Dragon Quest XI Battle System Details, new characters Martina and Rou

Dragon Quest XI introduces battle system, new characters Martina and Rou

Command-based battles on both platforms.

The latest issue of Weekly Jump has new details on Dragon Quest XI, introducing the game’s battle system and latest two characters

Battle System

* The PlayStation 4 version uses a “Free Movement Battle†system where you can freely move the character and viewpoint. There is also an “Auto Camera Battle†system in which you can enjoy immersive battles.
* The 3DS version has a “2D Mode†featuring familiar 2D pixel graphics, and “3D Mode†featuring 3D characters and monsters.
* Both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions use command-based battle systems. The “Falcon Slash†and “Thwack†options can be seen in use in screenshots of the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions, respectively.
* You can preemptively strike enemies (PlayStation 4 screenshot).
* There is some sort of new element in which the protagonist is surrounded by a blue aura (PlayStation 4 screenshot).
* Two new monsters, Mandra and Ocobolt, are pictured.

Characters

*Martina – The high-spirited female martial artist. “With you, I’ll protect everyone… That is my fight!â€
* Rou – A mysterious old man with a white mustache. “I’ve been waiting for you all to arrive.â€

a1hI4BO.jpg

Edited by NidoTower
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My guess is the battle system isn't changing from the good old days, but all this talk about FFX system and AoE spells (Grandia anyone?) has me wetting my pants.   Or its just stomach bug, day 3.

The caption below the first screenshot (top-most left) says "Move the character freely and enjoy the battle from various perspectives".  I can only read "Auto Camera" on the screen next to it, the Fu

Yeah, I assumed so myself. Just really curious about how that looks with characters moving around. Also curious if we are still taking turns or if the characters are AI controlled with the option of m

Ah, so the battle system from X is the one in the PS4 version! When the game was first announced, I remember Erdrick said he hoped it would be, and I said I didn't want the system. My opinion on that has changed! X's system is really fun.

Also, one of the PS4 screenshots shows the player character as Veronica, with the Hero being in the party, but not the lead character. So you can change your lineup and leader! Not surprising, but now we know!

Edited by gooieooie

Clearly Rou has the best character description. All you need is the 'stache.

Hmmm,... I appreciate DQ X's battle system but what I missed a lot is being able to manually issue commands for my party members instead of setting them AI profiles. 
I do hope this has some sort of a wait-mode or that "Free Battle Movement" mechanic is similar to that of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which enemies only move when you move your characters.

Gameplay-wise, the 3DS version now seems more appealing to me but exploration-wise, it's still the PS4.
I'll wait for more news and see how it actually works.

Edited by Lightpost

Alright. So, if I understand correctly the ps4 battle system is similar to dqX. I am oke with that. Really hope they show a full battle in action soon. Very curious about how a battle in this game flows, especially with dynamic camera angles turned on (really appreciate them including this function btw).

I like the way the "Free Movement Battle" system sounds. Should give fights more energy and life.

Also, Martina joins the group of fine DQ women who can kick ass. Lookin' real good.

Alright. So, if I understand correctly the ps4 battle system is similar to dqX. I am oke with that. Really hope they show a full battle in action soon. Very curious about how a battle in this game flows, especially with dynamic camera angles turned on (really appreciate them including this function btw).

The caption below the first screenshot (top-most left) says "Move the character freely and enjoy the battle from various perspectives". 

I can only read "Auto Camera" on the screen next to it, the Furigana are too small. The screenshot features the camera focusing on the Hero casting a spell, similar to DQ VIII's.

I get the feeling that the dynamic camera angles (Auto Camera) are those that we see in some of the screen shots showcasing interesting fixed perspectives (Hero and Camus against the SaberCubs, etc.) that probably changes after each battle round or depending on the situation.

So instead of DQ X fights (that could sometimes get boring to watch) where we can manually move the camera around, using "Auto Camera" would be much like DQ VIII's battle camera.

Edited by Lightpost
  • Upvote 1

The caption below the first screenshot (top-most left) says "Move the character freely and enjoy the battle from various perspectives".

