Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Something I noticed about sailing in this game

I could be wrong (and if I am, tell me) but I do believe this is the only game in the series where, if you sail to the borders of the map, it does NOT spit you out on the side. Instead, you just sail in an endless void in perpetuity. In the other games, you get spit out on the other side of the map to simulate "going around the world"...why not this game?

This isn't really a criticism--just an observation. I'm baffled by this, really. I mean--DQVIII goes for a pseudo-"realism" theme so you'd think they'd retain that "around the world" aspect to sailing in the seas.

Any ideas on why this is?

What are you talking about? I've sailed to the uncharted island by going northeast of Trodain Castle before, and even though it took a long time of sailing in that direction I was able to reach the uncharted island down in the south west corner of the map.

Yup, there's a long section of water between the two sides, unlike the other games where you're put on the other end immediately, but you are still put on the other end soon after.

The total map size is about 40% greater in either direction, when you consider the extra ocean.  Why they decided this is probably to create a "greater ocean" that's more realistic in size where you can't see land in any direction, kind of like how the Pacific is so massive, you can turn a globe to the pacific and find it dominates the whole side...where you can just make out New Zealand, Japan, the NE tip of Russia, and the edges of the Americas.

It would just make little sense to represent this in the map itself, as that would render the continents rather small and hard to read/see in the Zoomed Out version.

• Upvote 1

If it makes you feel any better, I initially thought the same thing because of how long it takes.

• Upvote 1

The total map size is about 40% greater in either direction, when you consider the extra ocean.  Why they decided this is probably to create a "greater ocean" that's more realistic in size where you can't see land in any direction, kind of like how the Pacific is so massive, you can turn a globe to the pacific and find it dominates the whole side...where you can just make out New Zealand, Japan, the NE tip of Russia, and the edges of the Americas.

It would just make little sense to represent this in the map itself, as that would render the continents rather small and hard to read/see in the Zoomed Out version.

Thanks--that makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I initially thought the same thing because of how long it takes.

Yeah, I guess I should have given it a bit longer before giving up. I swear I was sailing for quite a while off the edge of the map and still didn't turn up on the other side. Glad to know it now, at least.

Sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be.

Sailing takes me away

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-Vh3j8sys]

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be.

"Oh, rhythm of my heart

Is beating like a drum

With the words I love you

Rolling off my tongue

No never will I roam

For I know my place is home

Where the ocean meets the sky

I'll be sailing"  :pirate: 

• Upvote 1