Plattym3

Vita RPGs...?

11 minutes ago, eal said:

If you’re interested in hideously large and shiny boob tumors.

We call those breats. And no, I did not mistype that last word in the first sentence. 😜

• Like 1

No breats for me tonight, can't play a rhythm game and TV. Gonna power through the final 3 episodes of Orange is the New Black. My wife and I enjoyed it years ago, but lost interest around the time the last 2 seasons came out. During the quarantine, we've been trying to finish it. Tonight is the night!

I guess on 2nd thought, there will likely be breats.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

No breats for me tonight, can't play a rhythm game and TV. Gonna power through the final 3 episodes of Orange is the New Black. My wife and I enjoyed it years ago, but lost interest around the time the last 2 seasons came out. During the quarantine, we've been trying to finish it. Tonight is the night!

I guess on 2nd thought, there will likely be breats.

I wasn’t a fan of the last season. Haven’t even tried watching the newest season yet. The show has run longer than it should have, especially since some of the funniest characters like Boo just up and stopped appearing. I know they all were separated due to what the ladies did, but removing some characters entirely just seemed wrong.

Anyway, I can relate to not being able to play a rhythm game while watching something. I’ve tried playing Crypt of the NecroDancer on my Switch but it’s hard to do so when watching something on TV, Netflix, or Hulu.

Hopefully you’ll enjoy some breats at some point in the next few hours. 😘

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

@eal what do the shoulder buttons do?  When that circle gauge is filled up I've hit one and really not noticed what it changes/does.

7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

@eal what do the shoulder buttons do?  When that circle gauge is filled up I've hit one and really not noticed what it changes/does.

The shoulder buttons are super important! I can’t remember what it’s called but when that gauge at the bottom fills up with Japanese characters for the first time, it makes a noise, and that’s when you hit the shoulder buttons (either one). Your character will appear on screen for half a second and say something and from there you need to maintain your combo to power it up and it’ll raise your score. The number in the center shows what level or whatever the gauge is. If you break the combo you’ll hear a noise and it resets and you have to press the shoulder button when the gauge refills with Japanese characters again.

• Like 1

Been playing on my PS4 today and saw there was a sale going on. Turns out a few cross buy games are up for grabs, one of them being The King of Fighters ‘97: Global Match at $3.50. It’s an enhanced version of the game that features a lot of the extra content we saw in the enhanced release of Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

For that price, I’m totally getting it. Having it on Vita and PS4 would be nice since KoF ‘97 is my favorite entry of the Orochi Saga games gameplay wise, and if it has a bunch of unlockables like Garou did (since it’s by the same team), then better yet.

Also, not on Vita, but KoF ‘98 Ultimate Match is up for the same price. ‘98 Ultimate Match is pretty much KoF98, an already content filled game in its original release, but further stuffed with all the stages, music, and missing characters from the Orochi Saga of games, alternate versions of characters included. Man, now I wish this was up for grabs on Switch as well, but I’ll gladly take it on PS4 for that price. Fingers crossed it’s a surprise cross play game with Vita!

• Like 1

A couple months ago I put in some money towards the Kickstarter for the third and final unofficial Vita retrospective book series. I mention this now because I got an update a bit ago and I didn’t realize this but apparently there will be a retrospective for Dragon Quest Builders included. It looks like it’ll be a couple pages long so I’m excited to read it when the book is sent out.

5 minutes ago, eal said:

A couple months ago I put in some money towards the Kickstarter for the third and final unofficial Vita retrospective book series. I mention this now because I got an update a bit ago and I didn’t realize this but apparently there will be a retrospective for Dragon Quest Builders included. It looks like it’ll be a couple pages long so I’m excited to read it when the book is sent out.

That's how I played DQB, on the Vita.  Neat that it'll be included.

25 minutes ago, eal said:

Cool. I didn’t play it much on the Vita, but the game ran fairly well and felt like a good fit for the system.

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Cool. I didn’t play it much on the Vita, but the game ran fairly well and felt like a good fit for the system.

Yeah, I was having a mini-existential crisis a couple years ago trying to decide whether I wanted to buy it digitally for Vita, suck it up and pay more for a physical copy from Asia that was in English for Vita, or get it on PS4 for like $20 and be done with it. I eventually decided on neither and got it for Switch. The demo I played on Vita just screams that it was meant to be played on handheld, untethered to your TV. Maybe some day I’ll actually play it! lol

30 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That's how I played DQB, on the Vita.  Neat that it'll be included.

