Jump to content

Dragon Quest VIII Progress


gooieooie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Way behind the times, but I finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago.  Absolutely brilliant remake.  Having the voices is what sold me where the other remakes didn't.  ( and sold me a 3ds as well )  New content just outside the door at Farebury in the form of a blue chest.  DQ knows how to do a remake :)

Still have the second Dhoulmagus in Mem and Estark to take out, two more Stella pics, and then I'm off to annihilate Rhapthorne again with extreme overkill and get the good ending.

Should have my new PC in about a month ( tax return ) and then it will be XI time.  Also ordered VII 3DS to carry me through the intervening time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only purple sparkles left now that Dhoulmagus and Estark have fallen.  Wonder how many resets I'll have to do tomorrow to get her in the purple?  I've been lucky so far and only had to do a max of 3 to get the red today, and which point I used the double bubble on Howlwind Hill to max out everybody's levels before going after the final two super bosses.  Jessica required a few more slain metal critters after the double bubble to max out.

Easily tops my previous #1 remake experience, which was ( blasphemy, I know ) Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls.  Playing all the dead characters in the post-game of 2 was a real treat.  DQ5s remake on the DS was my previous #2, because it was the first time I played it with an engaging translation.  DQ1&2 on the SFC was my previous #3 because of the enhanced music and graphics being such a treat on top of beloved, oft replayed games back in the day.

First time putting points into Fisticuffs.  Never really needed the super evasion or Magic Burst in the original, but it's absolutely critical on Angelo and Jessica in Memories Lane.   Red with whips or Morrie with boomerangs makes for an excellent addition for travelling through low-level enemy areas after blue chests, Stella, etc.  The whole travelling party can now have all-enemy hitting, zero mp attacks with just rapid a-button taps when you accidentally run into a critter.  The uptick in magic damage made Jess much more useful in large enemy party encounters.  Bang-family saved my butt more than once.

Poor Yangus, though.  He gets relegated to the metal-killing squad and sometimes the travelling squad with the Flail of Destruction once you pick up Red/Morrie.  He will be coming with me for the final smackdown on Rhapthorne, because nostalgia, and I won't nee the better abilities to utterly devastate Rhapthorne at level-99 anyway.

First time really using cheeses as well — specifically angel and highly-strung in Memories Lane.  Multi-revive and 1 more rapid super high tension buildup was key to defeating some of the later enemies.

DQ8 was already my most enjoyable gaming experience overall ( several years late to the party then as well ) and the remake has only reinforced that.

DQ is the only remaining series of my original three ( DQ, Castlevania, and FF ) that can still guaranteed sell me on a new gaming system, and DQ8 was responsible for two of those system purchases now.

Here's hoping 9 comes out on the 3ds so I can finally participate with active players and get DLC stuff for once.  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darkniciad said:

Here's hoping 9 comes out on the 3ds so I can finally participate with active players and get DLC stuff for once.  LOL

I doubt a remake of 9 will release at the 3DS at this point. If anything it will be on the Switch if it happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, now that I'm financially stable, with a solid cushion, and my car payment going away next month, that could very well be what sells me a Switch, then.  I noticed 11 coming out on it, but I'm going with the PC release there, because I can afford to build a system that will handle AAA games for several years.

The one I've got now struggled with Dragon Age: Origins, so I knew it wouldn't handle DQ11.  Of course, I bought it a decade ago on a severely restricted budget.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm doing the bonus Super Dungeon, and I am absolutely stuck on Ruin in Memorium. I just cannot keep up, and he has so much health.

Ugh, I still need to go back and do that. 

 

It's on my never-ending list of game goals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm doing the bonus Super Dungeon, and I am absolutely stuck on Ruin in Memorium. I just cannot keep up, and he has so much health.

Does the hero or Red have access to Defending Champion? Having someone (or both) be the meatshields for the party in the first two party slots really helps.

You’ll have to incorporate a lot of stuff you may not normally use as you play against the Memories Lane bosses. Toxic Dagger is an example of that, as it shreds through the dog boss like paper. You’ll find you need to change the party line up a lot and incorporate a Defending Champion and support character. Yangus’s slow speed helps out for the Trimble of tension if you have one and helps you deal some extra damage next turn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Does the hero or Red have access to Defending Champion? Having someone (or both) be the meatshields for the party in the first two party slots really helps.

You’ll have to incorporate a lot of stuff you may not normally use as you play against the Memories Lane bosses. Toxic Dagger is an example of that, as it shreds through the dog boss like paper. You’ll find you need to change the party line up a lot and incorporate a Defending Champion and support character. Yangus’s slow speed helps out for the Trimble of tension if you have one and helps you deal some extra damage next turn.

 

I had used Poison Dagger to get me through both Leopold and Servant of Darkness. I had to deal with the Flame adds by using Kamikaze from the hero which took them out first round. Then Poisoned him and maintained healing while poison did the work for me.

 

I'll have to go back and see what I have available. I kinda just jumped back into it.

