Dragon Quest XI Battle System Details, new characters Martina and Rou

NidoTower

Watching the trailer, my reactions upon seeing the characters was like;

she's probably the Mage....

And she's the Healer....

He's obviously a Thief type character.... 

He's the source of comic relief (kinda like a cross between Morrie and Angelo)....

Merchant like old ma --

Oh!!! 

Martina was the only one who gave me a "!" above my head. I don't know why though and I still can't put my finger on it.

It is kind of a personal bias of mine. Martial artists in jrpgs always have that effect on me. They just never really stand out to me unless they have a great personality. Besides, I have always prefered weapons over punches and kicks in any piece of media. So, seeing her holding that naginata in the artwork was when my interest started rising.

Watching the trailer, my reactions upon seeing the characters was like;

she's probably the Mage....

And she's the Healer....

He's obviously a Thief type character.... 

He's the source of comic relief (kinda like a cross between Morrie and Angelo)....

Merchant like old ma --

Oh!!! 

Martina was the only one who gave me a "!" above my head. I don't know why though and I still can't put my finger on it.

It is kind of a personal bias of mine. Martial artists in jrpgs always have that effect on me. They just never really stand out to me unless they have a great personality. Besides, I have always prefered weapons over punches and kicks in any piece of media. So, seeing her holding that naginata in the artwork was when my interest started rising.

Ah, it's the same case for me. Martial artists usually get ignored because of how I prefer equipping everyone with something.

I guess Martina's character design is what made her catch my attention -- I don't see any other Toriyama character designed that way.

Couldn't find something fitting with Captain Picard in it?

Old star trek universe: humans = physically strong.  Other alien races = just as strong as humans.

Spock and Kirk are equally strong and well matched, Spock is just better trained as a warrior and can balance his emotions better.

New star trek universe: humans = physically VERY weak.  Other alien races = either much much much stronger than humans or a little weaker.

Spock is utterly dominating compared to Kirk, whom he can destroy with but a single punch if he so chose to.

Edited by ignasia7

• 4 weeks later...

It turns out my latest hunch about the Free Movement Battle mode is pretty much spot on. ^_^

It's the same classic DQ Battle System we know but just presented in two different ways. 
So excited. I'm inclined to import it already even though I've just recently started intermediate Japanese lessons.

Old star trek universe: humans = physically strong.  Other alien races = just as strong as humans.

Spock and Kirk are equally strong and well matched, Spock is just better trained as a warrior and can balance his emotions better.

Vulcans were always significantly stronger than humans even in old Trek.  It was a plot point multiple times.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Do you guys think the game have options? for battle mode?

my preference is Classic Turn Based Combat (PS4, SWITCH)

It's turn-based. Watch the new video that came out the past couple days.

I know on the 3Ds version I'll be using the 2D mode for that classic feel. Leave the more dynamic battle stuff for the PS4 version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I've seen a video where it looks like You can control just 1 character :\

I know on the 3Ds version I'll be using the 2D mode for that classic feel. Leave the more dynamic battle stuff for the PS4 version.

it seems they are following the Ni No Kuni formula

I think that's exactly what I'll be doing, Twinsie.  I mean, I've played enough 3DS with those 3DS sprites (like DQIX, every Pokemon game, ...) over the years, time for some retro when this comes.  Besides, since I don't replay games often, it will feel more completely different than the PS4 version.

I'll be playing it at least 4 times depending on what gets localized, maybe more based on what the Switch version actually is.

3DS, one 3D chibi and the other 2D sprite, and the PS4 free camera mode and the cinematic mode.

Yes, I'm crazy.

I'll be playing it at least 4 times depending on what gets localized, maybe more based on what the Switch version actually is.

3DS, one 3D chibi and the other 2D sprite, and the PS4 free camera mode and the cinematic mode.

Yes, I'm crazy.

Not really. I'll probably do the same, or at least 3 times. Not really digging the 3D look of the 3DS version, but that opinion could change once I'm actually playing the game.

That's because every Dragon Quest since V has had the ability to switch between controlling everybody manually or setting characters to AI control (other than the protagonist of course).  For advertising purposes they usually have the other party members on AI control since it speeds things up, less time in menus.

There's absolutely no reason currently to think that you will be unable to control the other party members.

• Upvote 1

That's because every Dragon Quest since V has had the ability to switch between controlling everybody manually or setting characters to AI control (other than the protagonist of course).  For advertising purposes they usually have the other party members on AI control since it speeds things up, less time in menus.

There's absolutely no reason currently to think that you will be unable to control the other party members.

I'm just worried :( Hope they will explain more in the near future

Both Battle Modes are turn-based.

The Free Movement Battle Mode and Auto Camera Battle Mode are just there as an alternative option to view battles, just like how the 3DS version has 3D and 2D modes (both visual modes are still turn-based).

If you look closely again, they still took turns attacking while the Hero was running around. None of the party members even acted on their own while it's the players turn to choose a command.

If you try playing DQ IX again and enter a fight, you can choose the "Tactics" option from the initial Battle Menu, and from there, choose "Show No Mercy" for everyone in your party and then your party will be controlled by the AI. You'll have a very similar battle with the ones shown in the videos.

In fact, during the first boss battle gameplay video, they changed the Hero's Tactics to "Show No Mercy" as well; the whole party was controlled by the AI. At a certain point, they changed Senya's Tactics to "Focus on Healing". But when Camus died, they changed the Hero's Tactics back to "Follow Orders".

Edited by Lightpost

Hopefully not a long localization wait.

Edited by Tiael

Set the Hero to AI? I've been split on that option for many years.

1. Love it for grinding, I can zone out and still grind & watch TV.

2. Takes something away from my interaction with the game. Of course I don't need to do it, but I'm lazy, so I do. Haha

2. Takes something away from my interaction with the game. Of course I don't need to do it, but I'm lazy, so I do. Haha

I had BlindJim set on Fight Wisely for every battle but bosses in DQ8 3DS. It was nice, but there were times I felt less connected to the game since I wasn't choosing his commands. Never bothered me with all the party members, but oddly with the hero. Kinda weird.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully not a long localization wait.

Do you mean confirmation of localization or time period between localization announcement and release? 

I had BlindJim set on Fight Wisely for every battle but bosses in DQ8 3DS. It was nice, but there were times I felt less connected to the game since I wasn't choosing his commands. Never bothered me with all the party members, but oddly with the hero. Kinda weird.

Not weird at all. The Hero is the first character you control, and not dictating his moves in battle will feel weird. It's more natural to command someone. It's part of the reason I never had the current party leader in FFXII operating on their Gambits. I needed control of them to feel right.