Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

DQ 3DS Compl8nts

Minor, but the slime hourglass really sucks in DQVIII 3DS. It's like they forgot to put a boarder around the slimes.  I don't have a photo of them, but the ones in Woodus's signature are much better.

Good: heroes_hourglass.gifdqheroes2ps4_loading2.gif

Bad: DQVIII 3DS

I wish I could have gotten the DQH2 one better, but the copyright screen got in the way ;)

Platty, isn't this kind of nitpicking really hard?

Oh, most definitely.  DQVIII is my favorite DQ depending on the day of the week, but nothing is perfect.

Would you rather I start another waifu topic?

Edited by Plattym3

My one complaint is that sometimes the Hero's shadow clips and goes into hills and the like. It's VERY minor and doesn't bother me that much, but you know...it's one of those things.

*Grabs Brick*

The music quality. Really wish that they would use a better midi/synth quality for music if they insist on using midi/synth for Dragon Quest games.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

The jump between the Great Argon and Dhoulmagus.

Wait, that was always my problem with the game.

Oh, the fact you HAVE to use the control pad for the menus. I hate having to move my left thumb for something that should be easy to do with the circle pad, the control pad is low enough on the system to be a bit uncomfortable to use.

The lack of cursor memory in the menus. It's really a pain when I'm moving a bunch of items around in my inventory. Select Medicinal Herbs, select Transfer, select Yangus, confirm... select Medicinal Herbs, select Transfer AGAIN, select Yangus AGAIN...

And it's not consistent either... cursor memory works during battles, but since I'm used to it NOT working in the menu, I'll wind up automatically casting Heal because I expected the cursor to revert to the top of the menu. Very annoying.

• Upvote 1

Oh, the fact you HAVE to use the control pad for the menus. I hate having to move my left thumb for something that should be easy to do with the circle pad, the control pad is low enough on the system to be a bit uncomfortable to use.

OK, I 100% agree with this.  Seriously, this has actually become a health issue with me!

I sliced my thumb pretty bad about 2 weeks ago.  Deep and ... ouch.  Taking a while to heal.  What sucks is it's right on the part of the thumb that I use to text on a smartphone or press on the control pad.  Texting has been a $#!&@ for 2 weeks with the bandaids on.  Then DQVIII comes.  With a nice rubberized band-aid I can move the control pad just fine.  But the pressure needed to press that damn dumb control pad?  I actually split my thumb back open a bit this weekend playing as I pressed on it too hard playing DQVIII.  I've taken to just using my fingers, but that's slow and hard to do.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T THEY JUST USE THE TOUCH SCREEN FOR EASY MENU ACCESS LIKE MOST 3DS GAMES!!!!????

Or just the regular control pad.  Seriously, that sucks.

Edited by Plattym3

I don't like all these icons that keep appearing over everything and everyone. It's like the game has to tell you what you can interact with, like you're too stupid to figure out you can talk to townspeople and break pots. I've played Dragon Quest and plenty of other RPGs before game, I know who and what I can interact with. The worse part is you can't turn them off.

Oh, most definitely.  DQVIII is my favorite DQ depending on the day of the week, but nothing is perfect.

I'd rather you start another Dark Slime topic so me and Dusk can battle as if it was made by Tite Kubo himself.

I don't like all these icons that keep appearing over everything and everyone. It's like the game has to tell you what you can interact with, like you're too stupid to figure out you can talk to townspeople and break pots. I've played Dragon Quest and plenty of other RPGs before game, I know who and what I can interact with. The worse part is you can't turn them off.

I assumed they were simply a carry over from the iOS/Android version, where they were used to interact with things due to the lack of actual buttons.

Oh, most definitely. DQVIII is my favorite DQ depending on the day of the week, but nothing is perfect.

I'd rather you start another Dark Slime topic so me and Dusk can battle as if it was made by Tite Kubo himself.

That was pretty fun.

The jump between the Great Argon and Dhoulmagus.

Wait, that was always my problem with the game.

Huh. I didn't notice this because for all 3DS RPGs I play I automatically do that. I just like using the d-pad over the circle pad though.