Edited by Bururian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bururian said:

 

I had used Poison Dagger to get me through both Leopold and Servant of Darkness. I had to deal with the Flame adds by using Kamikaze from the hero which took them out first round. Then Poisoned him and maintained healing while poison did the work for me.

 

I'll have to go back and see what I have available. I kinda just jumped back into it.

Bosses start getting pretty hard after the Ruin fight. He’s the start of that sudden difficulty increase. It’s a tough fight, but having a Defending Champion is a good idea from here on out. I THINK Red can get it faster in her fisticuffs line than the hero can, but you may have to double check.

Whenever you get back to it, good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Ugh, I still need to go back and do that. 

 

It's on my never-ending list of game goals. 

I thought I HAD done it before I got with my friend to get images of the bosses from the bestiary, only to find out I hadn't even started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bururian said:

I thought I HAD done it before I got with my friend to get images of the bosses from the bestiary, only to find out I hadn't even started.

Yeah, I can't remember where I heard about it, I assumed it was somewhere here in the Den...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving a dead post but I recently started playing the 3DS version of 8. 

I'm just after the part where you help the mourning king. Found that amazing area that spawns Metal slimes and been using the camera refresh to grind those out. 

I went with a basic build for my team, swords/Courage for Hero, Axe/Fist on Yangus, Whips/Wands on Jessica and Bows and swords on Angelo. 

 

Anyone playing this again or for the first time in 2021? Lol

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Branny said:

Sorry for reviving a dead post but I recently started playing the 3DS version of 8. 

I'm just after the part where you help the mourning king. Found that amazing area that spawns Metal slimes and been using the camera refresh to grind those out. 

I went with a basic build for my team, swords/Courage for Hero, Axe/Fist on Yangus, Whips/Wands on Jessica and Bows and swords on Angelo. 

 

Anyone playing this again or for the first time in 2021? Lol

I’ve been thinking I’m due for a replay, but I’m leaning more toward DQ VII for 2021 and DQ VIII perhaps in 2022. The question is whether to play the original versions or the 3DS remakes. 🤔 

...likely the remakes for the portability, if I’m being honest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

I’ve been thinking I’m due for a replay, but I’m leaning more toward DQ VII for 2021 and DQ VIII perhaps in 2022. The question is whether to play the original versions or the 3DS remakes. 🤔 

...likely the remakes for the portability, if I’m being honest.

I've shamefully not beaten the 3DS version of VII. I've been playing it on and off over the last 4 yrs.. >.<

I'm nearly done though, just gotta work on the element fights. 

But I've really enjoyed 8 again, I've owned the 3ds version since it released but kinda just sat on it, a horrible habit of mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've shamefully not beaten the 3DS version of VII. I've been playing it on and off over the last 4 yrs.. >. I'm nearly done though, just gotta work on the element fights. 
But I've really enjoyed 8 again, I've owned the 3ds version since it released but kinda just sat on it, a horrible habit of mine.
It happens! I didn't get around to actually putting time into Dragon Quest Builders until a month before Builders 2 came out. Sometimes we need a good reminder of how great DQ is and to get off our butts and play it already!

I'm still waiting on that for 11S, but I know it'll happen some day!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

It happens! I didn't get around to actually putting time into Dragon Quest Builders until a month before Builders 2 came out. Sometimes we need a good reminder of how great DQ is and to get off our butts and play it already!

I'm still waiting on that for 11S, but I know it'll happen some day!

I'm just a big rpg collector, rocking a physical rpg collection of over 1k games... so it's hard to play them all, but I make an effort. I was really feeling DQ8 the other day and pulled out my copy and picked up on my save (Right after getting Angelo) and really having fun. It didnt really click for me on the 3ds release.. 

I finally completed my Switch DQ11S playthrough. The extra super boss was interesting and challenging. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2021 at 5:00 AM, Plattym3 said:

It happens! I didn't get around to actually putting time into Dragon Quest Builders until a month before Builders 2 came out. Sometimes we need a good reminder of how great DQ is and to get off our butts and play it already!

I'm still waiting on that for 11S, but I know it'll happen some day!

And I’m currently pulling the same shenanigans with Bravely Default. Over here playing the first one while you and Yangus race the second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

And I’m currently pulling the same shenanigans with Bravely Default. Over here playing the first one while you and Yangus race the second.

It's a one-legged race so far. I'm trying to spend more time on Hyrule Warriors and maybe 20 mins a night on BD2 since ole' Yangus's copy hasn't shipped yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2021 at 6:04 AM, Plattym3 said:

It's a one-legged race so far. I'm trying to spend more time on Hyrule Warriors and maybe 20 mins a night on BD2 since ole' Yangus's copy hasn't shipped yet.

You’re going to regret it if he blows past you 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’re going to regret it if he blows past you
We changed the rules, so he's likely already blown past me!

We're now racing to see who can finish BOTH Bravely Default 2 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon first. Gotta roll those double credits.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 6:35 AM, Plattym3 said:

We changed the rules, so he's likely already blown past me! emoji23.png

We're now racing to see who can finish BOTH Bravely Default 2 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon first. Gotta roll those double credits.

I saw! I’m thrilled to track the race!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...