Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

What is the most definitive version of Dragon Quest VIII for you?

What is the most definitive version of Dragon Quest VIII for you?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello everyone. Since it's been exactly a month since the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII was released in North America/Europe, I thought of doing a poll on which version of Dragon Quest VIII do you think is the most definitive.

Feel free to elaborate on your reasoning(s) for your choice.

I've picked "Nintendo 3DS" for the quality of life improvements and the new content.

Edited by Dakhil

I picked 3DS because I haven't played the other version, but I think the ios version would probably be the worst. It's probably between 3ds and ps2 for most people.

Definitive? The original. Loved the menus and the sense of huge world on the big screen.

The 3DS version. All the quality of life stuff from the iOS release (Tactics for the hero, quick travel menu, instant alchemy), plus new content. How could I pick anything else, haha.

Now if there was only an option to modify the flying controls... I kept going up when I wanted to descend...

PlayStation 2 version.

The 3DS version is great too though for giving us Morrie and Red as playable characters and the camera quest stuff.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Own the other versions, but have only played the PS2 version so far.

I'd say if we could get the PS2 version with the original interface, that would be tops.

3DS version. Everything it adds makes up for what it lacks from the PS2 version. That's not even counting the fact that Red automatically joining you updates the canon.

PS2 had better presentation but 3DS had more improvements. Can't really say. Depends on how you like to play games: handheld or tethered to your TV.

PS2 version. Random encounters, better graphics, orchestral soundtrack and, as someone already mentioned, just better presentation overall. Also I think DQ is much better on console.

• Upvote 1

3DS

The improvements to the gameplay mean far more to me than the PS2 version's admittedly stellar presentation.

Agreed. Graphics are low on my video gaming chart. In the end, it's all about the gameplay. That's probably the reason why I love Atari, NES and SNES so much. 

Plus, the "neon" grass in this 3DS version kind of grew on me. :P

3DS

The improvements to the gameplay mean far more to me than the PS2 version's admittedly stellar presentation.

Agreed. Graphics are low on my video gaming chart. In the end, it's all about the gameplay. That's probably the reason why I love Atari, NES and SNES so much.

That's what neon grass does, grow. Edited by Plattym3

3DS

Agreed. Graphics are low on my video gaming chart. In the end, it's all about the gameplay. That's probably the reason why I love Atari, NES and SNES so much.

That's what neon grass does, grow.

I see what you did there! 

But, ponder this--if a paper tree from Dragon Quest 8 falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it fall, does it make a sound? ;)

The 3DS version is the definitive version for me. The added content alone would make it the better version for me. Not to mention that the menu no longer suffers from that damn input lag.

I still think the PS2 version is still worth visiting. Just from the presentation alone. While graphics don't mean much to me at all, the PS2 feels slightly more immersive from the graphics and playing it on a larger screen helps out a lot. I really love the 3DS version, but I feel like it doesn't make the PS2 version obsolete. Which is a very good thing in my book.

I prefer the PS2 Version only because of how smooth it looks and how the tracks sound much better.  The new content is the only thing which had me wanting the 3ds.

I picked 3DS because I haven't played the other version, but I think the ios version would probably be the worst. It's probably between 3ds and ps2 for most people.

This would be my situation as well. But I'd think all the added content would put it over the edge.

The playstation 2 version gave us a wonderfully vibrant open world, beautifully orchestrated soundtrack plus a more graphically intricate inventory and battle menu. The 3ds version can't hope to challenge those traits, but all of the interface shortcuts, new content, like the entire Dungeon "Altar of Wroth," Memories lane and new playable characters well make up for it. On top of this new unique items released through spotpass such as the Edrick's sword and a camera system accompanied by it's own set of quests really smash the pre existing content in the game. On a side note the developers obviously paid meticulous attention to detail when revamping the title. voice acting was added for all existing and new cutscenes and the experience of the monster arena was augmented greatly with the inclusion of new infamous monsters and a punishing rank X. All in all the playstation 2 version is the original and will always retain it's sense of charm but all of the impressive new content in the 3ds version is simply a requirement to experience.

I think this weekend I'm going to try emulating DQ8 in Citra, and see how it looks. So far the 3DS version is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 version in terms of how much I enjoy the game. If I can play it in 1080p then I will no longer have a purpose for the PS2 disk (besides sitting on my Dragon Quest shelf looking pretty).

I've enjoyed the additional 3DS story content, but the PS2 version is my all-time favorite. DQ8 was released a decade after I was introduced to DW. I am so appreciative of the story, graphics and music of this game. Started re-watching my cutscene movie last night. Good times.

• Upvote 1

The PS2 version is what introduced me to the world of Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior, so this was a no-brainer.

Edited by cprmauldin

The ps2 version. The 3ds version is cool. And admittedly, I didn't get far becouse other games got in the way. But I immediately noticed that the visual downgrade and lack of orchestral music deminished my experience with the game by quite a bit. I will be playing it eventually, and I'll try to take it as its own experience. I do want to experience the new content. But I would rather play the ps2 version to be completely honest.

• Upvote 1