Sign in to follow this  
Rock_DJ

Favorite main hero designs?

A big part of why I'm such a huge fan of the DQ franchise is because of the art design. I adore Toriyama's unique style, which to me, sets itself apart from anime as a whole.

To me, Toriyama's style is up there with Miyazaki himself (or the other way around), above every other anime style. I really hope the series never goes into another art direction, even after Toriyama retires.. hopefully they'll hire people who can draw exactly like him!

Anyway, I would like to rank the DQ main heroes in order of what I consider to be most appealling/unique to me. Hope everyone shares their own list too!

dq5_zps09aoh0yl.jpg

This one's a bit on the simple side. White toga underneath purple cape and turbant, Madason doesn't strike me as a warrior, nor an adventurer, but more of a full-time wanderer. It's probably due to the fact that he wields a staff (+ cape). His appearance also hides what he really is, throwing you off throughout the whole game without you knowing it (unless you suspected it from that first scene?).

He definitely doesn't look like your average jRPG hero, that's for sure!

dq7_zpsj8qe5h0e.jpg

This one's an odd one. He doesn't look like a warrior, and not much of an adventurer. He sort of reminds me of a Hobbit, even, but maybe that's what I find appealling about him. Just an ordinary villager who embarks on a big journey, kinda like Frodo Baggins. I haven't played DQ7 yet... but "Seven's" charming design makes me want to buy it soon! (But I'd really really like for it to be on Mobile devices...! Come on, Square-Enix! I want all of my games on the same system!).

dq1_zpsegeyvdtt.jpg

He looks slightly buffer than the usual DQ protagonist (the non-chibi version anyway), and with good reason. He's apparently a wanderer who immediately sets off as a hero to rid the world of the Dragonlord. The armor is really cool-looking, so that's about all I can say about him. The blue and red gives him a particularly unique combination not seen in later heroes'.

dq3_zpsyojpxpep.jpg

The legendary hero/heroine "Erdrick" is designed in a way that you know he/she is a hero from the moment you see him/her. I personally have grown to love the blue+mustard yellow color combination thanks to him (and Princess Alena from DQIV). The silver tiara he wears gives him more of a respectable status, even royalty, although he's not (throughout the game, at least).

dq11_zpsh0urepst.jpg

Bringing back the trenchcoat, this purple wearing character is already pleasing to the eye, wearing his long hair down, is the first "pretty boy"-like character to be a protagonist in the series. Just like Eight from DQ8, he gives off this Adventurer feeling which makes me want to cover every last blade of grass in the world, every dungeon, and every inch of a possible dark world. I really can't wait to play as him in DQXI.

dq2_zpspr9qmtkt.jpg

The prince of Midenhall has a particularly unusual outfit. It's a sort of steampunk-like WW1 pilot-knight. His dominant blue color scheme makes him stand out in his own way from the rest. Not to mention the fact that his hair color borders a complete mistery, although his eyebrows narrow it down to brown or blond hair. This somehow gives him an additional layer of mistery that no other character seems to have.

dq4-b_zpsebeucsiy.jpg

I have a weakness for green-haired ladies in anime. I don't know what is it about green hair in general, but it's enough to make a female character instantly appealing to me... Only Sofia wears it up like an afro! Now, this doesn't look as stunning (to me), at least not in the way that makes me fall in love with her, but MAJOR points because she still manages to look cool, in an oldschool Red Sonja meets Cell Saga Bulma type of way, AND she's the first main character to ever use an afro (in a jRPG). So she still stands out from the usual videogame hero. The 80's gym spandex she uses could have been something else, though. But Sofia still looks great.

dq6_zpsmpchu8ds.jpg

I'm a sucker for spiky upwards hair. This guy gives off the "warrior" vibe more than anyone else. Maybe looking the most like a DBZ character is partly the blame, but he just looks like an awesome fighter. Backed up by an amazing battle system, I feel like this guy can survive just about anything. I also love the orange cloth underneath the gi.

dq4_zpszu1jloh0.jpg

The color scheme is pretty out there. Teal/aqua with green and a touch of gold. The long green hair, the slime earrings, and that weird as heck crown/tiara he uses with those bizarre golden wing-ears, screams everything BUT normal. There aren't a lot of jRPG heroes out there who wear green, but I think this guy pulls it off the best.

He looks like a legendary hero even before you get to know him, especially since he was just some guy living in a small, isolated village. (Then again, don't all legendary heroes start out this way?)

dq8_zpsig81hm5k.jpg

The blue clothes, red/orange bandana, and the yellow trenchcoat makes this character stand out from among the rest in terms of uniqueness, and still make him look like an average joe, making him easy to relate to. He uses the emblematic yellow-blue color scheme that (DQ3) Erdrick uses, and gives it a slight modern twist by not having a trenchcoat instead of a cape. He looks like an experienced adventurer, and early on you know he used to be a Trodian soldier. But if you think he doesn't look like he's got warrior material, just wait till he reaches 100 points of tension! (At least on the US PS2 version, anyway).

