Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

Blue Chests

Blue Chest rules

1) Blue Chests appear all over the world map in fixed spaces.

2) Blue Chests can be opened once each per real-time 24-hour period, once each day at 00:00 or 12:00am on your 3DS clock.

3) Each Blue Chest contains random items that are set when the world map loads.

4) Blue Chest items reset each time the game loads a new map, assuming that chest contains an item, or has had its 24-hour period reset. This is ONLY thing that reloads chest contents.

5) Dragon Quest VIII checks for forced time changes in the 3DS menu, so the 24-hour period cannot be reset by changing the 3DS system time zone or messing with the system clock. It will only reset the 24-hour period all over again.

6) Each blue chest is fixed to one of 5 distinct chest ranks, containing a fixed set of randomly chosen items. Each group is generally found 1 through 5 in linear fashion to the progress of the game.

7) Daily resets DO NOT alter the previous chest content.  Meaning if you save outside a chest that had a Seed of Skill, and close the game afterwards, then opened it up, or used the DLC save feature, or quicksave to turn off the game, the next time the chest respawns an item, it will contain the same item as it had before.  In this case, a Seed of Skill.  To change this, one has to reset the map as per rules #3 and 4.

So how to abuse this? One option is to use a church save, at the closest church. A few spots are very useful for this, such as some of the small churches that dot the landscape, but for many chests, using those locations, or even churches in towns can add a lot of extra time.

So the quicksave method to the rescue for either a small bit of time saving, or a huge chunk of time saved, depending on the location.

<OOO>

How?

Given point #4, and that chest contents reload on a map load, find the closest location to each Blue Chest on the map, Zoom to the nearest Zoom point, and walk towards the area closest to each Blue Chest that will load to a new map, such as a town, stop-over point, a house, castle, dungeon, tower, etc. Anything that exists as a separate map from the world map and causes a map change/load.

Open the menu with "X", click on "Misc.", then "Quick Save". Click "Yes" twice, then exit back to the world map, head towards the chest and open it. If the item is undesired, exit and reload the game, and load the "Suspended" save game. Then exit again, and repeat until the desired item is obtained.

This saves a lot of time, and it makes it possible to reset the chests for desired items much easier and faster than using a church.

<OOO>

Chest Groups

Group 1: 50/100/150 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Holy Water, Amor Seco Essence, Seed of Wisdom

Group 2: 100/200/300 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Mystifying Mixture, Special Medicine, Seed of Agility, Gold Bullion

Group 3: 200/400/600 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Rockbomb Shard, Special Antidote, Seed of Strength, Gold Bullion

Group 4: 300/600/900 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Lesser Panacea, Seed of Resilience, Seed of Life, Gold Bullion

Group 5: 400/800/1200 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Greater Panacea, Seed of Skill, Seed of Magic

<OOO>

Chest Locations

Group 1 (50/100/150 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Holy Water, Amor Seco Essence, Seed of Wisdom):

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35971&p=490612

Group 2 (100/200/300 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Mystifying Mixture, Special Medicine, Seed of Agility, Gold Bullion):

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35971&p=490612

Group 3 (200/400/600 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Rockbomb Shard, Special Antidote, Seed of Strength, Gold Bullion):

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35971&p=490613

Group 4 (300/600/900 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Lesser Panacea, Seed of Resilience, Seed of Life, Gold Bullion):

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35971&p=490614

Group 5 (400/800/1200 Gold, Magic Water, Eau de Monster, Greater Panacea, Seed of Skill, Seed of Magic):

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35971&p=490615

GameFAQs wouldn't let me post this in its cheat section, so I'm posting it here.  Not enough data for a FAQ. and not worth it to me to make one about it.  I'll include a world map later of my own make.  I just need Zenith's permission to use his.

Until then, The n00b Avenger made this makeshift one using the Brady guide as a base:

sxRCJaw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sxRCJaw.jpg

EDIT: Added in rule #7 thanks to ekomega from GameFAQs.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 4

Amazing work! Very useful.

