonite looked even dumber than it looks by itself.It was obese, and with puny wings.Was called Powerdragon.Good stats.
- Gengar was a human torso jumping around on its arms
- Blaziken became Hipster-like and was called Firecock

some of the dq-fied pokemon either look evil or are evil, like legendary beasts (especially Suicune, who was positively vile, promising to skin hero alive, among other things, and also blind - he only was able to see thanks to a magical diamond Luhofer gave him, which he wore on his head, over the horns, and defeating him involved stealing it first).

Although Suicune actually doesn't give a rat's ass about him [White Drium], Entei and Raikou (who are Suicune's siblings here) or even Luhofer himself (and Luhofer is well aware of it, he just considers it beneath him, to punish such a good servant simply for innate disrespect of any authority). He only cares about being free to do whatever he wants, and he wants to run with the wind and kill everything that tries to stand in his path (or looks tasty enough).
Unlike him, Entei is blindly obedient and sorta dumb.He wants stability.
Raikou tries to manipulate her younger brothers and just everyone (even Luhofer, whom it amuses).She wants control.

I've had a dream <...> that Squeenix hired me to work on that DQ/Pokemon crossover, and they, among other things, made me design pokemon adaptations of Incarnus ><

Also, dqfied pokemon do not get rampant three-eyeness, it remains the other side's trait)

I'll def draw what I remember once I get inspiration.I already tried to draw one of the Aevs (dqfied eeveelutions), but photoshop decided to freeze with a white screen (as in, huge white square over most of the canvas and panels), so I wasn't even able to salvage anything through screenshotting ><

That is an interesting dream, I am surprised you remember so much of it and can remember details. For me, dreams always yield strange results, whenever I have dreams, it warps my perception on what is there. So I call Zoma Dhuran for some reason for example.

The only dreams I have had from Dragon Quest, ironically, were of traversing the Dragon Quest VI world.

Man, and I'm proud of myself for remembering that one dream where the ghost of Wile E. Coyote ran after me to a haunted mansion filled with dancing penguins.

And Celebi slime sounds adorable.

I have a theory that Estark is in fact immortal, maybe because his effects with evolution were so prolonged for several tens of thousands of years, but that is why he can appear in so many games. Now, Mortamor stated he too experienced its effects for thousands of years, so IDK if that is the case.

Well, as King of Hell, Estark probably is immortal.

Shun 'Kanamee

What I remember is, in fact, a fraction of what I've seen, giving that the dream lasted for almost 9 hours (I fell asleep roughly at 4 in the morning, and woke up at 13.11 in the middle of a dream scene cause my phone rang), and encompassed me playing through the big part of the game.As for details - well, concerning dreams, I either remember everything (sights, smells, sounds, feelings) or nothing)

I am glad you liked it.

JaybirdC

Lol, that prob was one fun dream XD

He was not slime per se, but more like a small gremln with slime-like head)

Btw, Yveltal became "Phoenix of Yvel", of which there were atleast three, and Zygarde was a worm-dragon thing so cluttered design-wise, it felt more befitting of FinalFantasy. 

---

As for Estark being immortal - it seems like all of DQ demon lords could be revived at some moment, so they are all sort of deathless.

It was a weird dream, possibly even lucid. I remember wondering what ol' Wile E. was even doing there.

Celebi slime is still adorable. Slime face with big ol' Celebi eyes.

Well, yes, but Estark tends to be more deathless than the others; I think the only time he was ever actually killed was when he was partially resurrected during his debut.

Lol)

Yup.Although in DQ style, so not as cutesy as pokemon usually are)

Hmm, makes sense.

Very little is as cutesy as Pokemon is, and especially not under Toriyama's pen, but it has a style all its own.

Edited by JaybirdC

Definitely.

I have big troubles trying to draw something close to either style tho >< So excuse me if my drawings of things from my dream end looking uncool.

A lot of my training (because I have zero artistic talent) ended up being an exercise in copying the stuff I liked, don't be too ashamed of your art.

In the headcanons category, I think Erinn doubles as Nine's muse (she's certainly a very important figure in his life), not even romantically so much as Erinn's just a nearly idealized form of mortal in his eyes. (If DQIX were angstier, I'm scared she'd be killed off as one of those Too Good for This Sinful Earth types).