I put in for the physical but it comes with a PDF so I’ll share the pages when they’re sent out to backers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eal said:

Yeah, I was having a mini-existential crisis a couple years ago trying to decide whether I wanted to buy it digitally for Vita, suck it up and pay more for a physical copy from Asia that was in English for Vita, or get it on PS4 for like $20 and be done with it. I eventually decided on neither and got it for Switch. The demo I played on Vita just screams that it was meant to be played on handheld, untethered to your TV. Maybe some day I’ll actually play it! lol

I put in for the physical but it comes with a PDF so I’ll share the pages when they’re sent out to backers.

I’d love to find a physical copy with the English text option, but I ended up buying it when it was 50% off on the PSN store. It’s a good deal for $20 if you go digital.

I’ve yet to beat the game on any of the consoles I own it for, but I still really enjoy the game when I pick it back up on one of them. It’s a great game to unwind with and take your time exploring the lands, helping out in the current town while you do your thing. And yes, it totally feels like a perfect fit for a handheld experience, but I’m glad console owners (namely PS4 or PC players) can enjoy the games too.

• Like 1

D8ADD7EB-A8F1-489E-A0C4-0B3F2B52EE61.thumb.jpeg.6791db866ebd2d2fcc0df367240e6467.jpeg

• Like 1

Downloaded a new Vita game today: FF vs. DQ Itadaki Street! We'll see how this goes.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, Plattym3 said:

Downloaded a new Vita game today: FF vs. DQ Itadaki Street! We'll see how this goes.

So....how did it go???

So....how did it go???
Heck, I'd already forgotten about it.

I played it, won my second game after losing the first. Then I was continuing on and I played the next board. About 10 turns in it was obvious I was going bankrupt soon as one guy scooped up property and I got none in that time. So I went in and ended the game rather than play for 50 more minutes and lose. Go to load up that board again and it deleted my progress on the first board, meaning I'd have to do it again to keep progressing and open new boards and characters. I haven't played it since. I'm sure I'll go back, but that was annoying. Actually, it might be a good thing to play while I'm reading my 7000 pages of Dai.

CE1975BB-1E73-448A-B231-F351E0039919.thumb.jpeg.ffbd44ffce489f2f2d8d500ebc65190a.jpeg
I’ve got a story for you guys.

Back in October 2018, I catch wind of an Indiegogo campaign by Arcade Distillery (AD) to publish physical copies of Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes and War Theatre. Not games I was particularly interested in (and if you’re ever poking around digital Switch sales, they’ll routinely pop up for $1 or less), but I thought they’d make a fine addition to my collection, or at the very least, I’d be able to flip them on eBay since they released in an exclusive way and full-set Vita collectors that missed out on them would want them. They were $20 each.

By this time, it was known that Vita game carts would be ending production and publishers would have about half a year to place orders on carts. AD did not make this cutoff date and opted to have the games produced by EastAsiaSoft. By this point, it was mid-2019. However, the collectibility of these games suddenly tanked due to no longer being North American games.

For those that don’t know, Vita games are still being produced in Asian territories and a bunch go on sale on Play-Asia in limited quantities somewhat similar to Limited Run Games’s model, except they’re sold exclusively as Collector’s Editions by EastAsiaSoft. Most of them are shovelware garbage but I actually ordered Severed months back so I was familiar with them. If I had to guess, I’d say part of the deal for AD to get physical copies for the Indiegogo backers was that they also had to sell them on Play-Asia, which always come as Collector’s Editions, and would be slightly more expensive then the Indiegogo versions but would come with some extra stuff. Notably, none of this this was mentioned in an Indiegogo update.

However, there must have been enough of an outcry because an update was posted to the campaign that Indiegogo versions would come with exclusive slipcovers and would be signed if asked. A code for an unrelated game was also given out as thanks. I’m confused on this point because the update was on July 2, but the earliest I could find the announcement of the Play-Asia versions was July 4. Backers also got codes for the games as a part of the campaign so you could theoretically never have to open the physical copies from Indiegogo.

AD get their copies of the games at the same time as Play-Asia, and started shipping for Indiegogo backers in October 2019. But because it seemed that only one man, who I think runs the company, was shipping them, they were sent out in drips. Then, a worldwide pandemic hit and AD posted an update that stated the man shipping had self-quarantined and was being tested and the shipping of games had seemingly halted. We never heard if it was negative but when I got an email this week saying my games had shipped I assume he’s clear.

They came in recently and I picked them up today. The slipcases, as you can see from the picture, weren’t wrapped around the games, and they weren’t signed even though I’m sure I asked in a survey that was sent out. I checked eBay to see their value and people are selling them for wildly different prices.

Such is life.