-

So this was my list. Know what's funny? I would rate the supporting cast to all these guys/girls in almost the exact same order! Maybe Bianca/Deborah/Nera/Madchen/Parry could go a lot higer..

Sidequest: What are all of these heroes names, anyway? I only know of Erdrick, Solo, Sofia, Madason, Eight, and Nine.

Going to toss these here for anyone to use:

dq9_zpsok8ao7q2.jpgdq10_zpsukcsuyw5.jpg

(In the future I might add the Monsters and Spinoff main heroes icons as well).

Edited by Rock_DJ

IV and VII's heroes have my favorite designs.

IV's hero and heroine, VI, III, then everybody else.

• Upvote 1

IV's Hero and Heroine, VIII, and VII lead the charge for me.

IV and V takes the cake for me

I really like them all, but I have to agree that VIII's protagonist has the best design, with V being a close second. If we take into account factors other than design however, V is my definite favorite.

DQIII Hero is my favorite design. I really loved the Dragon Quest heroes redesign, too.

It is closely followed by the DQVIII Hero design.

VIII's. VI also wins the prize for having the most horrifically generic Akira Toriyama design.

Bandana hero, hobo link, and not goku are my favorites.

Those are funny ways to spell BlindJim, TastyBob, and SleepyMo.

you don't like Gohan, and Super Saiyan God Goku before Super Saiyan God was a thing?

My favorite is the VII Hero, because he looks like a dopey dork and doesn't look like the kind of person to go off fighting monsters and saving the world. It's pretty implied too- in the original, the hero's mom says something about her son "being a bit slow" when you talk to her with Melvin, and other characterss comment on how you don't look strong at all. There's something cooler to me about a kid who ISN'T strong going off on an adventure, becoming strong by the end, and proving everyone wrong, versus most of the other heroes, who already look pretty tough and cut out for adventuring.

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 1

My favorite is the VII Hero, because he looks like a dopey dork and doesn't look like the kind of person to go off fighting monsters and saving the world. It's pretty implied too- in the original, the hero's mom says something about her son "being a bit slow" when you talk to her with Melvin, and other characterss comment on how you don't look strong at all. There's something cooler to me about a kid who ISN'T strong going off on an adventure, becoming strong by the end, and proving everyone wrong, versus most of the other heroes, who already look pretty tough and cut out for adventuring.

VIII has a much more dopey protagonist. His facial expressions lean more on the "Huh? Wuh?" side than any other.

• Upvote 1

There's something particularly endearing about hero number five. He looks like he's on his own quest instead of saving the world.

There's something particularly endearing about hero number five. He looks like he's on his own quest instead of saving the world.

That's because he pretty much is until the last part of the game.

Could I vote for Amos?

In DQVI the second I get him, he becomes the person in front of my party so I feel like a real hero is leading us.

Edited by Plattym3

Could I vote for Amos?

In DQVI the second I get him, he becomes the person in front of my party so I feel like a real hero is leading us.

You are a wonderful person. This is why we're twins!

Amos definitely works for the first slot of the party. Plus he has some hilarious party chat, so that's the icing on the cake.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Could I vote for Amos?

I'm confused... Amos?

Wasn't that the guy who turned into a monster at night? So he's actually PLAYABLE?

If it's true... then omg... I KNEW I was missing a character! And I already poured so much time into that game... Beat Dark Nocturnus (barely) and everything too. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, you can recruit Amos. As long as you give him the cure and DON'T tell him about his beastly transformations, Amos joins you.

Could I vote for Amos?

I'm confused... Amos?

Wasn't that the guy who turned into a monster at night? So he's actually PLAYABLE?

If it's true... then omg... I KNEW I was missing a character! And I already poured so much time into that game... Beat Dark Nocturnus (barely) and everything too.

Oh my damn! I figured in the Internet age, nothing like this would still be secret. Glad I could shine light on this. Yep. Follow YangustheLegendaryBandit's advice and he's yours.

Could I vote for Amos?

I'm confused... Amos?

Oh my damn! I figured in the Internet age, nothing like this would still be secret. Glad I could shine light on this. Yep. Follow YangustheLegendaryBandit's advice and he's yours.

Ah, heh, well I tend to avoid all information on the game I'm playing (especially DQ) until I'm done with them. And I usually despise spoilers, because once it's in my head, it will never leave, no matter how unimportant it is. 

But in this case, I don't mind, since I already beat the game. I know I was going to choose the opposite of all of my past choices in my 2nd run, but I would have probably forgotten what they were by then. And I kind of suspected there was a hidden character in DQ6 because I remembered fan art.

Anyway, thanks! Now on my 2nd, and all future, DQVI runs, I'll be sure to recruit Amos.

Sounds like a fun characer to use. I had Curie in his spot. 

• Upvote 1