Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

Dragon Quest VIII daily item download campaign...

...something that should have been posted here, but hasn't yet.  I'll assume no one who posts between here and GameFAQs has seen it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/74910309

I realize I'm not friendly with almost everyone here at this point, and I have probably no friends here anymore with one exception, so ignore your sentiments about me, and please focus on the task at hand.

Dragon Quest VIII has a feature that's not fully implemented.  The Free Daily Download Item.  This feature was advertised.  It was part of the various Nintendo websites until sometime after release, as part of the "new features."  It's listed in the manual, twice, first for a basic explanation for the menu the feature is under, the Misc. menu, and secondly for the feature itself, in a section explaining the online features of the game (at the very end).  This was also mentioned in a recent Nintendo of Canada twitter poll covering the new features of DQVIII 3DS, and which people like the most.

Now, for those who might say they removed it...no, they didn't.  Why do we know this?  Well, the Canadian poll is a deadringer on its own.  The manual listing is another deadringer.  However, the most clear-cut evidence is that the feature is both present on-cart, AND we can connect to the servers, but it states no item is available.  This means the code that runs the servers are up and running, not turned off, or we would get a connection error, ala DQVC in DQIX.

This has to be remedied.  This has to be fixed.

THE CAMPAIGN ITSELF:

SE makes the decisions on what happens with content in DQ releases, not Nintendo. That said, we need to use both avenues.

So apparently the US and EU sites initially discussed the daily download feature. The US site pulls the page about a week prior to release, while the EU site kept it up until either yesterday or today.

It could be they're having technical issues, or it could be that SE, who would run/maintain those servers, decided it's not priority, and is trying to clean up the mess by requesting Nintendo pull any data on it. It's bad enough that Dragon Quest VII released with two glaring bugs, one game ending if triggered and saved over. No patches, but at least we figured out workarounds. This however, is a feature that was used to help advertise the game. This is something we were promised that is part of the game, and really amounts to unlock codes to unlock items in the game itself, but that are only accessible through either cheat devices, hacking the game, or this download feature.

We should at least get an answer as to the status.

Like with all campaigns, all responses must be handled with a level head, a business-esque perspective, and respectful language.

Submit tickets to SE through the iOS/Android support ticket portal:

https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=9921&la=1

- Category "Game Content"
- Sub-Category "Gameplay"
- Contact Details "DQVIII 3DS doesn't have its DLC"
- Click "Next"
- Click "Proceed to Email Support"

- Make sure to mention this is for the 3DS version, and that due to all Nintendo handled releases on the DS, we know full well SE handles what happens and it's their game anyway, so they SHOULD take some measure of responsibility to assure this is there.

Example (please write your own, it works better if it has that personal touch):

Dear SE support,

Dragon Quest VIII for Nintendo 3DS does not have a support page, despite this being your game, so I am left with this option to send any support. Due to how all DQ games have been handled, in terms of online content, when Nintendo produces the game in the NA/EU regions, I am well aware that it is your company that handles online content, and what is/isn't distributed. This game was sold on the fact it has an online daily item reward feature, where we connect to Nintendo run servers to get a free item. This is a feature new to the 3DS version I was looking forward to utilizing. Recently all information on both Nintendo websites has been pulled concerning the existence of this feature, but you cannot hide this feature exists because the game still has the function in the menu system. It still attempts to connect.

I, and all other players, are well aware that this feature only sends unlock codes for items already present in game, and I, for having paid money for this game, would like to see a feature that costs literally nothing, due to the size of packets being so small all ISPs in every country for the past 15 years, just write off and ignore as it costs them nothing to upload, restored. Please restore this. I, and the entire NA and EU fanbase, due to DQVC, are DQMJ2 experience, are well aware it is your company that decides this. This is unacceptable to turn this feature off, as it should be a simple thing to apply and assure runs smoothly. It should not be an issue.