My art (unless it's fanart) is mostly based on not trying to copy stuff (until recently, I was plain afraid to even use references cause I was told that it's cheating), and it results in "what even is anatomy" most of the time.

I can post few examples,if you want)

Who told you references were cheating? That's silly. Almost everything I've learned about art I've done through study, 'cause I have no actual talent. (Ah, Katy Coope, friend of teenage weebs everywhere). Practice without study is only going to slow you down. Go ahead and show us.

One russian artist whom I knew in my school years."You should study how things work, then make your own version, but copying even a detail directly is wrong" ><
Ah,I see.

Well,out of stuff that is both semi-interesting AND shows my grasp of anatomy without using references, I'd use two JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (I am not a fan, but the setting is interesting and a lot of my friends are into it) OCes, specifically - stands I made for myself and a friend (he just told me what things he thinks are cool and later chose colorscheme, but otherwise, I designed it all by myself).
Here's his Stand, Hot Cross Buns [placeholder name, properties not known yet], putting her first cause a picture is way better than that of mine (and colored)
tumblr_njb8fvE7hJ1r6yohpo1_1280.png

Her fingernails,lips and cloak-thing [it and headwings are soft and felt-like] have a blue X-shape on them; shiny orbs are,well,seemingly glass orbs, fencing mask and boots are made of soft thick leather,and front of the mask and body ( except for the crotch in the front) are covered in wire mesh, few thick wires form “skirt†and “veilâ€.

Now for my (technically, as he is not my Stand per se, info in link at the end of post) guy, Love Gun.I drew him in 2015.He is so blurry cause I did him in mspaint (photoshop kept crashing) and resized midway to add details, and then accidentally saved over the clean version.And his pose is so bad, my friends made a game out of trying to imitate it XD

tumblr_inline_nfhn0qd9351r2kxah.png

He started as a horse-guy (that's why his hips are so curvy for a guy, oh, and his head is supposed to look mostly like a skin-covered deformed horse skull, but I gave up and it looks dragon-like), specifically, one inspired by g1 MLP [he still has twinkle eyes], and chain stands for unicorn horn.His skin is purple-ish, details black and silver, hair are black when he is angry/agressive, but the rest of the time, they are colored like reddish streak in this pony's hair (this color is unique and I looove it, hence me using it)

CandyHeart_800_L_sr.jpg

For info on his properties, follow this link.

There's a file somewhere showing his mouth up close (he has fanged, long-tongued human mouth in depth of his horse one), but I can't find it ><

Edited by Mefista

Well, yes and no to what the artist said. You should study how things work, but what he said about copying details is ridiculous. There's an entire field of art called "life drawing" that's about directly copying what you observe to learn. It's like math drills.

And your art's fair-to-middlin'. Nothing to be ashamed of in your skills that I can see.

Yes, that's what I eventually figured out.

Ah,thanks,you're too kind ^^ Did you like designs of these two?

Also,I found that ref of Love Gun's mouth (it's a real fast paint doodle, and head still looks draconish cause I am too lazy to put any skill in ref):

tumblr_messaging_ont8pkF7rT1r2kxah_1280.

I made a custom dragon back like 4 years ago, only remaining Dragon Quest art I ever made (It would have been a size 4 monster with Base Breaker, Bouncer, Hit Squad, Tactical Genius, and Critical Massacare)

IMG 20170703 193724

I have a question, this would help with headcanons/theory. Is Torland a planet? Or is it like a flat earth?

Speaking of that, my headcanon is that Torland is larger than earth in area, here is the calculation why

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:FanofRPGs/Dragon_Quest_Torland_size_(Revised)

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Your dragon is cool :)

As for the other thing - cannot help, sorry ><

Technically, Torland is the country in which the kingdom of Alefgard resides. Pretty sure it's a round world, given sailing off one edge of the map takes you to the other.

A person I follow on pixiv drew that bishie Rigor Mortex and other monster whom I do not know:

JgnNVs1_538.jpg

*source (it's a set of artworks, so it isn't visble)*

Edited by Mefista

He is the final villain of DQMJ3 IIRC (I swear, I hope that comes to America)