Your favorite playable cast in the series

Which game has your favorite playable cast of characters from the Dragon Quest series?

It's gotta be 8 for me because those characters have the most, well, character.

DQ8, no freaking question. I love each and every party member to a high degree, and this includes the newest ones.

VII pretty easily. I love all of the characters, and I find that their personalities compliment each other very well. Early on, you've got a group of childhood friends; besides you, you've got Kiefer, who respects you and are best friends with, and Maribel, who likes to berate the group; which Kiefer retorts against. Later, you've got Maribel and Gabo; Maribel is still grumpy, but Gabo is optimistic and cheerful, and again there's a nice balance. 

I find it continues on like this; when Melvin joins, he enjoys the company of the other three, and respects them all a great deal, and when Aira joins, she seems to immediately like the group. So that's one thing.

But then- and this might just be me- but I feel that the cast seem more close than most of the other casts? VIII did this well too, but all the characters in VII really seem like they're friends to me, whereas I didn't get that feeling from most of the other casts. In IV, it feels like everyone's just along for the ride. In V, most of the cast is either a monster or a family member. In VI, they don't seem super close, though I haven't beaten it, so I can't comment on that for certain. II didn't really have this, you make the characters in III and IX. You're alone in X. This one is pretty opinionated I think, though.

And as one more thing, I connected with the cast much more than any other game in the series, and maybe any other game period, due to its length. By the end, you've gone on a looooong journey with all of them, and you know their personalities pretty well by the end.

...VII!

My favorite is IV's. We get to see their back stories via their chapters, and everyone brings something good to the party. I switch my party all the time in IV.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up DQ5.

I'm honestly shocked it took this long. I wasn't gonna comment because it felt to obvious but when no one else had spoken up I thought I might as well.

The thing about DQ5 is that for a good portion of the game, it's just you and your monsters. Human party members come and go until the third act, and as a result, there's no cohesive feeling until then.

Both dragon quest iv and dragon quest V i love both games cast

The thing about DQ5 is that for a good portion of the game, it's just you and your monsters. Human party members come and go until the third act, and as a result, there's no cohesive feeling until then.

The appreciable thing about that is that it feels like it's your journey. You just meet people along the way who venture with you. It's an intimate tale of family, not a shared story between a group of heroes.

The appreciable thing about that is that it feels like it's your journey. You just meet people along the way who venture with you. It's an intimate tale of family, not a shared story between a group of heroes.

Yep, but I think that might be a weakness in terms of someone's favorite cast. You just don't spend as long with everyone in 5 as you do in other games. In 5's case, you have to love its characters individually a bit more than you do the interactions of the other casts.

However, that very same fact gives DQ5's story an amazing undertone that makes it one of the best in the series. None of the other entries are anywhere near as emotionally powerful.

This is like picking my favorite game... too hard.

100% get this.  Can't fault the logic here, it could be my favorite, although the kids come along too late and have not much personality.

It's gotta be 8 for me because those characters have the most, well, character.

This.  I don't detect a weakness anywhere.

For me, It has to be Dragon Quest IV. 

This is also my favorite.  Although I don't care for Mara or Nara at all, so that's a tiny drop.

My favorite is 7 with 8 being a close second.

Kiefer doesn't stay  :cry2:

Maribel does.  :cry:

Otherwise this would be in the running.

Dragon Quest 1, for sure. That silent protagonist gets all the ladies.

The DragonLord is certainly impressed.

It is really hard to top Dragon Quest VIII, each character had such personality to them. Even the side characters like Morrie, before he became playable was a fun character to interact with. They made a character like Yangus, despite his looks, a very fun and charming character in his own way...always bring a good smile and a laugh. Dragon Quest VIII is good on its own, but its characters really evaluated it to something more. They even did a wonderful job showing the connection between the Hero and the Princess, which really made me want to see them get together in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't decide between DQ IV and VIII.
I love the wild ride IV's big cast went through. But I just can't get enough of Yangus.

My honorable mentions are DQ V, because of it's melancholic tone and how the Hero eventually finds people he can rely on. I also can't get enough of how annoying/sarcastic Maribel can be.

I'll let my avatar speak for itself on that point.

I just feel that the cast of DQIV has the best balance: no job classes--you just get party members with abilities tailor-made to them that allows for probably the best party member swapping. DQIV is the only Dragon Quest game where I enjoy swapping party members in/out during several portions of the game because each character has a certain "niche" ability that makes them advantageous depending upon the battles in the area.

I love their personalities, stories, the chapter system that allows for character development and all the little quirks to their personalities. Definitely IV's cast. :thumbsup: