I feel like I'm at my wit's end here. So I've been trying for what feels like hours now trying to tame a Gem Jamboree from one of the DLC tablets. For whatever reason, I have not been able to tame one despite fighting dozens of them by now. I'm using a party of four mastered Monster Mashers and try to start off with everyone using Animal Magnetism on them. Two of my characters (Hero and Aishe) are strong enough to defeat them with physical attacks. But every time I manage to defeat them, I still can't seem to tame one. As far as I know, you don't need to defeat the monster you want to tame in battle last.

Usually I try to defeat them by the 2nd turn since they run away fast and there's no way to put them to sleep, etc. Am I doing something wrong?

What I did was have two people set as Monster Mashers using Animal Magnetism, while the other two kept attacking. The two using AM had Metro. Bracelets for double speed so at least two AM's were "cast." Eventually I was able to tame one.

It's one of those luck of the draw monsters you can recruit, like the Metal and Gold Mannequin in one of the DLC tablets. Even one use of AM will help out.

Someone else might be able to confirm, but from every time I've recruited a monster it was the last one I killed, even if it wasn't one I was aiming for or just recruited by chance.

What I did was have two people set as Monster Mashers using Animal Magnetism, while the other two kept attacking. The two using AM had Metro. Bracelets for double speed so at least two AM's were "cast." Eventually I was able to tame one.

It's one of those luck of the draw monsters you can recruit, like the Metal and Gold Mannequin in one of the DLC tablets. Even one use of AM will help out.

Someone else might be able to confirm, but from every time I've recruited a monster it was the last one I killed, even if it wasn't one I was aiming for or just recruited by chance.

Thanks for the advice! I managed to tame one finally after 59 of them defeated... I was beginning to run out of patience. They just seem notoriously difficult to tame.. I don't know if this made the difference but it only took a few battles after I started defeating all of the other enemies first.

Glad I could help.

Have you tamed a Metal Medley yet?

Also, not sure where you got the idea from, but Yangus is right, Tame MUST be final monster killed.  The only time where it doesn't matter as much is stealing, where Auto-steals from Thief/Pirate/Vigilantern (really the Djinn Genie) net you a steal from a randomly selected monster, so kill order is of no consequence as auto-stealing is a higher rate than drop.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

Have you tamed a Metal Medley yet?

Also, not sure where you got the idea from, but Yangus is right, Tame MUST be final monster killed.  The only time where it doesn't matter as much is stealing, where Auto-steals from Thief/Pirate/Vigilantern (really the Djinn Genie) net you a steal from a randomly selected monster, so kill order is of no consequence as auto-stealing is a higher rate than drop.

Not yet, I don't believe I have that map at the moment. Gonna have to wait until it's available again.

Wait...where can you get the DLC tablets?

Wait...where can you get the DLC tablets?

Regenstien, in the present day, becomes...The Haven.  A town built for monsters seeking peace and solace.

The first time you unlock this town, enter, speak to Carey, she's in front of the central stone pillar you used the special water to undo the stone statues, and save the little boy.

She'll send you on a scavenger hunt for your first story recruit.  This will be Phlegmrique.  If you can't understand the clue, he's situated:

Pilchard Bay, the end of the Docks, looks like a Minstrel.

Speak to him, tell him about The Haven.  Zoom back (or use the Ship if you don't have Zoom) to The Haven and speak to Phlegmrique.  Then speak to Carey.  This will unlock the ability to recruit Haven story recruits at will, so long as you know they're location, and you've progressed far enough into the story for them to appear.

Luckily, the game gives you two new recruits on the immediate.  If you need a clue for the next one, it's in the dialogue with Phlegmrique:

Estard Inn, 2f, the farmer.

The third recruit, if you don't know where she is...is given away in a hint/tip from the 2nd recruit (and the same goes for hints to each subsequent story recruit, except the last bonus recruit, because that recruit is a secret.

NOTE, that each story recruit you speak to, the first time, will give a special tablet.  Beat it the first time to get a bonus item (one-time only).  However, it's usually best to read the locations of each first, as the tablets they give take up one of the limited 24 slots, and if you don't feel like beating them now, they will not give them a second time.  So wait out a later period to speak to everyone else.  The only required speaking is Phlegm, and then Carey for that second time.  So you only have to accept one Haven gift tablet (the one you should keep to exploit after Alltrades is unlocked, as it has a level cap of 20, and only contains slimes).

Now...as per DLC.

After you get the first three recruits, Zoom to The Haven to see it has been upgraded (there are 4 total forms, you're now in form #2).  Make sure to loot the town, then check out the Bar.  This place is artfully named, the Download Bar.  Guess what you do with it?  No?  Maybe?  Ok, I'll tell you, you download DLC.  You can also share maps on the same service for a chance at other player shared maps (and DLC maps, as for some reason those are available as random options amongst the list of many player traded maps).

The trade service allows between 1 to 3 new maps.  The Download service now offers up to the current release, with all previous now sticking around.

So to access, just speak to the Bartender, make SURE your save is the right one:

- I say this because if you've saved in the Church or used the Download Bar with a different save, but then the current save you're on is a different playthrough, and you've not used the Church or DL Bar yet, but only Quicksave, or used no save feature what-so-ever, it will DEFAULT to the position of the last official/main save game.  So you can accidentally overwrite a different save.  So it's best to just be more judicious with Church saves.

Anyway, in most situations you'll be loading from the same save/playthrough you've been continuing, so the default cursor position will be to that particular save file.  The main reason I mention the above is that the save feature in the Download Bar (you must save to access), WILL NOT show your names and stats, so you better be wary of which save you're actually playing before saying ok.  Like I said though, 99% of the time it will be the save you're currently playing anyway, so it's default will be in the correct position.

First option is to share.  You can only share Haven maps (if the boss is beaten), player created maps you've gotten from Street Pass, or this 24-hour share service (again, assuming you've beaten the boss), or maps YOU created yourself (after you fully unlock Monster Meadows).  This is only usable every real-time 24-hours.  It won't tell you how long you've got, so pay attention to your watch/clock/phone clock to know after what time the next day you can share again.

- The maps you can get from this service are: haven maps someone else shared, player created maps someone else shared, and DLC maps.  90% of the time you'll get player created maps.  It seems pretty even 33% of the time you get 1, 2, or 3 maps.  Do realize these all take up slots in the total limited 24 maps you have for received maps.  So pay attention to how many you have.

The second option is for the DLC maps.  Note these take up slots in the 24 total received maps.  So pay attention to how many you have.

A WARNING: be very cautious about both shared and DLC maps.  Any player created map you get will add people to The Haven, and you CAN accidentally blow past form #3, and miss some mini-medals (or if you haven't raided for the lone mini-medal in form #2, that one as well can be lost forever).  So pay attention and assure you've only UP to 19 total immigrants from sharing and DLC.  Note that if someone shared a Haven tablet, you don't expand your town, or obtain that haven recruit, because those recruits are part of the storyline.

The Haven form #3 is between 10 and 19 street pass + dlc immigrants (or in the storyline, if you're further ahead, after the 7th story immigrant, and until the 14th).