I get the feeling that the dynamic camera angles are those that we see in some of the screen shots showcasing interesting fixed perspectives (Hero and Camus against the SaberCubs, etc.) that probably changes after each battle round or depending on the situation.

So instead of DQ X fights where we can manually move the camera around, it'd be much like DQ VIII's battle camera.

Yeah, I assumed so myself. Just really curious about how that looks with characters moving around. Also curious if we are still taking turns or if the characters are AI controlled with the option of moving between them. They really need to show this off during their presentation next month, my curiosity can't handle being spoonfed info and screenshots about the battle system every once in a while for much longer.

• Upvote 1

I get the feeling that the dynamic camera angles are those that we see in some of the screen shots showcasing interesting fixed perspectives (Hero and Camus against the SaberCubs, etc.) that probably changes after each battle round or depending on the situation.

So instead of DQ X fights where we can manually move the camera around, it'd be much like DQ VIII's battle camera.

Yeah, I assumed so myself. Just really curious about how that looks with characters moving around. Also curious if we are still taking turns or if the characters are AI controlled with the option of moving between them. They really need to show this off during their presentation next month, my curiosity can't handle being spoonfed info and screenshots about the battle system every once in a while for much longer.

I'm getting a positive hunch about how it won't be a lot like DQ X where time flows; moving doesn't occur in real time akin to Valkyria Chronicles/Valkyrie Profile 2.

Here's my hunch which I've been sharing around (I'm really sorry if I can't help myself from explaining it in detail); X_x

To cut it short, prior to choosing a command for each of your party members, we could get to move each of them around first;

- Hero's turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Attack > choose Target > Slime). 

After choosing a command for that character, it'd be your next party member's turn.
- Camus' turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Steal > choose Target > Living Armor);
- Martina's turn - first choose a location where you want her; then choose a Command (Item > Magic Bottle > choose Target > Hero);
- Rou's turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Attack > choose Target > Living Armor);

Having issued commands to everyone, the battle plays out in traditional DQ fashion, but this time, your party formation now affects enemy  decisions so clumping your party together would be a great idea to get them hit with a single Sizz spell. And we could now literally move some of our party members in the back to make them an unlikely melee target.

I got this hunch from the Auto Camera feature; having fixed camera angles to move characters around likely won't be a good mix in a system where time somewhat flows like in DQ X.

And thinking back about that hunch, it sounds pretty much like XCOM or Final Fantasy Tactics without grids. LOL!

Still, it's a much more welcome change for me instead of having an offline version of DQ X.

Edited by Lightpost

Interesting...so the 3DS uses DQVII's battle system as it's basis for the 3D, and DQ6/3sfc for the 2D (this was obvious from the first 2D battle screen).

I have to agree with you Emptilion...it would be nice to know the PS4 is not a forced "AI" system ala DQ4 NES.  If not, then maybe it uses an independent turn system like with FFX, but to make that work, I imagine the other characters have to move themselves.  I wonder if you can switch leaders on the fly?

I'm getting a positive hunch about how it won't be a lot like DQ X where time flows; moving doesn't occur in real time akin to Valkyria Chronicles/Valkyrie Profile 2.

Here's my hunch which I've been sharing around (I'm really sorry if I can't help myself from explaining it in detail); X_x

To cut it short, prior to choosing a command for each of your party members, we could get to move each of them around first;

- Hero's turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Attack > choose Target > Slime). 
  After choosing a command for that character, it'd be your next party member's turn.
- Camus' turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Steal > choose Target > Living Armor);
- Martina's turn - first choose a location where you want her; then choose a Command (Item > Magic Bottle > choose Target > Hero);
- Rou's turn - first choose a location where you want him; then choose a Command (Attack > choose Target > Living Armor);

Having issued commands to everyone, the battle plays out in traditional DQ fashion, but this time, your party formation now affects enemy  decisions so clumping your party together would be a great idea to get them hit with a single Sizz spell. And we could now literally move some of our party members in the back to make them an unlikely melee target.

I got this hunch from the Auto Camera feature; having fixed camera angles to move characters around likely won't be a good mix in a system where time somewhat flows like in DQ X.

