Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

DQ 3DS Compl8nts

The menu screen is a hideous mess. Box on top of box on top of box on top of box. The text also seems to grow bigger in certain instances.

• Upvote 1

The menu screen is a hideous mess. Box on top of box on top of box on top of box. The text also seems to grow bigger in certain instances.

I actually like the 3DS menu screens way over the PS2 menus.

No longer having a lag anymore is appreciated, but it feels like a total mess. I'm also not into the equip screen since it seems to require the items your equipping be in your character's inventory instead of the bag?

Yeah, requires the item to be in character inventory, which is shortsighted, honestly.

It was like that in DQVII3D too, and I presume other games (been a while since I've played them, I don't remember). One of the more archaic conventions of the series, and I'm glad IX did away with it.

• Upvote 1

It was like that in DQVII3D too, and I presume other games (been a while since I've played them, I don't remember). One of the more archaic conventions of the series, and I'm glad IX did away with it.

This.  Totally this!

Yeah, requires the item to be in character inventory, which is shortsighted, honestly.

Especially since it's a waste of your limited inventory space to keep armor that isn't as effective as the one you're currently wearing in it, and why would you want to switch into it anyways? Weapons maybe. For example, I'm putting skill points for Yangus into axes and scythes, so I'll keep one of each in his inventory in case I need to use a particular skill in battle, but even then that's in battle. And it would probably still be easier to just switch weapons with the item menu then the equip menu when out in the overworld or in towns.

Sucks because they seemed to have put a lot of work into the equip menu too.

• Upvote 1

I wish Cameron's Codex was accessible from the mini menu you can open up on the bottom screen. Or that it was regulated to the select button.

I never thought this could happen, but in a game filled with early aughts PS2 voice acting, somehow, the new voice of Jessica stands out as noticeably poor. She wasn't this bad in Heroes. Was she told to act poorly so that her voice would fit in better with the older voices?

I never thought this could happen, but in a game filled with early aughts PS2 voice acting, somehow, the new voice of Jessica stands out as noticeably poor. She wasn't this bad in Heroes. Was she told to act poorly so that her voice would fit in better with the older voices?

It's been a long time since I played the PS2 version, but it sounds as if she's trying to enunciate every word exactly as the PS2 version's VA did.

I agree with both of you. The 3DS version's menus are so much better than the PS2 version's - no more ridiculous load times!

These new menus are pretty messy, but this is not how the menus worked in the Japanese 3DS version - in the Western version, the menus had to be rearranged (I presume) because of the length of the new text strings. They did something very similar with DQ7 3DS, but not to the same extent. The only alternative would have been to use a smaller font, but if they did that, it'd probably be pretty rough on the eyes.

My main problem with this game is the circle pad. The part where Munchie has to climb up the broom handle to get on Jessica's desk took me about 10 attempts to get up it. The circle pad makes the movement in this game feel really imprecise. If only we had the option to use the D-pad for movement.

I also don't like the circle pad, but it's more of a "me" problem then the game. My finger slips on it.

• Upvote 1

Minor complaint: the one thing I'm hating about the visible encounters now is that it's hard to find the birds on Savella island. At two different points you can find birds who, when spoken to, will give you stat seeds. The problem is with all these other creatures running around on screen, it's become hard to spot the birds. They are small, but they can be spotted since the move around the ground. I don't mind visible encounters, but I'm really hating them here!

Also, the draw distance on the 3DS doesn't help either! Damn birds...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I have a funny complaint. Due to the alchemy pot being instant from the start, I can't do the trick where you'd stick an Yggdrasil Leaf into the pot, then buy one from the Argonian bazaar because the girl doesn't register you already have one, since it's in the pot. Then you take it out and voila! You now have two at once.

Oh $#!& you're right, that trick is gone now! D'oh!

I only have a few complains:

1- The cursor memory is weird. Its non-existent in the field menus but works wonders in the battle menus.

2- The items getting directly to the bag. Spcially annoying at the beginning, when you need the characters to have herbs and you have to go thorugh the non-cursory memory menus.

3- No items pictures in the bag (they're in the Battle Records, though). Why do they keep changing the menus when localizing the games?

4- Stella can repeat outfits before you see all 5 of them.

Aside from these points, i enjoyed this remake a lot more than the original.

Ok, here's a minor complaint about DQ8 that would have been easily implemented.

When you run around town, what do you use? The circle pad.
And how do you turn the camera?......................... with the d-pad which is right below it. You cant possibly move the camera around while you're running! You only have 1 thumb, not 2!

Wouldn't it be easier if there was an option to turn ABXY into a camera control?

Think about it, you could still use RL to speak / open the menu. Or the DPAD itself for more options. You never have to run while having to open the menu xD you can just stop, and press up or down on the d-pad to do whatever functions you want to do that are instead mapped to ABXY right now...

I have a New 3DS XL, but that nub thingy really doesnt feel great at all to rotate the camera.

Edited by kleev_55
  • Upvote 1

Uh, I use L/R to rotate the camera. Why are you using the d-pad?

• Upvote 1

Uh, I use L/R to rotate the camera. Why are you using the d-pad?

That's how I do it.

^ That's like answering "yes" to a someone asking "What do you want to do for dinner? Go out to eat or take-out?"

Are you saying you use the L/R buttons to rotate the camera or the d-pad?

^ That's like answering "yes" to a someone asking "What do you want to do for dinner? Go out to eat or take-out?"

Yes.

I only take "no" for an answer.

No means no, eal.

....Except when it means yes.

I meant to quote just part of that, didn't even mean non-specific here. Yes, L/R. I dislike the D-pad for anything.

I had a college professor who's favorite joke to tell us was every time he'd be on an elevator and someone would ask "is this elevator going up or down?" and he'd reply, "yes!"