Very cool, I will have to try this out as well

Brings back memories of when I'd play DQ9 multiplayer with my brother and sister all the time. We would farm so many blue chests. I'm glad they're back.

Sadly, it's probably the most efficient method of farming seeds, lol. I can usually get one in about 5 minutes for each chest.

Very handy, thanks for your work.

I notice there are two flight-accessible spots marked at the south end of the desert. Is that a mistake? I can only find one.

I notice there are two flight-accessible spots marked at the south end of the desert. Is that a mistake? I can only find one.

The Flight accessible always have at least one spot where, regardless of what point you trigger to land, it plants you on that particular spot.  That one area is the only spot with two spawn points for the same flight accessible area, depends on how close you are to which side when you click to land.

Those yellow stars need a border or something so that they aren't so hard to see. Otherwise, great work!

• Upvote 1

Sadly, it's probably the most efficient method of farming seeds, lol. I can usually get one in about 5 minutes for each chest.

Good job listing all these and working with n00b. I'll be using this often!

Those yellow stars need a border or something so that they aren't so hard to see. Otherwise, great work!

I know, n00b did a makeshift.  I was looking for anyone who might have the "base" model map that Brady used for its two maps, but I can't find it.  There was one awhile back, but I can't find it anymore.

So the only option for a clean map is King Zenith's, and until I get his permission, this will have to do.

I still have to sort through which yellow corresponds to which chest level post level 1, since all level 1's are Farebury and Alexandria.  I also want to get some in-game pictures to post below each section, to make this easier.

Good job listing all these and working with n00b. I'll be using this often!

Thanks. Yeah, he actually just did it out of the blue.  I didn't ask or anything.  A lot of people were asking for one, and he just went ahead and made it.

• Upvote 1

Seed farming here I come, spin case I ever feel like tackling Estark.

• Upvote 1

The Flight accessible always have at least one spot where, regardless of what point you trigger to land, it plants you on that particular spot.  That one area is the only spot with two spawn points for the same flight accessible area, depends on how close you are to which side when you click to land.

Makes sense, thanks.

Just spin case.

Just spin case.

Just spin case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU
Go go Zeppeli.

The words "Map" "King" and "Zenith" were all used in the same post here, which is the key to summoning me out of the shadows.  Ignasia7, you are free to use any map you like for any purpose you like.  Of course, by all means use the Empyrea's Eye View map, if that would best suit your needs.  Otherwise, if you prefer, you are also welcome to use this cleanly ripped in-game map (from the PS2 version) that I apparently neglected to ever provide to Woodus:

DQ8_Ingame_Overworld_Map_Clean.png

• Upvote 1

Cool, I will add that to the PS2 version, and let me know when you are all done. I will add all this to the DQ8 3DS section :thumbsup:

• Upvote 2

@King Zenith- The shadows? Are you saying you haven't been in castle Zenithia to watch over your people? Sneaking out to go to Le Club Puff-Puff, eh?

Anyway, I'm glad something about the Blue Chests has appeared on the Den. It's been fun looking for them as I've played.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

@King Zenith- The shadows? Are you saying you haven't been in castle Zenithia to watch over your people? Sneaking out to go to Le Club Puff-Puff, eh?

Actually, the truth is that I only found this topic by coincidence because I thought it was about the Girl from Avatar and / or Mystique from X-Men. ;)

Actually, the truth is that I only found this topic by coincidence because I thought it was about the Girl from Avatar and / or Mystique from X-Men. ;)

Avatar Land opens in 3 months at Disney's Animal Kingdom here in Orlando. Blue chests aplenty!

Sweet, thanks KZ.

I'm going to toy with both, see what works best.

Edited by ignasia7

If you're going to toy with one blue chest, you might as well do both!

• Upvote 1

If you're going to toy with one blue chest, you might as well do both!

That's what I always say ;)

• Upvote 1

I have pinned this and added to the Den as well

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq83ds/blue_chests.php

Let me know as you update :)

LOL, woo, cool, thanks Woodus.