Added Infamous Monsters

So I've started my adventuring in Dragon Quest VIII for the 3DS, and along the way I encountered a fencing fox that was an infamous monster.  The monster is known as "Teen Fox" and he was not in the original PS2 title. That got me excited as I always wanted a fencing fox in my monster party, but also got me wondering what other monsters were added

I've been searching around for a list for a list of the new infamous monsters added to the 3DS version but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Figured I ask the Dragon Quest fans themselves if they know of one, or if you encountered any other of these recruitable monsters added?

I haven't encountered any myself, but this is supposedly the list of new monsters added:

Lips

2 Mischievous Moles

Spiked hare

Imp

Chimaera

Fencing Fox

Funghoul

Morphean Mushroom

Mushroom Mage

Mud Mannequin

Lump Wizard

Phantom Swordsman

Hawk Man

Demon Thunderer

Hades Condor

Soulspawn

Spitnik

Dark Star

Solaris

Tortured Soul

Dark Minister

Hellstalker

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, while I was super stoked for a recruitable Fencing Fox, I can sadly confirm that he won't be lasting the long run. Sword of Dusk nailed the list, but if you want any in depth deets on a particular monster, I got a guy

• Upvote 2

I've been told that none of the new monsters are particularly strong, so they're really just there to be collector's items, so to speak.

It's a shame they didn't add stronger monsters, as the new ones seemed geared toward the lower ranks.

The only recruitable monsters are those with dialing swords over their heads. You won't be able to recruit them until you can enter/join the monster arena.

Unless they've added a new feature to the 3DS version, no. You could always find a full list and keep it handy somewhere.

Yeah I figured the fencing fox was not going to be the strongest of monsters, its never has been. It took allot of work to make it a formidable monster in the Dragon Quest Monster games, and we much more limited in what we can do in Dragon Quest VIII regarding monsters. Still it was welcoming considering I always had a fencing fox in my monster party whenever it available. It be fun to see how far in the monster arena I can get with him. Best I can do is make sure I'm a high level to help give him a bit of an edge at least.

Thanks for the list! Trying to get a good idea who to pair with him, try to extend just how far I can use him in the arena. It does suck to hear allot of the newer ones are lower ranking. Would have loved if they added a new group that could merge and transform. My old party in the PS2 game was the three Golems that fused into the Super Golem, so hoping they might have sneaked another fusion like that into the 3DS version. Still happy I can have my fencing fox at least. Doing the monster arena again really makes me want Joker 3 though...

If you like Fencing Fox, you'd prefer Iru Ruka compared to Joker 3. I think you and I both tried out best to run this guy competitively. I've been successful in Joker2 Pro, but...Yeah, it's not possible in te version the US got

I found the Mushroom Mage infamous monster! You can find her in the hills above Desert Chapel (leave the chapel and head northwest-ish to the house in the mountains) and her name is Psychedelia (Madge when recruited). I'm not sure if I've encountered any other ones yet.

• Upvote 1

It is a shame I was hoping "Night Fox" and "Volpone" would have been included. ((Big time since it seems some others got their variation...))  I recall in the PS2 version there was opponents that had all three versions of the fencing fox, and was jealous I could not get them. They could even added their pun and have "The Three foxeteers". XP No fair they can scout them!

Still my best bet with the fencing fox might be a sword party...I think there is a perk for having three sword users. I don't know if it be more effective then trying to have a magical monster of some kind follow by a overall powerful monster. I'll have to research a good matching team.

In the meantime I can just keep training to get strong to help. Level 48 and my fencing fox status is currently "HP: 654, MP:19 Attack: 254, Defense 215, and Agility: 156." He keeps growing stronger as I level, so hopefully if I push it to max level it will make him a strong force...at least compared to what he be up against in terms of the arena, not other stronger monsters I can personally own.

Edited by DragonQuestHero

From what I've geen able to gather, for some reason Fox doesn't count as a sword user. I may be wrong on that, heck I'm HOPING I misread it, but there really is no love for these guys

• Upvote 1

Yeah he is not considered a sword user sadly, I did not try pairing him with beast yet. I managed to get through Rank A with him, Men-At-Arms and Axoraptor...which was a rather tough fight but all three monsters manged to hold out. I've yet to try Rank S, sadly I don't think it will end well...but going to try find other monsters see if I can find a better pairing. The fact he good at dodging has been a good life saver many times. It a shame there not much love for them, one of my favorite monsters.
Still yet to find any new ones that are really helpful, but I've not reach Argonia yet so still got a ways to go...might still find a good one, assuming I can find those ones on the list.

• 3 weeks later...