Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

Dragon Quest: Seekers of the Sacred Shards

So, you probably have already guessed judging by this topic's existence, but I'm making a game. Using RPG Maker VX Ace, I am creating a Dragon Quest fan game that, hopefully, won't turn out to be total crap. I'm still a relative noob with the program (though I've come a long way from when I bought it a year ago), so perfection this won't be. I'm just a guy who loves DQ and wanted to do my own spin on it. What can I say? Anyway, enough about my skills. Let's talk about the game.

* Story:

You play as Sirin, a 16 year old boy living in the quiet burg of Stonecraft, a town of stonemasons. Though his mother is the most famous mason in town, he has aspirations of becoming a renowned swordsman rather than a skilled mason. Still, he practices his mother's craft anyway, while always training to improve his swordsmanship.

Upon discovering a mysterious crystal shard brimming with powerful magic, Sirin are swept into a grand journey to save the world that will take him to faraway lands and ancient places, introduce him to strange and interesting people, and pit him against terrible foes!

Will he be able to brave the hardships that await and save the world from certain disaster? Well, that's up to you.

* Characters:

Sirin- Age 16: Sirin is the hero of the story. A young mason with dreams of being a master of the blade, he finds himself needing to cultivate those skills sooner than expected when he's given an important, but dangerous task.

Ashley- Age 16: Ashley is Sirin's childhood friend; a partner whom which he shares everything with. When the monumental task of saving the world is thrust into Sirin's hands, she backs him up without hesitation, promising to support him throughout whatever may happen.

Stella- Age 17: A gifted spellcaster from Mysteria, Stella enlists Sirin's help in uncovering the truth behind several odd happenings in the city. When the truth is revealed, Stella decides to accompany Sirin on his journey, realizing that he'll need her magic if he's to survive.

There are other characters of course, but I'll leave you to discover them yourself.

* Current features/Planned features:

Here's a rundown of things already working, or at least planned for later implementation.

- Vocation System: Visit Alltrades Abbey in order to switch vocations, modifying your stats and allowing access to vocation-specific skills and spells!

- Skill Point System: Learn new abilities by spending SP gained from leveling your characters, using special items, and other ways!

- Alchemy Pot: Create new and powerful items and equipment by using the Alchemy Pot to combine various ingredients and make all sorts of different things!

- Affection System: Something new for a Dragon Quest game. Gain or lose affection with party members through your words. Different responses will have varying effects on how close your party members are to you. Raise affection levels to acquire rare, one-of-a-kind items or statistical boosts!

More to come as development proceeds.

* Screenshots:

4xLPjj0.png

xCt5ify.png

ngu0y6M.png

TED8GGW.png

ckseKvI.png

Well, that's what's up so far. Guess I'm committed to doing this game now, huh? Stay tuned for more, if you care about this, that is.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

Hmm~ veeeeeery interesting! I'm ever so curious as to how it may turn out... exciting!!! That's the word! A blank slate of an adventure is like a shopping spree of the creative mind! :D Yours truly is always brewing up new concepts as I struggle through the creation of my own magnum opus: a fantasy manga, and I'd be more than happy to contribute ideas and concepts which may aid in your endeavors, should you will it so, Sword of Dusk! ^_^

Sounds intriguing, Swords. Best of luck with this all!

By all means, share your ideas. I'm always open to additional concepts.

Thanks, Platty. Your encouragement is appreciated.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk
  • Upvote 1

Sounds cool, good luck with it :thumbsup:

Coolio! Looking forward to seeing more!

A few screenshots have gone up in the first post. I decided not to go retro with this game, as can be seen, so it won't be as "Dragon Questy" as some other games here. Of course, that does depend on how much you equate graphics to DQ.

You can find graphics/sprites/tilesets of the DQ games online relatively easy. Its just a matter of importing them into rpg maker.

Custom tileset are good to as rpg maker has its limitations...

The slime clashes with the rpg maker standard battle back. Theres probably battle backgrounds of DQ 7. Thats where the slime sprite is from right?

Edited by slimeborgi

I intend to use the DQ7 battlebacks, but I haven't implemented them yet. It'll probably be one of the last things changed before the first demo release.

I intend to use the DQ7 battlebacks, but I haven't implemented them yet. It'll probably be one of the last things changed before the first demo release.

The slime makes it!

Currently building skill sets so I can get that out of the way. Not much to say, but there will be new skills in the game that don't appear in Dragon Quest. A few examples below:

Withering Edge- Sword skill that deals damage and drops a foe's Defense.

Riposte Stance- Assume a defensive stance and counter any physical attacks.

Spell Overload- Makes the next spell do insane damage, but drops the user's stats.

Enchanted Slash- A physical attack empowered by the user's Strength stat and Wisdom stat.

Speaking of Wisdom, it will have an effect on spell damage, so hopefully magic won't become obsolete in the late game. Also, DQ8 3DS' full recovery on level up is in, so early game dungeon diving should be easier, though the first two dungeons aren't really long.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk
  • Upvote 1