Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Hey, everyone! It's been a while--FINALLY bought this today

(By the way--don't worry, I don't plan on making constant new threads for every little thing, so you can breathe easy)

Just wanted to say "hi" and to state that I FINALLY bought this puppy.

I was actually in a bit of a quandary for some time--I bought this game on mobile literally ONE WEEK before the announcement of the 3DS release. Naturally, I was kicking myself but decided to try to give the mobile version a chance.

I didn't get too far--only to the battle with the kraken/sea monster. I had to stop--the mobile version is beyond tedious to play. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get used to the controls and the lag was driving me insane. I couldn't enjoy it.

So, I finally bought the 3DS version today and...wow...THIS is the version I've been waiting for! This is much more like the PS2 version and I LOVE how they included the New 3DS' trackball button so that I can rotate with camera with it. I much prefer that method over using L/R, personally.

I'm still early into the game but I'm loving it so far and it's a welcome to finally have the voices back.

I look forward to chatting with you guys about this game as I progress. :) Good to be back!

• Upvote 2

I bought this game on mobile literally ONE WEEK before the announcement of the 3DS release. Naturally, I was kicking myself but decided to try to give the mobile version a chance.

I did the exact same thing, except I actually played all the way through the Mobile version thinking that the game was going to be so good that I by the time the 3DS version came out I would feel like replaying it anyway. Good thing I was totally right about that one, I'm having a ton of fun with the 3DS version. Going to try not to make the same mistakes I did on the mobile version though, I couldn't get very far into the postgame content because I totally screwed up my skill trees and had absolutely nothing to kill MKS with.

I bought this game on mobile literally ONE WEEK before the announcement of the 3DS release. Naturally, I was kicking myself but decided to try to give the mobile version a chance.

I did the exact same thing, except I actually played all the way through the Mobile version thinking that the game was going to be so good that I by the time the 3DS version came out I would feel like replaying it anyway. Good thing I was totally right about that one, I'm having a ton of fun with the 3DS version. Going to try not to make the same mistakes I did on the mobile version though, I couldn't get very far into the postgame content because I totally screwed up my skill trees and had absolutely nothing to kill MKS with.

I opted out of Swords with the hero this time and went with Boomerangs/Spears. I suppose Multi Thrust would work great with MKS and everything in the metal family?

• Upvote 1

I opted out of Swords with the hero this time and went with Boomerangs/Spears. I suppose Multi Thrust would work great with MKS and everything in the metal family?

All you really need is Hatchet Man.

I really enjoyed this game on mobile, what 2.5 years ago? I thought playing it recently might not make me so excited for the 3DS version. Nah, not really. Enjoying it all over again again.

All you really need is Hatchet Man.

Yeah, but in my original playthrough I went with the following:

Hero -Swords + Courage -Was amazing other than not having Multithrust/Lightning Thrust.

Yangus - Scythes + Humanity - Humanity was great. Kerplunk + Multiple prayer rings saved my ass in the final boss once or twice, but I absolutely hated scythes; nothing very useful on them at all.

Jessica - Fisticuffs + Sex Appeal - Dear god what was I thinking... I Sex appeal is pretty useful in normal fights, but fisticuffs... why?

Angelo -  Staves + Charisma - Staves are absolutely amazing, but I never got too much out of Charisma. Still he ended up easily being my team's MVP.

This time I'm going 

Hero - Spears + Courage

Yangus - Axes + Humanity

Jessica  - Whips mainly, with a tiny bit into Sex appeal and Staves to get some useful spells/abilities.

Angelo - Bows with a bit into Charisma and Staves for similar reasons to Jessica.

Red/Morrie - ????? Don't have them yet and have no idea what kind of skill trees they have (Don't spoil it for me please)

I've just started the part where you take prince charmless to his triel, and so far this has been working quite well. Jessica is still the weakest link in my team, but I'm hoping that once I get better whips and skills it will be fine. Still shes doing a heck of a lot better than last game.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

It's weird, isn't it? There is something so...different about the 3DS version--more enjoyable. I love the voice acting and it feels almost like the PS2 version.

PS: What IS the best skill tree set for post game? I feel like I'm going down the wrong path but I'm still early into it.

• Upvote 1

It's weird, isn't it? There is something so...different about the 3DS version--more enjoyable. I love the voice acting and it feels almost like the PS2 version.

PS: What IS the best skill tree set for post game? I feel like I'm going down the wrong path but I'm still early into it.

Just make sure you have Lightning Thrust (Hero/Spear) and/or Executioner (Yangus/Axes) by post game and you can grind MKS to whatever you want. You could also use the Lesser versions of the two skills (Thunder Thrust and Hatchet Man Respectively) but it's not as consistent. From what I've heard there's a repeatable boss fight in the post game with guarantee seed of skill drops so theoretically if you can get to a level where you can farm that you can max everything.

I had bought the smartphone version of DQ8 long ago, soon after it came out. So I was fine :D

It was a bit tedious to play yes, until I played the 3DS version with the trackball thingy....................
That's when I really appreciated the smartphone's feature to run automatically and move the camera SO FREELY instead of being stuck with that tiny thing that barely works on 3DS -.-

I've actually been so mad at the 3DS' version fonts as well that I'm also able to last longer playing the smartphone version without getting triggered when I read. The text is really nice, well of course it's a smartphone, so it's practically HD, but the 3DS could have still looked at least normal in this aspect.

The framerate totally wins on 3DS as well as the speed up and having voices, of course, but at least the framerate I got kind of used to.
Between PS2, Smartphones and 3DS, I'd say this game is still lacking a proper version of itself.

You can at least farm skill seeds out of blue chests in this version of the game.

• Upvote 1