Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

DLC Free Item Connection and Daylight Savings Bug Fixes

The old method, shown below and crossed out, does not seem to be working for anyone who has tried it since the last server fix (after it went down with daylight savings time, and was fixed since.

A new method, started by me, but then reworked to a double check by another user, and has worked for quite a number of people is as follows:

1) Shut the system down and then turn back on.

2) Go to system settings -> other settings ->system update and try to update system. If your system is up to date, it will say so.

3) Repeat steps 1 and 2.

I do not know who added in the second check, but this has been going around the GameFAQs boards since I told someone to run this type of check, and while it may not work for everyone, so far it's been rather successful.

This also seems to fix, at least for most people, the problem with reconnecting to the server IF one has reset their clock to match daylight savings time, which seems to bug the game and it no longer connects from any amount of time from one day to continuous failing to connect.  The daylight savings time issue also affects time-related chests within the game, both Purple bonus dungeon and Blue world map treasure chests.  So if encountered, use this method and if it doesn't work, try it again the next day.  Seems to be very successful in fixing this bug, but again, for this particular bug it doesn't always work the first time.

===

Apparently it may be a timing issue with the "extra" data when it was first created, and the data for the DLC free item server.  I can claim no credit for this, the trick was discovered by a GameFAQs user named Starwind0420, and it goes like this:

Close down your game, enter "SYSTEM SETTINGS" on the 3DS home screen, and take the following directions:

Data Management -> Nintendo3DS (top left) -> Extra Data -> Dragon Quest VIII -> Delete

The photo album will be deleted, but it resets all server timer data when connecting out, allowing most (virtually everyone who has tried it) to successfully connect and get their Candy Cane.

Sadly this doesn't seem to work for everyone, and I have no idea why, but it does seem to work for the majority of people who have had issues, have tried this and found success.  Hopefully it works for you guys.  Cheers!

---

I should also like to note, if you get it on one save, it shows up on both, assuming both slots are taken.

Edited by ignasia7

Gah, I want to try this and see if it works, but I don't want to lose all my photos in-game.

I'll see what happens when I try again in the morning. If it fails, I'll need to find a way to hold onto my favorite pictures somehow.

I'd try it, but I have almost 100 pictures of Monsters I need to upload for the Den's 3DS Bestiary

No way am I attempting that.

I'll need to find a way to hold onto my favorite pictures somehow.

Remember that message I sent you.

If they save to the SD card, why not just back them up on your computer?

That's exactly true. It's how I'd get my otitis of anyway. How else are people doing so?

The trick worked. I got the Candy Cane. I'd be more excited but I'm pissed I had to clear out all my photos just to get this to work.

Bunch of bullshit.

That's exactly true. It's how I'd get my otitis of anyway. How else are people doing so?

I go through the Miiverse photo album.

I would back up my extra data from my SD card... but owning a New 3DS XL means I have to unscrew the damn back to take it out. What a terrible design...

Either way I am going to try again tomorrow before anything else and give this a shot. Thank you for the tip.

• Upvote 2

About to delete the extra data. It'll cost me a nice portrait of Trode that you can only see in the postgame, so this had better work.

About to delete the extra data. It'll cost me a nice portrait of Trode that you can only see in the postgame, so this had better work.

You could simply back up the photo since photos are saved in the SD card. Then you can delete the extra data. Edited by Dakhil

You could simply back up the photo since photos are saved in the SD card. Then you can delete the extra data.

Oh well, next time I beat the game again.

Anyone know what time the DLC resets?

I tried at 8:20 EST today and was told I already downloaded today. I tried at 11:20 EST and I got my gift. Just wondering if anyone's pinned down the exact time yet. Won't much matter when I go back to work tomorrow, but it's kinda good to know if I forget in the evening, I can snag the previous day's before work in the morning.

0:00 or 12:00am Tokyo time, which translates to 10am EST.

Same reset time for DQ7's DLC servers, 12:00am Friday morning Tokyo, 10am Thursday in NYC.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

0:00 or 12:00am Tokyo time, which translates to 10am EST.

Same reset time for DQ7's DLC servers, 12:00am Friday morning Tokyo, 10am Thursday in NYC.

Much appreciated. Never bothered to check on DQVII. I would just always find new ones on the weekend.

Since some people are still getting connection errors, and may check back here, I've updated the first page to essentially cross out, but not totally delete the first method I introduced, which seems completely ineffectual since the "daylight savings" fix, after the servers in both the NA and EU (AU uses EU it seems) regions were down and out due to daylight savings and then summarily fixed after nonstop player complaints.

This fix also addresses the daylight savings time bug that can happen for people who set their DS clocks forward (or later on, backward) and hour, as DQ8 is VERY poorly coded to handle these things (it doesn't and craps out), and triggers a bug both for the Daily Item DLC, and for the Daily Timed chests.  Both Purple and Blue treasure chests are affected.  This new method outlined in the first post seems to fix both problems.  However, if it doesn't the first time, then try again that day or the next.  Some people see a fix on the second try, or after having tried, the next day it seems to work.  So it's still a little hokey.

Cheers.

I still haven't connected once. A couple weeks ago I lost interest and stopped trying though.

I still haven't connected once. A couple weeks ago I lost interest and stopped trying though.

I'm sorry buddy.  There are a few people who have never been able to.  I cannot fathom why.  The coding for this system is just too hypersensitive, and should have had extra buffers and cross checks to assure such problems do not occur.  Well, next N3DS I get I'm cracking open, so whenever all the DLC special gear is out, I'll have a save of this game with a perfect restart, and my DQ7 Super Kiefer's ripped and ready to use.