Sign in to follow this  
kleev_55

DQ VIII 3DS is great but, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FONT?

Ok, I'm really, really upset right now.

I know there's a thread for complaints, and it was sort of mentioned there:

The text also seems to grow bigger in certain instances.

I have a complaint about this same issue that prevents me from enjoying almost the WHOLE game:

The fonts are too blurry.

Everything every character says in dialogue boxes will be blurred, as well as item descriptions.

Every time I have to read, my eyes feel like I need to rub them to see clearly, and it really messes up my the enjoyment.

I couldn't play beyond 2 hours. I have no desire to go back to it like this. Here are high res pics of the 3DS screen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3TM2iEUMAAno9X.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3TSIgZW8AI7T8m.jpg:large

Compare the "Headwear" word. Look at each of its letters, especially the "a".

Now compare that "a" with the one in the word "normal" or the word "treasure".

Even with this high res screenshot, my eyes really hate trying to read this. I feel like a CD laser trying to read a disc that you just found in the trash.

Why can't everything look as clear as the word "headwear" or the names of the items and menus?

I need to talk to characters to enjoy this game and read the story...

Dragon Quest VII text looked a lot better.

https://s5.postimg.org/w1imghwqv/DQ7_text.png

My eyes don't have trouble reading this, though it isn't perfect either, I wouldn't complain about it in DQ VII.

This is so mind blowing to have something like this in 2017. I can't emphasize enough how behind the times this is.

This is something that we all need to get together and request that it be fixed. Patch updates exist for a reason.

The only problem is that I think I'm gonna be alone in this when it's obviously still a big issue.

I have seen some blurry text, but neither of those pics were hard for me to read.

It seems some people are just more bothered by it than others which also depends on the 3DS they're using.

I'm a graphic designer myself, something like this is unacceptable at my small home office.

Actually this is unacceptable anywhere.

This CAN come as the result of text misplacement. For example, the 3DS seems to have a graphical engine that allows images to have smooth movement, so that instead of a pixel on point A and then on point B the next frame , it will create a few frames of this pixel being blurred into its next position.

But that is easier to explain if I just show this:

https://s5.postimg.org/92lwxl0qv/Text_move_PS2.gif

Photoshop does something similar for text too, as you can see, it looks different depending where it is. So, I'm just guessing that the 3DS does something similar (like in Pokémon when you see your menu with sprites of Pokemon jumping) and the blurred text in DQ8 might just be the result of this misplacement. Fonts DO need to be softened for the smaller screens in the regular sized 3DS, but only as much as the word "Headwear" in that example, not more, just like basically every other game on 3DS.

So they just left it in the wrong position, and built all cartridges like that. UGHHH

A google search of "Dragon Quest blurry text" does reveal that other people are having problems.

Edited by kleev_55

Blurry text hasn't been an issue for me, but overall, I'd say the font is a bit of a mess at times. Not enough to really bother me, mind. Just something I've picked up on. The aforementioned sizing issue is the most prominent.

Sometimes the font looks a little more pixelated. I only notice it when there isn't a black box behind the text.

Sometimes the font looks a little more pixelated. I only notice it when there isn't a black box behind the text.

When there isnt a black box, at least that I noticed, is in the middle of battles when white text pops up in the air.

That text is fine though, it does look a bit rough on the edges, but reading it is totally fine.

In battle though, the text that appears on the bottom describing what's happening, as well as the results of battle, inside the box, that's messed up.

I've noticed this too, though I haven't had any trouble reading it. On the other hand, DQ7's font was difficult for me to read.

To be more clear of where the main differences are, I made this pic:

DQ8_Text_blur2.png

Edited by kleev_55

It looked pretty fine to me, didn't have any issue reading anything in the game.

I'm honestly never looking close enough to care.

Well then, it looks I'll be selling DQ8 3DS and am gonna wait like 10 more years for it to get remade again, hopefully properly :)

At least if they don't fix this within a year by a work of miracle of them randomly caring for this without anyone complaining to them.

Thanks for your input guys.

Oh, here's a game from PS2 that got ported to 3DS, and its font was perfectly remade, why couldnt DQ8 do something this clear and sharp?
https://s5.postimg.org/j50p0bfnr/Abyss_3_DS.jpg

Edited by kleev_55

That's a bit much over game font....

That's a bit much over game font....

