Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Was the "gray scale" world due to game data limitations?

Let me start by stating that I LOVE the gray scale world in this game. It's quite unique and something I wish they would have shown more of in the game.

Having stated that, though, I was wondering...do you think they made that world in such a way due to data limits within the original game?

I had this discussion briefly with another user here (I forget whom) months ago but wanted to bring it back to the table for a wider discussion.

The characters in the game refer to this as a "dark world". Since III, the dark worlds have been a staple for each subsequent game in the series and I guess this gray scale world is meant to be DQVIII's dark world/area.

Considering the sheer size of this game's overworld, do you think they perhaps didn't have the room to include a secondary overworld for the dark world? If you ask me, this "gray scale" version seems like it was a way to include a dark world while not adding additional data for another overworld.

If so--their data "cost" saving measure led to probably one of the most unique innovations in the entire series.

A scrubbed iso of PS2 DQ8(US) is only 2.6GB, so, no, it wasn't a size limitation. Single layer DVD's are capable of holding 4.7GB of data.

A scrubbed iso of PS2 DQ8(US) is only 2.6GB, so, no, it wasn't a size limitation. Single layer DVD's are capable of holding 4.7GB of data.

Hmmm...interesting... 

Thank you for that information!

Hmmm...I wonder if it could have been due to a time constraint, then. I mean--I'm not saying that they couldn't have decided to do it this way for creative reasons, but we all know how strict some of the time constraints can be for video games.

Hmmm...interesting...

Hmmm...I wonder if it could have been due to a time constraint, then. I mean--I'm not saying that they couldn't have decided to do it this way for creative reasons, but we all know how strict some of the time constraints can be for video games.

With as vibrant and colorful the rest of the game is, my assumption is that they went with grayscale to show contrast. Not due to limitations in size or time, just artistic direction.

No, the Dark World as given was a deliberate aesthetic and story choice.

Conceptually, Dragon Quest's Dark Worlds kind of jump around. In III, the Dark World is secretly the world of Alefgard. In IV to VI, the Dark World is basically just Hell with curiously missing VIN numbers. In VIII, by comparison, the Dark World is a kind of mirror world, without color (ignoring the red chests, which is more a necessary weasel of gameplay).

As a story function, they didn't need the Dark World for exploratory purposes (VIII's world is already HUGE, so a fully explorable OTHER world would've made the story trudge), the Dark World just needed to serve as Empyrea's prison, so they simply let you enter the Dark World in the only area relevant to her.

Still, a part of me always did wish you could explore it anyway; why go through the effort of implying an entire alternate copy of your world and then keep you stuck on a comparatively tiny chunk of it?

I missed this conversation when it started, which is curious because I have an opinion about this.

I genuinely believe that the grey world you visit is how it is due to system limitations. The game already groans as hard as it can as it goes from loading screen to loading screen. The world is quite massive as is. But as was mentioned, "dark worlds" are basically a tried a true staple of Dragon Quest games, and there was only so much more they could do. And so, world is basically a gated off palette swap, monsters and all. It was exceptionally obvious when I first went there why it ended up being this way.

Hmmm...interesting...

With as vibrant and colorful the rest of the game is, my assumption is that they went with grayscale to show contrast. Not due to limitations in size or time, just artistic direction.

This is how I feel as well.

Wow, I'm surprised to see a revival of my thread so recently! Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess it could go either way. I've always gotten the impression that Dragon Quest VII and VIII may have been a bit rushed (but maybe that's a story for another thread) due to time constraints/tight schedule for release. This happens with a LOT of video games, really.

I guess I'm wanting a large dark world in the series again like the one featured in III. III was unique in not only having the LARGEST and most expansive dark world of the series but also in the fact that it featured the SAME objectives from the first game, making Dragon Quest III practically two games in one. You could literally relive the first Dragon Quest while playing III and it was so unique during that time. From IV onward it was just a little island as the dark world in each game.

It's debatable, but Dragon Quest VII's "dark world" was Orgodemir's lair in the past. That one was nothing more than just a castle floating in an orangish/black void. Then again, that game was already pushing the limitations of data so it's more understandable that the dark world in that game was so small.

I heard someone once mention that VII technically had a larger dark world: the world map itself. I guess I can see what they mean: about 70-80% of the world map ends up shrouded in darkness at different points throughout VII which is quite reminiscent of III and how Alefgard was sealed off.

I know it will never happen, but I wish they could release an expansion pack that would allow you to travel the rest of the dark world in VIII. I just love that strange noir style of it. Gives it this...timeless essence.

No, the Dark World as given was a deliberate aesthetic and story choice.

Conceptually, Dragon Quest's Dark Worlds kind of jump around. In III, the Dark World is secretly the world of Alefgard. In IV to VI, the Dark World is basically just Hell with curiously missing VIN numbers. In VIII, by comparison, the Dark World is a kind of mirror world, without color (ignoring the red chests, which is more a necessary weasel of gameplay).

As a story function, they didn't need the Dark World for exploratory purposes (VIII's world is already HUGE, so a fully explorable OTHER world would've made the story trudge), the Dark World just needed to serve as Empyrea's prison, so they simply let you enter the Dark World in the only area relevant to her.

Still, a part of me always did wish you could explore it anyway; why go through the effort of implying an entire alternate copy of your world and then keep you stuck on a comparatively tiny chunk of it?

I did have one theory about the dark world in VIII: perhaps the rest of the dark world's population was already wiped out and that one island was the only one still inhabited by humans. In fact--some of the party chat seems to imply this with one of them (maybe Jessica?) said something about how she wondered if that island was the only remaining populace in the dark world.

Who knows.

Hmmm...interesting...

I think the small size of the grey world and the fact that it's just a recolored version of an existing region lends credence to the theory that it was a space problem, even if it might not be the true reason.

The world that's described to you before entering it is reminiscent of a traditional DQ "dark world," which usually evokes a feeling of dread or misery. This "dark world" is grey in a very literal sense to me. Instead of being some frightening and scary place, it is simply an alternate monochrome variation of the real world. I would never believe it was called the World of Darkness. Aside from Empyrea's egg was being held hostage, resulting in her terrorizing the village (if I remember right), you could barely feel Rhapthorne's influence over the world. If it wasn't so flat, you almost wouldn't mind living there.

This doesn't evoke the kind of dark world you're used to in a Dragon Quest game. There had to have been a reason, be it lack of space or crunch or sheer laziness, behind the reason not to go all out with a new region, more monster variation, and a unique village.

"Sorry, there's a space problem, we can't fit any more in."

Sounds like what she said.

Hmmm...interesting...

I think the small size of the grey world and the fact that it's just a recolored version of an existing region lends credence to the theory that it was a space problem, even if it might not be the true reason.

The world that's described to you before entering it is reminiscent of a traditional DQ "dark world," which usually evokes a feeling of dread or misery. This "dark world" is grey in a very literal sense to me. Instead of being some frightening and scary place, it is simply an alternate monochrome variation of the real world. I would never believe it was called the World of Darkness. Aside from Empyrea's egg was being held hostage, resulting in her terrorizing the village (if I remember right), you could barely feel Rhapthorne's influence over the world. If it wasn't so flat, you almost wouldn't mind living there.

This doesn't evoke the kind of dark world you're used to in a Dragon Quest game. There had to have been a reason, be it lack of space or crunch or sheer laziness, behind the reason not to go all out with a new region, more monster variation, and a unique village.

It really does feel like a space limitation issue. It really does. That was literally my first thought when I entered that place.

"Sorry, there's a space problem, we can't fit any more in."

Sounds like what she said.

Someone had to say it.  :P

• Upvote 1