Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

What's up with the temporary characters' in-battle names?

Alright, this is something that confused me when it first happened, and now that it's happened again I decided to ask about it.

When I was getting the Argon heart with Prince Charmles, he joined my party, of course, and also joined me in battles. But his name was "Damon" during the battles. I didn't know why this was. There was never an explanation, nor was there a mention or anything. 

I'm now much later in the game, and another character has joined my party temporarily for a battle... and yet again their name is not the same.

Marcello joined my party for a boss fight... but in the battle, his name was "Othello". No explanation here either, he was called Marcello until it started.

Anybody have any idea why this is? Is there something I'm not understanding? Did the original have this?

No, the PS2 version doesn't do that.

No, the PS2 version doesn't do that.

...Huh. I watched a video, and Prince Charmles does indeed go by his proper name in battle on the PS2. 

That's really strange!

There's gotta be puns here.

I wonder if it's the localization team having secret fun.

I try to think of what the puns might mean, but they make no sense at all.  It makes me wonder if they are localization mistakes that they just never corrected/updated cause its such a small obscure thing.

• Upvote 1

I'm perplexed by this too... I wonder what caused it. I'm almost certain they weren't trying to change their names. Considering both Charmles and Marcello's names are said in voiced dialogue.. why on Earth would they try to change them?

Almost seems like something in the game system screws up with the temporary party member.

• Upvote 1

I found the truth to what Prince Charmles really is...

00001.png

He is the Pre-Curser to death!

• Upvote 2

Well, that might explain things.

So, where the hell does Othello come from?

Woah, so maybe it's incorrectly grabbing from the list of monster names instead of their regular names? I'm curious now if there's a monster named Othello.

The plot thickens! 

• Upvote 2

There are monsters added in the 3DS version for use in the Monster Arena named Damon and Othello. They likely share some of their coding with those temporary allies.