Every time I try the game, and I did it just now as I'm typing this reply, I try to get used to it but I always end up feeling like there's dirt in my eyes and feel the urge to rub. Every dialogue box. I even just played it side by side Dragon Quest VII, and it's frustrating that the menu options of VIII look even better than everything in VII, but not the dialogue boxes or item descriptions.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of 3DS have you been playing on? I've been playing this (and played VII) on my original black 3DS, and other than a few times the text being a bit hard to read in VII (I blame that on my poor vision though) the text has never been blurry or off. Really the only time I noticed text being somewhat pixelated in VIII was with the very first battle against slimes. After that, nothing.

I haven't seen any blurriness on my New 3DS.

• Upvote 1

New 3DS XL. (I own an XL and a New XL, both same thing) Yeah, the XL does bring out the detail more than the regular. I actually intend to test this game on a regular 3DS when my friend can bring his, just so I can see why people aren't noticing it.

Some people believe that the XL makes things uglier though, that's false, because both have the same specs for the screen, it's just people don't see it as easily on a regular 3DS. I can for example put the system a bit farther away from me and the blurryness becomes less obvious. But I don't like that, I really really appreciate sharp, nice graphics. I'm the one always complaining when a game has some pixels off, or 480i was used on a 240p game, or PC game ports stretched wrong.

I haven't seen any blurriness on my New 3DS.

Do you have a smartphone with a good camera or just a good digital camera?
Take a close up picture of the item menu with a description showing below (any item)

Edited by kleev_55

Maybe you should go to the eye doctor. This might be a personal problem, because even though I have seen some blurry text, I can still read it just fine.

If it isn't an eye problem, then you might just be blowing this out of proportion.

• Upvote 2

If it isn't an eye problem, then you might just be blowing this out of proportion.

And here I was starting to think it was everyone else here who needed an eye doctor because almost no one's noticing it XD

At least my vision is so clear to me that I am able to see this really perfectly messed up, and I do see that no other game I ever played is like this.

And I've played lots of games, including nearly every Dragon Quest to this point.

BTW, I found real screenshots of the game and compared them to a DS Dragon Quest game, as well as applied a blurry filter to it to show you just how much it resembles DQ8, and how blind everyone else is not to care about something like this.

I think this is worthy of blowing out of proportion.

DQ8_blurry_screenshots.png

I went and looked closer, and the only one I can see what you're talking about is the item descriptions, and even then it's super subtle, to the point where I didn't notice at all until I looked really closely.

That blur filter on DQIV is worse, but it's still bearable. Reminds me of VII on the PS1. I really don't think it's hard to read any of VIII's text, especially to the point where you have to rub your eyes.

Edited by gooieooie

We all have our pet peeves. I can see the difference in these two, but when I play the game I see absolutely nothing that sticks out to me whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

We all have our pet peeves. I can see the difference in these two, but when I play the game I see absolutely nothing that sticks out to me whatsoever.

Same. I've gotten over the music change, which was my biggest pet peeve. I still prefer the orchestral soundtrack when it comes to DQ8, but the synth/midi has grown on me, because some songs do sound alright.

I guess the only suggestion I can give to you kleev is to try and not think about the text too much. I know with this being an RPG it's hard NOT to pay attention to the text, but keep playing and before you know it the way the text looks will be in the back of your mind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

My thoughts exactly.

Same. I've gotten over the music change, which was my biggest pet peeve. I still prefer the orchestral soundtrack when it comes to DQ8, but the synth/midi has grown on me, because some songs do sound alright.

I guess the only suggestion I can give to you kleev is to try and not think about the text too much. I know with this being an RPG it's hard NOT to pay attention to the text, but keep playing and before you know it the way the text looks will be in the back of your mind.

Thanks. I'll try to do that then.

And yeah, the item descriptions have it worse than normal game dialogue. It's not about being able to read or not, because obviously I can, it is just irritating to know that everything could look as clear as the menu options. *sigh*

• Upvote 1

My guess it's the compression for the font and whatever language the player has it set to. Localized versions have, what, 4-5 times the text of the originals? IX had a somewhat similar compression.

My guess it's the compression for the font and whatever language the player has it set to. Localized versions have, what, 4-5 times the text of the originals? IX had a somewhat similar compression.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/516663-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies-nintendo-ds.png

Is this not the font for Dragon Quest IX?

It looks as sharp as can be. The font itself is a little strange but nothing i'd ever complain about.