• Like 1

I think at this point, eal's definitely the bigger Vita fan here.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I think at this point, eal's definitely the bigger Vita fan here.

I didn’t know this was contested.

So true. So are you going to play those or keep them or sell them?

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

So true. So are you going to play those or keep them or sell them?

I honestly don’t know. I do have the codes somewhere in my email so it’s not like I need the physical games, but I also don’t want to go and waste space on my memory card for games I don’t care about.

They came at a weird time, where I’ve actually been purging a lot of games I owned for the sake of owning, and the Vita is the #1 offender. I bought a lot of games as I saw prices beginning to rise. I got deals on some of them but not all.

I’ve stacked up about...50 games? I think? That I’m gonna get rid of. I won’t get my money back for some of them but more than a handful I can turn a profit on them. Of course, I’m still left with about 100 games I either expect to play or have already played so it’s not like I’m giving up on the thing. I have a small list of remaining games I want to play that I don’t yet own. And once I’ve made a decent dent in that backlog I’d like to take a look at the PSP catalog on the Vita’s PSN store.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know. I do have the codes somewhere in my email so it’s not like I need the physical games, but I also don’t want to go and waste space on my memory card for games I don’t care about.
They came at a weird time, where I’ve actually been purging a lot of games I owned for the sake of owning, and the Vita is the #1 offender. I bought a lot of games as I saw prices beginning to rise. I got deals on some of them but not all.
I’ve stacked up about...50 games? I think? That I’m gonna get rid of. I won’t get my money back for some of them but more than a handful I can turn a profit on them. Of course, I’m still left with about 100 games I either expect to play or have already played so it’s not like I’m giving up on the thing. I have a small list of remaining games I want to play that I don’t yet own. And once I’ve made a decent dent in that backlog I’d like to take a look at the PSP catalog on the Vita’s PSN store.
150 Vita games!?

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
33 minutes ago, eal said:

150 Vita games!?

The vast majority of which were games I’ve played or intend to play, believe it or not.

Sometimes you just stumble into weird deals. I saw Virtua Tennis 4. It’s not expensive but it is uncommon, so I bought it. I randomly found Valhalla Knights 3 for $25 still sealed. Not a good game, I hear, but it’s uncommon enough that I don’t see it on eBay often at all, let alone sealed. At the same store, someone sold their copies of multiple Hyperdimension Neptunia games and I stand to make good money on them since the store I got them from didn’t know their worth. I once bought three MLB The Show games because they were $1 each and in pristine condition. Games that get delisted sell for more. I found a copy of Ducktales Remastered on PS3 and put it on eBay for maybe $12 and a few days later it was delisted and sold instantly and goes for more than that now. And all the copies I saw collecting dust in clearance racks have suddenly disappeared.

Some are random games that aren’t so readily available in English on a cart. Persona 5 Dancing Star Night, IA/VT Colorful (a JP-only rhythm game), Final Fantasy X-2, Sayonara Umihara Kawase++, and Darkest Dungeon (a physical copy costs $5 more than digital).

• Like 1

I’ve revisited House in Fata Morgana to read the extra content. There’s a prequel and an epilogue that are 12 hours each, as well as a bunch of short stories to flesh out the world and side characters.

I went through the entirety of Requiem for Innocence, the prequel, which, while not required reading, fills in a ton of gaps and turns the cursed resident of the Third Door, whose storyline I considered the worst of them all, into one of the most important characters in the whole game. They essentially fixed that character.

I’m now on Reincarnation, which is essentially a “victory lap” for all the characters that made it to the end. Despite being so full of tragedy, Fata Morgana was a very hopeful story so I’m glad that there’s a happy ending that we get to see. But the thing about this section is that it’s so divorced from all the other content.

The main story and Requiem for Innocence take place throughout history but maintains a very gothic tone. The backgrounds are essentially photographs with filters applied to them, the characters have an almost painted quality to them. The music is very moody and bleak most of the time. It dealt with themes such as racism, murder, torture, self-loathing. And Reincarnation takes place in the modern day and looks like your typical visual novel and even has voice acting in it.

The section I’m on now follows two characters that were siblings in a previous life, and the younger sister was obsessively in love with her brother, which is what led to their downfall in the main game. At the start of Reincarnation, it seemed like they had returned to life as just two people that went to schools nearby, only for them to find out that their parents are getting married and would become step-siblings...except they’re parents are actually getting remarried and her supposed step-father is her actual father and her step-brother is her biological brother. What anime plot is this? I’m on board for it, fresh off the Domestic Girlfriend manga, but it’s a total tonal whiplash.

• Like 1