Please restore the daily DLC content. Thank you, we know you want to support DQ in the West, and we want to see you succeed. Help us help you.

For Nintendo, two phone numbers:

1) Toll-free General Service Phone number: 1-855-877-9099

2) Toll-free Customer Service number: 1-800-255-3700

I'm not sure which is better, but I imagine the 1-800 number.

UPDATE: According to Nintendo, call SE: 1-858-790-7529

NoA's twitter

NoC's twitter

NoE's twitter
SE's twitter

DQ's twitter

CRITICAL INFO:

Ok, so after having a long conversation with SE and Nintendo:

1) Nintendo says SE handles it.

2) SE says this time, unlike the DS releases, they have literally NO documentation about the game at all. This means this time Nintendo really did take the burden, or at least that's what it appears to be, and thus the main responsible party is now up in the air as neither party will handle their end, and only Nintendo offers support that they won't acknowledge.

I'm inclined to believe SE this time.

According to the guy, if I speak to Nintendo again, to get some information on what Nintendo wants SE to do, as they have no information on where the server is, what the game is classified as, how to access it, etc. Just to know how to proceed.

So I'll more than likely call up SE later on.

Apparently the way Nintendo now contracts out for publishing is they handle all the support and everything else. This was done this way for Bravely Second, according to the SE support rep.

The same seems to be with DQ7, in that they have literally no info, and any patches for that game would be, legally, entirely handled by Nintendo.

3) My main reason for believing this time it's Nintendo's responsibility is the legalese indicates Nintendo is handling both games entirely, at least as far as maintenance. This is probably why the DS games had SE support tickets despite Nintendo publishing (6, 9, Joker 2), but the 3DS games do not (7 and 8).

USEFUL INFO...BEST REP CONVERSATION YET (might get something done):

Holy crap. Perfect time to call into Nintendo.

So I asked to speak to a supervisor, and low and behold, it's a guy named Eric who is a DQ fan, who also has DQ8 (and 7).

So I managed to get two things documented, and hopefully both are fixed.

1) This problem.

2) Hopefully a potential bug fix/patch for DQ7's Maribel bug....crap I totally forgot about the second bug to fix, the monster meadows...sorry guys. I was a bit excited at the prospect of actually talking to someone from Nintendo (or even SE for that matter) who has actually played a DQ game, let alone a fan. 100% of the time it's someone who knows of the series, but hasn't played.

Anyway, hopefully something is done for both.

I'm going to call into SE tomorrow, for now I've got stuff to do.

===

So, I bet you're wondering, why am I crawling back here to ask/beg for your help?  You're a DQ fansite, and SHOULD want this fixed.  Especially when this is the most commonly favoured game of the general crowd.  This needs as much attention as is possible, and the more people calling in, writing in, the sooner this is fixed, and the sooner positive changes happen.  It also helps both businesses assure the DQ series is treated with the respect it deserves here, that we, as paying customers, get what we paid for, or have at least adequate conversation where real facts are disclosed to us, and, finally, it also helps both Nintendo and SE work out kinks in their contracts with other releases.  So consider the repercussions in ignoring this and letting it slide.

I'm not saying to be upset or anything.  I'm not.  I am saying we need this fixed asap, as it builds up a rapport, and a mindset in THEM, and in US, to expect better.  Especially when SE really wants to see the DQ series rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and draw closer to the recognition and growth potential it deserves outside of Japan.

Thank you for those who do wish to join.  I greatly appreciate any help.

I have a hard time trying to get my 2ds online, for some reason it won't connect to any server including my internet service at home :(

I have a hard time trying to get my 2ds online, for some reason it won't connect to any server including my internet service at home :(

Does it give you any particular errors?

I guess I was 1% partially right. 73e73acd2d2b2ef28476a537ec03d039.jpg

Alright, I'm a moron who can't handle large text without it being broken up every few sentences so could one of you tell me exactly what I should all do? I know I need to submit the ticket so far. 

