Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Database crashes

So I guess the MySQL server (#1) that the Den was on to begin with started having issues and corrupting data back on April 6, they restored, corrupted again, did a couple more restores and kept corrupting

So they moved all the databases to another MySQL server (#2) and things seemed to be working, except we lost those 2 months of data from April to the beginning of February. Asked for a restore to the new server.

Now here is where it gets confusing for everyone, somewhere along the lines #2 started having the same issues as #1, so they moved it again to #3, but they didn't tell me they moved it to #3. So I kept asking for restores because the data was wrong (April 10 with missing posts), but I kept asking to restore to #2, because I didn't know things had moved to #3 and they didn't change the config files to point to #3.

Finally this we got to speak to Tier 2 (that was a chore to get done) and we figured out that everything should be on #3 and the last few restores I asked for had been done to #3, so we manually changed the config files to point to #3 and lo and behold there is the April 5th un-corrupted data (today about 2 PM Central).

I thought about doing the upgrade then, but knew I had a long week at work next week, will be traveling the weekend of the 29th, figured it couldn't hurt to get everyone back in and stress test the current setup, plus I cannot take my own database snapshot (was working before the crash) so I didn't want to risk the upgrade breaking the database without my own copy.

Once remote MySQL access is working again I plan to script on one of my home computers to take my own nightly snapshots of the databases (forums and den) so I have my own working copies I can restore from.

• Upvote 5

I understood about 50% of that, but that's OK. We're back!

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I really understand it all yet >.<

• Upvote 3

I work in IT and I still didnt understand it all.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

All I know is the mobile version of the site is at war with me right now. I have to keep signing in and hope the next time will be the last.

All I know is the mobile version of the site is at war with me right now. I have to keep signing in and hope the next time will be the last.

It's not just the mobile version, I'm having the same problem on the desktop version on my laptop.

I'm having the log out problem as well on my phone with "Keep me logged in," checked. It only logs me out when I close my web browser app.

I have also noticed that I have to log in frequently.

Okay, so I just want to say I don't care all that much about the problem if the solution is taking down the Den for another half month.

Yeah, I don't want the den going offline again over this. PLEASE, not another black out.

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

I just tried doing that and after a few tries of opening and closing my web browser app it looks like the problem has been resolved. Weird that was happening. Any idea why that was happening prior to clearing my cache and cookies?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

In other words, #1 started to fail. #2 was then brought in as a replacement but then suffered similar issues, and when you tried to remedy said issues #3 replaced both #1 and #2 without your knowledge of it. But hey, least it works now...knock on wood. XD

In other words, #1 started to fail. #2 was then brought in as a replacement but then suffered similar issues, and when you tried to remedy said issues #3 replaced both #1 and #2 without your knowledge of it. But hey, least it works now...knock on woodus. XD

I had to make a small correction.

Either way, I'm glad the site is back up. I need my fix

• Upvote 1

In other words, #1 started to fail. #2 was then brought in as a replacement but then suffered similar issues, and when you tried to remedy said issues #3 replaced both #1 and #2 without your knowledge of it. But hey, least it works now...knock on woodus. XD

I had to make a small correction.

Either way, I'm glad the site is back up. I need my fix

Haha, didn't think of that when I posted. I'll have to keep this joke in mind. 

:P 

I work in IT and I still didnt understand it all.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Likewise.

However, we're back and that's all that matters.