Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

DLC items are (supposedly) becoming available

According to some European players over on GameFAQs, they have been able to download the Candy Cane scythe for Yangus from the Misc. menu.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/74965067

Could this mean the Americas will start receiving them today or within the rest of the week? I know most if not all of us are finished with the game at this point, but it's still nice players are starting to get the DLC weapons. I'll keep my eyes out for the rest of the morning on anything else until I have to go to work.

If anyone has free time today keep checking the Download Bonus Item option (especially those of us in the Americas) and see if anything becomes available.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Soon as I get home, I'll check it out.

People on the east coast are starting to say they can download the Candy Cane now.

People on the east coast are starting to say they can download the Candy Cane now.

I just tried. No dice.

I just tried. No dice.

I'm going to keep trying every half hour until noon. If you can do the same, go for it.

10 AM central time, still nothing. I'll give it another go at 11, see if an hour will make a difference.

I'm on the East Coast and I can confirm. Just got the candy cane. It's honestly a weak weapon.

It's supposed to be good for Stainless Steal Sickle (if you have that skill for Yangus of course) and fighting metal Slimes thanks to the guaranteed 1 damage if you lack Hatchet Man/Executioner.

Even more useless since I focused my skill points on both scythes and axes, so I already have Executioner.

Sweet...I'll have to check it out later.  I left off in a super hard battle in DQ7.

At least we now know a Denizen on the east coast is receiving the Candy Cane.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Even more useless since I focused my skill points on both scythes and axes, so I already have Executioner.

Executioner can still fail.  It's more effective versus normal metal slimes, but the only real use is for using SSS without needing a Skull Helm, as with the original.

At least we now know a Denizen on the east coast is receiving the Candy Cane.

Three now reporting it, two on gameFAQs.  So it seems like their servers open up around 11~12 in each timezone, or at least they're tied to actual timezone period, which is cool.

I'll check again at 11 and see what happens. If nothing pops up then, I won't be able to check again (for the central time zone) until 10 tonight.

Do we know if the items once downloaded stay unlocked no matter how many times you start a new playthrough?

I'll check again at 11 and see what happens. If nothing pops up then, I won't be able to check again (for the central time zone) until 10 tonight.

Do we know if the items once downloaded stay unlocked no matter how many times you start a new playthrough?

Once per playthrough, though according to the manual, apparently if one playthrough downloads it, both saves get it.  I don't know yet though.  I have to go eat before I can check, as I have both saves used, one just to collect all the freebies and use for new games, and the second slot for whatever my current playthrough is.

Edited by ignasia7

I've been trying it a while as well, nothing so far.

Ditto. West Coast is excluded

Checked again at 11:30 and still nothing. Would have tried at 11 but was stuck in the middle of the Dragon Gauntlet.

East Coast is beast coast.

East Coast is beast coast.

With the men, Dirty Dan, Anxiety Alex and Valorous Vinny.

I just tried. No dice.
Not dice. Candy cane.

I just tried. No dice.
Not dice. Candy cane.

Well, I don't have a leg to stand on.

Eal, how far are you in the game, Bururian, same deal.

I haven't been able to get anything yet in either save.

Edited by ignasia7

Eal, how far are you in the game, Bururian, same deal.

I haven't been able to get anything yet in either save.

Just tried again, Still no bonus items on offer.