Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

Dragon Quest VIII Progress

I would if they didn't stop fleeing. And I know there's no way you can stop them doing that ^^'

Between rotating the camera to change enemy spawns and critical hit skills they are manageable. Especially with Morrie’s crit skills. Up to you of course. Edited by AzureVoid

I would if they didn't stop fleeing. And I know there's no way you can stop them doing that ^^'

Between rotating the camera to change enemy spawns and critical hit skills they are manageable. Especially with Morrie’s crit skills. Up to you of course.

Yangus' Executioner move was my go-to. It worked about 30% of the time.

Along with other random critical hits, I was killing about 40% of the MKS I encountered.

• Upvote 1

Between rotating the camera to change enemy spawns and critical hit skills they are manageable. Especially with Morrie’s crit skills. Up to you of course.
Yeah, they were incredibly easier to farm in this game than any other DQ. Look away, look back! The camera trick was golden! Or rather, experiencen!
  • Upvote 1

Going through the Dragovian trials. I want to get all of the Dragovian armour for the hero and maybe the super powerful monster.

Way behind the times, but I finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago.  Absolutely brilliant remake.  Having the voices is what sold me where the other remakes didn't.  ( and sold me a 3ds as well )  New content just outside the door at Farebury in the form of a blue chest.  DQ knows how to do a remake :)

Still have the second Dhoulmagus in Mem and Estark to take out, two more Stella pics, and then I'm off to annihilate Rhapthorne again with extreme overkill and get the good ending.

Should have my new PC in about a month ( tax return ) and then it will be XI time.  Also ordered VII 3DS to carry me through the intervening time.

• Like 1

Only purple sparkles left now that Dhoulmagus and Estark have fallen.  Wonder how many resets I'll have to do tomorrow to get her in the purple?  I've been lucky so far and only had to do a max of 3 to get the red today, and which point I used the double bubble on Howlwind Hill to max out everybody's levels before going after the final two super bosses.  Jessica required a few more slain metal critters after the double bubble to max out.

Easily tops my previous #1 remake experience, which was ( blasphemy, I know ) Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls.  Playing all the dead characters in the post-game of 2 was a real treat.  DQ5s remake on the DS was my previous #2, because it was the first time I played it with an engaging translation.  DQ1&2 on the SFC was my previous #3 because of the enhanced music and graphics being such a treat on top of beloved, oft replayed games back in the day.

First time putting points into Fisticuffs.  Never really needed the super evasion or Magic Burst in the original, but it's absolutely critical on Angelo and Jessica in Memories Lane.   Red with whips or Morrie with boomerangs makes for an excellent addition for travelling through low-level enemy areas after blue chests, Stella, etc.  The whole travelling party can now have all-enemy hitting, zero mp attacks with just rapid a-button taps when you accidentally run into a critter.  The uptick in magic damage made Jess much more useful in large enemy party encounters.  Bang-family saved my butt more than once.

Poor Yangus, though.  He gets relegated to the metal-killing squad and sometimes the travelling squad with the Flail of Destruction once you pick up Red/Morrie.  He will be coming with me for the final smackdown on Rhapthorne, because nostalgia, and I won't nee the better abilities to utterly devastate Rhapthorne at level-99 anyway.

First time really using cheeses as well — specifically angel and highly-strung in Memories Lane.  Multi-revive and 1 more rapid super high tension buildup was key to defeating some of the later enemies.

DQ8 was already my most enjoyable gaming experience overall ( several years late to the party then as well ) and the remake has only reinforced that.

DQ is the only remaining series of my original three ( DQ, Castlevania, and FF ) that can still guaranteed sell me on a new gaming system, and DQ8 was responsible for two of those system purchases now.

Here's hoping 9 comes out on the 3ds so I can finally participate with active players and get DLC stuff for once.  LOL

1 hour ago, Darkniciad said:

Here's hoping 9 comes out on the 3ds so I can finally participate with active players and get DLC stuff for once.  LOL

I doubt a remake of 9 will release at the 3DS at this point. If anything it will be on the Switch if it happens.

I doubt a remake of 9 will release at the 3DS at this point. If anything it will be on the Switch if it happens.
Yep.

Well, now that I'm financially stable, with a solid cushion, and my car payment going away next month, that could very well be what sells me a Switch, then.  I noticed 11 coming out on it, but I'm going with the PC release there, because I can afford to build a system that will handle AAA games for several years.

The one I've got now struggled with Dragon Age: Origins, so I knew it wouldn't handle DQ11.  Of course, I bought it a decade ago on a severely restricted budget.

• Like 1

I'm doing the bonus Super Dungeon, and I am absolutely stuck on Ruin in Memorium. I just cannot keep up, and he has so much health.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm doing the bonus Super Dungeon, and I am absolutely stuck on Ruin in Memorium. I just cannot keep up, and he has so much health.

Ugh, I still need to go back and do that. 

It's on my never-ending list of game goals. 

22 hours ago, Bururian said:

Does the hero or Red have access to Defending Champion? Having someone (or both) be the meatshields for the party in the first two party slots really helps.

You’ll have to incorporate a lot of stuff you may not normally use as you play against the Memories Lane bosses. Toxic Dagger is an example of that, as it shreds through the dog boss like paper. You’ll find you need to change the party line up a lot and incorporate a Defending Champion and support character. Yangus’s slow speed helps out for the Trimble of tension if you have one and helps you deal some extra damage next turn.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Does the hero or Red have access to Defending Champion? Having someone (or both) be the meatshields for the party in the first two party slots really helps.

You’ll have to incorporate a lot of stuff you may not normally use as you play against the Memories Lane bosses. Toxic Dagger is an example of that, as it shreds through the dog boss like paper. You’ll find you need to change the party line up a lot and incorporate a Defending Champion and support character. Yangus’s slow speed helps out for the Trimble of tension if you have one and helps you deal some extra damage next turn.

I had used Poison Dagger to get me through both Leopold and Servant of Darkness. I had to deal with the Flame adds by using Kamikaze from the hero which took them out first round. Then Poisoned him and maintained healing while poison did the work for me.

I'll have to go back and see what I have available. I kinda just jumped back into it.

Edited by Bururian

19 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I had used Poison Dagger to get me through both Leopold and Servant of Darkness. I had to deal with the Flame adds by using Kamikaze from the hero which took them out first round. Then Poisoned him and maintained healing while poison did the work for me.

I'll have to go back and see what I have available. I kinda just jumped back into it.

Bosses start getting pretty hard after the Ruin fight. He’s the start of that sudden difficulty increase. It’s a tough fight, but having a Defending Champion is a good idea from here on out. I THINK Red can get it faster in her fisticuffs line than the hero can, but you may have to double check.

Whenever you get back to it, good luck!

3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Ugh, I still need to go back and do that. 

It's on my never-ending list of game goals. 

I thought I HAD done it before I got with my friend to get images of the bosses from the bestiary, only to find out I hadn't even started.

21 hours ago, Bururian said:

I thought I HAD done it before I got with my friend to get images of the bosses from the bestiary, only to find out I hadn't even started.

Yeah, I can't remember where I heard about it, I assumed it was somewhere here in the Den...