And thinking back about that hunch, it sounds pretty much like Final Fantasy Tactics without grids. LOL!
Still, it's a much more welcome change for me instead of having an offline version of DQ X.

I'm hoping your example is about what occurs.  That's the only way I can see handling this while assuring FULL player control, and a sense of realism.  If so, I have to wonder if position has any meaning, or if it's just for the sake of realism/aesthetic value?

Edited by ignasia7

I'm hoping your example is about what occurs.  That's the only way I can see handling this while assuring FULL player control, and a sense of realism.  If so, I have to wonder if position has any meaning, or if it's just for the sake of realism/aesthetic value?

I think it would add another layer of strategy. AoE Spells/Skills, Boomerang and Whip attacks might work differently if that's the case.

Geez, now I'm craving for a proper console FFT sequel but sadly, SE seems to have abandoned it because it's too archaic and niche to be a Final Fantasy game....

Edit: cross out FFT, I think the XCOM battle system would be much more similar to my hunch; distance shouldn't limit the enemies you could target. During the battle sequence, your character would still dash toward the distant target to attack it and then jump back to the spot you chose -- you can still decide to attack a distant character with a sword but the chance of an enemy dodging the attack will become higher.

Edited by Lightpost

I wonder if the spear/naginata is Martina's main weapon or it'll be similar to VIII where characters can use multiple weapons. It would be cool if it's the latter. I think it's interesting seeing characters wield different types of weapons.

I wonder if the spear/naginata is Martina's main weapon or it'll be similar to VIII where characters can use multiple weapons. It would be cool if it's the latter. I think it's interesting seeing characters wield different types of weapons.

I would imagine, if this is a fixed class system ala DQ's 2/4/5/8, then we'll absolutely see multiple weapon options per character, and a continuation of the skill system started with 8...though I hope it's expanded well into what 10 produced.

I think it would add another layer of strategy. AoE spells and whip attacks would work differently if that's the case.

Geez, now I'm craving for a proper console FFT sequel but sadly, SE seems to have abandoned it because it's too archaic and niche to be a Final Fantasy game....

Edit: cross out FFT, I think the XCOM battle system would be much more similar to my hunch; distance shouldn't limit the enemies/character you could target, your character will still dash toward the target to attack it and then jump back to the spot you chose during the battle sequence. 

You can still decide to attack a distant character with a sword but the chance of an enemy dodging the attack will become higher.

Considering that in the 3DS version of DQ7, and at times in DQ8, some attacks actually "hit" the characters in your line, but don't affect them, it's just the graphic filtering through their models, it would work the same way.  So XCOM is more likely to fit.  Essentially like a shooter where friendly fire is always turned off, and your teammates are impervious/unaffected by your own bullets/explosives/knife attacks/etc.

What I am wondering though is if we'll see some expansion of the combo system started in 9.  I know 10 continues it given some of the videos I've seen, but I wonder if they'll expand it.  In 9 you COULD actually use it with a multi-hit weapon, but your other attacks must be single-target and hit the final enemy...like if you had one character hit the first enemy with a single target, character 2 hits with a boomerang, the first enemy gets the 1.2x damage boost of hit 2 in the combo, but it ends there and if the final enemy is targeted for normal hits by the other characters in your party.  Then it continues the combo, though that boomerang hit starts a new "1st" hit in a new combo.

I wonder, given DQ's basis and constant drawing from PC games (original game was inspired by Ultima and Wizardry, class system from Wizardry, and since 8, the skill point distribution system from DnD)...if we'll have a backstab feature in the PS4 version?  Maybe increased chances at a critical hit?  Though it couldn't be implemented in the 3DS version from what we've seen and know, unless there's some random modifier that allows characters to make a check for sneaking around the back or side?  Who knows.  It will certainly be interesting.  Maybe they might add something where stealing rates are increased based on character position relative to an enemy?

---

Though it's about a 99% chance the "movement" will be aesthetic to give a more realistic "flow" to the battlefield, at least for this release.

