Sign in to follow this  
Mario

No canon/default name for hero?

Just got the game today, and now I am stuck on that most difficult of segments: The character-naming screen.

Is there no standard name like Madason or Auster this time around? That would make things so much easier.

No. This name is yours to choose. No, Auster is not a canon name either.

I remember the demo version of the PS2 version used "Eight" as the name, so I think that's as close as you're going to get to an official one.

You have to use your creativity to make a name.

His canon name is "Guv"

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Upvote 1

I named the hero after me. 

Not only am I not creative, I have a power fantasy of saving the world.

There is no hope for me.

• Upvote 1

I named the hero after me.

Not only am I not creative, I have a power fantasy of saving the world.

There is no hope for me.

You gotta use that imaginaaaaaaaaaaaation. You can do it! I know you can!

Cre-at-iv...ity? Is that some key item?

He's got my name. Is that good enough?

I've consulted with the judges, and they deem it acceptable to use one's name for the hero.

I'm giving Bururian crap because I know he can be creative with names. He's had some good ones for other games.

I've consulted with the judges, and they deem it acceptable to use one's name for the hero.

I'm giving Bururian crap because I know he can be creative with names. He's had some good ones for other games.

I usually come up with five to ten names for characters (if I can name them) before I play a game and just pick the best out of those. This time around since I have played DQ8 several times, I did the thing I haven't done since I played Wind Waker on the Gamecube when it was new. Name the character after my real name.

I usually come up with five to ten names for characters (if I can name them) before I play a game and just pick the best out of those. This time around since I have played DQ8 several times, I did the thing I haven't done since I played Wind Waker on the Gamecube when it was new. Name the character after my real name.

I always use my name on a first playthrough, but I use different ones on subsequent runs. My current run of Fire Emblem Awakening saw me naming the Avatar Aerin. I'm partial to using Aera for females, but I needed a male equivalent that still had that fantasy feel.

It gets weird when playing Persona though. Using a Japanese surname always looks a tad odd with my first name.

I really like the idea of his name actually being Guv. Given his ancestry, it is kind of fitting too.

• Upvote 1

Throm, Caedric, Dross, Rind, Ponsh, Orcspire, and Ragnok were some good names you came up with.

I take credit for all of those except Throm and Orcspire. I borrowed those from a Fantasy Podcast I listen to. 

I take credit for all of those except Throm and Orcspire. I borrowed those from a Fantasy Podcast I listen to.

5 outta 7 is still pretty good.

5 outta 7 is still pretty good.

They all sound like orc or goblin names.

I named him Hachi, which is Japanese for Eight.

I really like the idea of his name actually being Guv. Given his ancestry, it is kind of fitting too.

Neve rhaving played VIII before, will I regret naming him this?

That depends. Do you want an actual name, or a nickname?

I have a friend who, when given the option to name the main character, will name them BUTTS. He did it for DQ7, he did it for DQ8.

He always does it.

I have a friend who, when given the option to name the main character, will name them BUTTS. He did it for DQ7, he did it for DQ8.

He always does it.

But TastyBob is the one true name for DQ7's hero.

He always does it.

Weird way to spell Hobo Link.

That depends. Do you want an actual name, or a nickname?

Actual, but I've been on the naming screen for four hours now so I'm getting desperate.

He always does it.

Weird way to spell Hobo Link.

And that's a weird way to spell TastyBob.