^ I'm the same way. When on the field for movement, circle pad. When navigating menus, d-pad. Etrian games have put me into using the d-pad for most things in RPGs, except in games where you can roam around towns or dungeons like the Bravely games. Then I prefer to use the circle pad for full 360 degree motion.

^ I'm the same way. When on the field for movement, circle pad. When navigating menus, d-pad. Etrian games have put me into using the d-pad for most things in RPGs, except in games where you can roam around towns or dungeons like the Bravely games. Then I prefer to use the circle pad for full 360 degree motion.

OK, very true.  If it wasn't for my bum thumb I bet I wouldn't have noticed much.

But, I'm still pissed they couldn't be bothered to use the touch screen barely at all.  It's mostly what I used in Pokemon.

OK, I 100% agree with this.  Seriously, this has actually become a health issue with me!

I sliced my thumb pretty bad about 2 weeks ago.  Deep and ... ouch.  Taking a while to heal.  What sucks is it's right on the part of the thumb that I use to text on a smartphone or press on the control pad.  Texting has been a $#!&@ for 2 weeks with the bandaids on.  Then DQVIII comes.  With a nice rubberized band-aid I can move the control pad just fine.  But the pressure needed to press that damn dumb control pad?  I actually split my thumb back open a bit this weekend playing as I pressed on it too hard playing DQVIII.  I've taken to just using my fingers, but that's slow and hard to do.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T THEY JUST USE THE TOUCH SCREEN FOR EASY MENU ACCESS LIKE MOST 3DS GAMES!!!!????

Due to me switching between Pokemon and Dragon Quest a lot, I tend to get out the stylist for the touch screen before realizing I'm playing a game that doesn't support it. I do agree that it's pretty annoying.

Edited by Stepchan

DQ8 compl8nt.

I hate that I can't continually dump skill points into one skill tree.

Been dumping points into Yangus's Axe skills. It'll stop you after a certain number based on the level the character is. I've always hated that. I'm just pooling points now because of it.

Due to me switching between Pokemon and Dragon Quest a lot, I tend to get out the stylist for the touch screen before realizing I'm playing a game that doesn't support it. I do agree that it's pretty annoying.

Haha, same here.  I also keep holding down a button to run faster on DQ!

So far the only complaints I have are the lack of the orchestrated soundtrack, and the lack of cursor memory, for the exact reasons others have previously mentioned.

Well, there's the censorship too, but i feel like that's a separate issue altogether. At least it wasn't censorship directed at the western audiences.

Does the main screen look a little too dark to anyone else? I've not had this problem before, not even with DQ7, and I double checked my settings, they didn't get set to darker or anything it's at max brightness and no power save or whatever that other option is. It seems to me like if you have the RGB level on a device to high while the TV is set to low. Not a huge deal, just in the very brief amount of time I've had the game running, that's my only real  "compl8nt" so far.

On the other side, the menus certainly seem snappier than the old US PS2 version where they sure were purty but also a bit laggy.

Yes, actually. I don't think the word "waifu" has ever been uttered by you. It's more of a Sword, King, and I term.

So far the only complaints I have are the lack of the orchestrated soundtrack, and the lack of cursor memory, for the exact reasons others have previously mentioned.

Well, there's the censorship too, but i feel like that's a separate issue altogether. At least it wasn't censorship directed at the western audiences.

The cursor does retain memory inside of a single battle, but that's about it.

The cursor does retain memory inside of a single battle, but that's about it.

And that really just exacerbates the problem.

Does the main screen look a little too dark to anyone else? I've not had this problem before, not even with DQ7, and I double checked my settings, they didn't get set to darker or anything it's at max brightness and no power save or whatever that other option is. It seems to me like if you have the RGB level on a device to high while the TV is set to low. Not a huge deal, just in the very brief amount of time I've had the game running, that's my only real  "compl8nt" so far.

On the other side, the menus certainly seem snappier than the old US PS2 version where they sure were purty but also a bit laggy.

Yeah, the colors and contrast feel "off." A lot of the colors are overly-saturated, like the neon green grass, but the game as a whole seems a bit on the dark side for some reason. Like, playing DQVIII on brightness 5 feels like playing any other game on brightness 3 or 4. It's a little weird.

I feel like there's an odd "blurring" effect when rotating the camera too. It makes me a touch ill.