Especially given ALL the PS4 screens so far indicate normal battle positions, so we're probably looking at the start of a battle, once it begins, so it's not ENTIRELY like DQX, giving more credence to your breakdown Lightpost, as to the potential flow of battle.  Though I have to wonder if rounds will be handled as a single round, or if they'll allow for individual action rounds based on FFX's system...and Valkyrian Chronicles (or FFT if you want, just without the added hassle of a grid system and friendly fire).

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I would imagine, if this is a fixed class system ala DQ's 2/4/5/8, then we'll absolutely see multiple weapon options per character, and a continuation of the skill system started with 8...though I hope it's expanded well into what 10 produced.

I think it would add another layer of strategy. AoE spells and whip attacks would work differently if that's the case.

Edit: cross out FFT, I think the XCOM battle system would be much more similar to my hunch; distance shouldn't limit the enemies/character you could target, your character will still dash toward the target to attack it and then jump back to the spot you chose during the battle sequence. 

You can still decide to attack a distant character with a sword but the chance of an enemy dodging the attack will become higher.

Considering that in the 3DS version of DQ7, and at times in DQ8, some attacks actually "hit" the characters in your line, but don't affect them, it's just the graphic filtering through their models, it would work the same way.  So XCOM is more likely to fit.  Essentially like a shooter where friendly fire is always turned off, and your teammates are impervious/unaffected by your own bullets/explosives/knife attacks/etc.

What I am wondering though is if we'll see some expansion of the combo system started in 9.  I know 10 continues it given some of the videos I've seen, but I wonder if they'll expand it.  In 9 you COULD actually use it with a multi-hit weapon, but your other attacks must be single-target and hit the final enemy...like if you had one character hit the first enemy with a single target, character 2 hits with a boomerang, the first enemy gets the 1.2x damage boost of hit 2 in the combo, but it ends there and if the final enemy is targeted for normal hits by the other characters in your party.  Then it continues the combo, though that boomerang hit starts a new "1st" hit in a new combo.

I wonder, given DQ's basis and constant drawing from PC games (original game was inspired by Ultima and Wizardry, class system from Wizardry, and since 8, the skill point distribution system from DnD)...if we'll have a backstab feature in the PS4 version?  Maybe increased chances at a critical hit?  Though it couldn't be implemented in the 3DS version from what we've seen and know, unless there's some random modifier that allows characters to make a check for sneaking around the back or side?  Who knows.  It will certainly be interesting.  Maybe they might add something where stealing rates are increased based on character position relative to an enemy?

---

Though it's about a 99% chance the "movement" will be aesthetic to give a more realistic "flow" to the battlefield, at least for this release.

Especially given ALL the PS4 screens so far indicate normal battle positions, so we're probably looking at the start of a battle, once it begins, so it's not ENTIRELY like DQX, giving more credence to your breakdown Lightpost, as to the potential flow of battle.  Though I have to wonder if rounds will be handled as a single round, or if they'll allow for individual action rounds based on FFX's system...and Valkyrian Chronicles (or FFT if you want, just without the added hassle of a grid system and friendly fire).

I like the Combo mechanic DQ IX has and it'd be a really nice if they expand it even just a bit. 

The new screenshots though show the party members spread out. I think there'd be a disconnected if we see them at different points of the battle field one moment and then get hit together with a Sizz spell for example during the battle sequence.

FFX's CTB system offered a much more smoother/somewhat seamless turn order but I still prefer the slight unpredictability of issuing commands for all party members in one go first and then just sitting back and see everything turns out.

The potential of what this battle system could be is definately pretty interesting to me. There are many ways they could go about it. Either way, if they decide to keep it simple or if this battle system actually takes adventage of positioning and stuff like that, I am sure I will enjoy it.

I have never been to picky when it comes to strategic gameplay when compared to action games.

Right now I am just going to wait until they reveal the specifics about this system. I just hope it is soon.

I guess every character will have 3 weapons + 1 special skill like 8,9 and 10.

About Martina, i think Nagitana will be either a new weapon type exclusive to her like yangus scytes or i'll be part of the spear family.

Edited by Toonadri

My guess is the battle system isn't changing from the good old days, but all this talk about FFX system and AoE spells (Grandia anyone?) has me wetting my pants.

Or its just stomach bug, day 3.