Do I call up SE or Nintendo? Do I call up both? 

• Upvote 1

Alright, I'm a moron who can't handle large text without it being broken up every few sentences so could one of you tell me exactly what I should all do? I know I need to submit the ticket so far. 

Do I call up SE or Nintendo? Do I call up both? 

Both.  Focus on Nintendo.

According to SE, after talking to reps of both, and going up the chain a bit, Nintendo's contract for DQ7 and 8 3DS imply they have 100% full control.  So in this case SE has no paperwork of any kind.  Back with DQ9, way back, we did two campaigns on two separate years for the DQVC online service.  Back then SE had paperwork, but very little, and kept referring us back to Nintendo.

In the DQ9 debacle, and it's the same here, both companies are pointing fingers at the other.  However Nintendo actually has stuff in their systems regarding DQ's 7 and 8.  In this case, we care about DQ8.

So, I say focus more on Nintendo.  However, it would be a good idea to get SE to inquire themselves about DQ8, by also calling/sending in support tickets through their system.

TL;DR  Do both.

I guess I was 1% partially right. 73e73acd2d2b2ef28476a537ec03d039.jpg

LOL, uh, yeah, sort of.  Though at least the server's ARE up, just not fully functional.  Since you can connect to them, and there are no error codes, just no items available yet.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for making a post about this. I already submitted a ticket about this last night, but hoping more tickets will give us some type of answer.

• Upvote 1

Put in a ticket and tweeted it out, thanks for the heads up

• Upvote 1

Just like the DQVC debacle...  I'm even sadder to learn there has, apparently, been some sort of disagreement here in my absence.  I'm still cool with you, Iggy (and everyone here).

• Upvote 1

I'm going to speak in my gaming circles and see if I can garner some support on Steam as well as via my older connections in the VGM (Video Game Music) social circles.

• Upvote 1

The server IS up and running for the free item.  It's just not distributing.  So it's not a cancelled feature.  Likely the biggest issue is Nintendo is entirely focus on the Switch release, and with the attention given to server updates and because so much of the Switch is focused on online play, it's more likely that's the biggest hold-up for us than anything.

I've yet to hear back from Nintendo.  I'm a bit busy after this, and later tomorrow I should have extra time to make more calls and see where this goes.

Edited by ignasia7

I put in a ticket, we'll see where it goes. 

I didn't even see this topic until 5 minutes ago.

• Upvote 2

Thank you to everyone who has participated so far. I'm rather shocked at the lack of views and overall support though, but I expected that would happen. Getting the Den to participate in the DQVC campaign the first time was like pulling teeth. The second campaign didn't even get off the ground here until redneckpride got involved. Even then, aside from a front page support window, due to redneck requesting it, few joined.

Listen. Let's be real. Have you done the research and seen how many people here bought the game? It's not tons. And there really aren't that many people here period that post or are active, just check out who's posting in the DQVIII forums in general, it's like 5 people. You're reading far too much into these situations and burning the few bridges remaining. Edited by Plattym3

Thank you to everyone who has participated so far. I'm rather shocked at the lack of views and overall support though, but I expected that would happen. Getting the Den to participate in the DQVC campaign the first time was like pulling teeth. The second campaign didn't even get off the ground here until redneckpride got involved. Even then, aside from a front page support window, due to redneck requesting it, few joined.

Listen. Let's be real. Have you done the research and seen how many people here bought the game? It's not tons. And there really aren't that many people here period that post or are active, just check out who's posting in the DQVIII forums in general, it's like 5 people. You're reading far too much into these situations and burning the few bridges remaining.

Fair enough.

IT'S ONLINE!  THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO CALLED/WROTE IN, ETC!

Please excuse the all caps, but thank you very much for helping to push get this fix.  The Candy Cane is now up and ready to be downloaded.

KZ or Woodus, if you could lock this since it's no longer necessary, that would be great!  Thank you!

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2