• Upvote 2

The potential of what this battle system could be is definately pretty interesting to me. There are many ways they could go about it. Either way, if they decide to keep it simple or if this battle system actually takes adventage of positioning and stuff like that, I am sure I will enjoy it.

I have never been to picky when it comes to strategic gameplay when compared to action games.

Right now I am just going to wait until they reveal the specifics about this system. I just hope it is soon.

I actually now get the feeling that the positioning is just for aesthetic purposes just like Ignasia's hunch. Kinda like how characters move during battle sequences in DQ IX. So Platty's guess sits right with me. Lol!

Anyway, even though I appreciate being able to set my party member's AI ala Final Fantasy Knights of the Old Republic, I'll be disappointed if we won't get to manually issue commands to our party members.

So far, if we look closely at Camus in the 5th screenshot (the one with Senya in the middle), it appears as if he was positioned there and has been given the Guard command and now it's Senya the player should choose a command for.

CHANGE TOPIC: Rou and Martina (my permanent party member - but her skills might change it though); I wonder if they'll have Asian accents. Also, I can only remember DQ III having an oriental/Asian-based location so I guess this would be the second game to feature another one.

Edited by Lightpost
  • Upvote 1

Here's what I want to know...will DQ11 finally bring back Asian dragons?  I loved that about 3 and 7, but so far they're the only two games, and 7 drastically disappoints, as they have high agility, and even in the 3DS, their movement animation is REALLY fast, much more so than almost any other enemy, but they only attack once per round, and none of them have a broken breath attack like they do in 3.  I was hoping the remake would have fixed that, actually made them difficult.  Maybe fleshed out Dark Draco, or maybe the DLC monsters would have had something from DQ3's evil versions of Oriental-style Dragons, complete with their utterly devastating breath attacks, and superior attack stats.  I remember how dangerous they were to meet up with in 3.  Low HP, but very dangerous.

Just to see them in a new DQ again would be nice.  Heck, I would love to see Xenlon added as a bonus boss, especially given the connections to the Erdrick trilogy.

I actually now get the feeling that the positioning is just for aesthetic purposes just like Ignasia's hunch. Kinda like how characters move during battle sequences in DQ IX. So Platty's guess sits right with me. Lol!

Anyway, even though I appreciate being able to set my party member's AI ala Final Fantasy Knights of the Old Republic, I'll be disappointed if we won't get to manually issue commands to our party members.

So far, if we look closely at Camus in the 5th screenshot (the one with Senya in the middle), it appears as if he was positioned there and has been given the Guard command and now it's Senya the player should choose a command for.

CHANGE TOPIC: Rou and Martina (my permanent party member - but her skills might change it though); I wonder if they'll have Asian accents. Also, I can only remember DQ III having an oriental/Asian-based location so I guess this would be the second game to feature another one.

Yeah, if it is just setting up AI, I would be disappointed as well. But you are right. Looking at that screenshot it definately looks like you are still giving direct commands. Not like I am to worried about this. Unlike dq10, this is a full singleplayer game. I don't think they would straight up copy the dq10 battle system in at game like this. I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like something they could get away with. I am pretty sure we will be able to switch characters during battle. I am most curious about how. Is it a traditional DQ battle system on the move or is it more similar to something like ff12 where you have a ATB system while you switch between characters freely? or something like that.

But yeah, it looks like this game is going to be pretty multicultural in general again. We have seen that Oriental town, we have seen a town inspired by Venice and we saw a town inspired by ancient Egypt.

I didn't really like Martina's design when I saw her in the trailer but finally getting a good look at it it's grown on me a lot, I hope she actually gets to use a naginata in-game.

I figured this is the route they'd take with the combat system when the first screenshots were shown, the PS4 screens looked a little more action based. That really does kind of stump me, I'd like to try the PS4 gameplay and I feel like I'd prefer it but I've always liked my RPGs on handhelds just because it's more comfortable that way.

I didn't really like Martina's design when I saw her in the trailer but finally getting a good look at it it's grown on me a lot, I hope she actually gets to use a naginata in-game.

Same tbh. She was actually the character that stood out to me the least. But after that new artwork of her, she has grown on me. I might even put her in my final party if she is a likable character.